2023 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: 2023 car comparison thread

Tale of two cannons.

π“„€

mzso
mzso

Papi Chulo wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2023, 12:24
Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2023, 10:44
Papi Chulo wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2023, 08:09
My first post here, but had step in. These fairings are not for low drag. I am an aviator and these are a support for the flaps, the flaps have huge loads on them.
I did wonder if he was referring to the wing-body fairing (it's referenced below the picture of the Red Bull), but my understanding of that fairing is that it's more to do with the Area Rule approach to reducing transonic drag and so not really relevant to an F1 car.
That is for wing support. Also huge loads on that, just structural.
Surely not. It's much extended to be just structural. Besides, nothing's really "just structural" when when it's exposed to the airflow.

Sevach
Sevach

The Alfa is really enourmous, no other team is that big.
Somewhat weird given that Ferrari and Haas that run the same engine have the smallest rear exits.

IMHO, Audi needs to bring some help to this tech department and quick.

vorticism

Sevach wrote: ↑
02 Jul 2023, 09:14
The Alfa is really enourmous, no other team is that big.
Somewhat weird given that Ferrari and Haas that run the same engine have the smallest rear exits.

IMHO, Audi needs to bring some help to this tech department and quick.
It stands out, almost as wide as the diffuser. I see things like this and assume it has to do with less optimized internals, or running mid field or end of pack. Alpine also runs lots of cooling exit (big louvers + medium size cannon). Which got me thinking that Alfa might be intentionally large for external aero rather than totally about cooling. The cannon is WIDE but not tall (full round corners per min radius [100mm?]). That said they don't have to run louvers...

Third option: no louvers means no money spent on louvers.

π“„€

Vanja #66

Outwash generation has evolved to allow for decent full-length undercuts as demonstrated by both cars, by using big bump geometry on the sidepods. This creates a narrow channel for the rear part of the undercut with converging undercut under the intake - where the pressurisation takes place. So instead of a blunt, draggy design of F1-75 and early AMR23 with a "simple" outwash intake undercut, this solution allows for less frontal area for a decent outwash effect.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

The new Ferrari beamwing config is quite similar to the RB18 beamwing.
from @FDataAnalysis on twitter

SiLo

Vanja #66 wrote: ↑
04 Jul 2023, 09:40
Outwash generation has evolved to allow for decent full-length undercuts as demonstrated by both cars, by using big bump geometry on the sidepods. This creates a narrow channel for the rear part of the undercut with converging undercut under the intake - where the pressurisation takes place. So instead of a blunt, draggy design of F1-75 and early AMR23 with a "simple" outwash intake undercut, this solution allows for less frontal area for a decent outwash effect.

https://storage.googleapis.com/fp-media ... errari.jpg
Look how shallow the RB front floor is. It slopes down at a much more obtuse angle than the Ferrari in front. Ferrari is almost flat by the time they get to the strakes, whereas RB continues all the way down the car almost to the centre point.
Felipe Baby!

vorticism

SiLo wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2023, 16:16
Vanja #66 wrote: ↑
04 Jul 2023, 09:40

https://storage.googleapis.com/fp-media ... errari.jpg
Look how shallow the RB front floor is. It slopes down at a much more obtuse angle than the Ferrari in front. Ferrari is almost flat by the time they get to the strakes, whereas RB continues all the way down the car almost to the centre point.
vorticism wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2023, 21:15

I think they're the only one doing this because their sidepod undercut is pushed farther forward than other teams, corresponding with this steep floor ramp, everything is more compressed forward. If it was swept back like RB or McL the bulb cover would need to be even larger. As well since their floor is so low so far forward, they might not be able to hide a SIPS in there without a huge cover. So, we might be looking at the two choices depending on legality boxes:

SIPS high in sidepod when floor is low in region (Ferrari)
SIPS low in floor when floor is high in region (RB, McL, AMF1)
π“„€

Vanja #66

SiLo wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2023, 16:16
It's not quite down the middle of the allowed height, but yeah, RB hadn't changed the floor inlet since Bahrain. Ferrari did it twice and they raised the outboard height both times.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

KimiRai
KimiRai

vorticism

π“„€

chrisc90

Special livery picture from Sky F1.

Just need a Red Bull on there now for the side comparison that the MCL60 looks very close to the RB19

chrisc90

The McLaren that supposedly looks like a RB19 according to Lewis. Looks more like the AMR if you ask me!

Willy
Willy

chrisc90 wrote: ↑
09 Jul 2023, 14:32
The McLaren that supposedly looks like a RB19 according to Lewis. Looks more like the AMR if you ask me!

https://i.postimg.cc/Wpg8vqTN/mclRB.jpg
It puzzles me as why so many people think they have copied Red Bull? That water slide came from Ferrari and Aston did a bit of hybrid of Red Bull and Ferrari. Then Ferrari started moving more towards Aston in their side pod design, while Aston also started diverging. May be there is a bit of relevance to floor, but that's about it. None of them have copied Red Bull's anti dive front suspension. If anything, Aston, Ferrari and McLaren look a lot similar. Now Williams moving towards that.

vorticism

Yeah, the Mclaren and AM are the most closely related cars on the grid currentyl, imo. That said. All the cars are trending toward the RB18.

Akxchually πŸ€“ the waterslide must be credited to Alpine.
π“„€