Alfa Romeo C43

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FDD
FDD

Re: Alfa Romeo C43

organic wrote:
14 Sep 2023, 15:32
Floor update for Alfa Romeo at Singapore. To me it looks like they've focused on the forward part of the floor edge, a place where small geometry changes can extract a lot of performance (as any improvement here propagates upstream through the floor fence VG system.

https://i.imgur.com/C8o1VBp.png

Full body comparison to earlier in the season with comparable angle for if anyone else can spot changes / refer back to in future:

https://i.imgur.com/H7DSEp6.jpg
With the new floor/sidepod it looks to me like they now insist on downwash instead of previous clear inwash concept.

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 17:28
With the new floor/sidepod it looks to me like they now insist on downwash instead of previous clear inwash concept.
Indeed, the ramp is wider and forms an indent on the side like RB and Mercedes have. My guess is this indent is a pressurisation zone (wouldn't call it stagnation zone for sure) in yaw (so corners and crosswind conditions in a way) which helps with keeping the wake outside the diffuser area
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Sep 2023, 08:32
FDD wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 17:28
Indeed, the ramp is wider and forms an indent on the side like RB and Mercedes have. My guess is this indent is a pressurisation zone (wouldn't call it stagnation zone for sure) in yaw (so corners and crosswind conditions in a way) which helps with keeping the wake outside the diffuser area
Thank you for the explanation.
I have one question, do you think that they also ensure better feeding of the diffuser through the mouse hole with this pressuaration, to work it harder for more downforce?

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
26 Sep 2023, 19:31
Thank you for the explanation.
I have one question, do you think that they also ensure better feeding of the diffuser through the mouse hole with this pressuaration, to work it harder for more downforce?
I can't say to be honest, but I believe at least indirectly it improves diffuser performance in corners by keeping the wake out of it. Whether it can also somehow "pump" more air in, not sure, it may be specific to each car and how it handles vortex structures in that area.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

interesting floor edge wing development from Alfa Romeo. Quite similar to Merc but doesn't have the triangular strakes on the underside

michl420
michl420

Alfa Romeo has the most imaginative rear wing end plates all year round.(usa, monza)

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis