Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari SF23

FDD wrote:
12 May 2023, 21:38
Does what you described here is actually connected with the "peakiness" of the car?
Well, it's one of the consequences. If you have a car performance peak at a small operating window, when it drops out it can also lose balance, which is what I described. From what I recall, "peaky" car is usually related to aero performance, but since last year suspension plays a huge part in overall aero performance. However, what Clear was talking about seems to refer to the being in or out of this good-balance peak depending a lot on ride height and floor position relative to rear tyres. That's where I see similarities to floor flex issues of SF23 that I believe W13 had the entire last season.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

S D

Vanja #66 wrote:
13 May 2023, 07:46
FDD wrote:
12 May 2023, 21:38
Does what you described here is actually connected with the "peakiness" of the car?
Well, it's one of the consequences. If you have a car performance peak at a small operating window, when it drops out it can also lose balance, which is what I described. From what I recall, "peaky" car is usually related to aero performance, but since last year suspension plays a huge part in overall aero performance. However, what Clear was talking about seems to refer to the being in or out of this good-balance peak depending a lot on ride height and floor position relative to rear tyres. That's where I see similarities to floor flex issues of SF23 that I believe W13 had the entire last season.
Do you suppose that the new floor does not perform as expected because it was designed to work in anticipation of the changes that are coming in the new few races?

In particular the new suspension? After all isn't everything supposed to work in concert?

sucof

Adding to the suspension subject:
Although I think the importance of the suspension was always underrated in this forum, probably because aerodynamic components are the most visible thing on a car, do not forget that beside the move to make underbody aerodynamics more important, the tires changed as well!
These new tires rely on suspension a lot more than the previous ones, and also allow more control by the suspension regarding how the car behaves.
So tires also made suspension more important.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

sucof wrote:
13 May 2023, 19:16
Although I think the importance of the suspension was always underrated in this forum, probably because aerodynamic components are the most visible thing on a car, do not forget that beside the move to make underbody aerodynamics more important, the tires changed as well!
These new tires rely on suspension a lot more than the previous ones, and also allow more control by the suspension regarding how the car behaves.
Everyone benefitted from this. Instead of having to deal with undamped tire dynamics, more of the control is in the suspension. This should have made the job easier.

sucof

AR3-GP wrote:
13 May 2023, 19:48
sucof wrote:
Everyone benefitted from this. Instead of having to deal with undamped tire dynamics, more of the control is in the suspension. This should have made the job easier.
My post was not about who benefited from this. Just a simple fact.
But as you mentioned this, teams who were better at suspension in general are benefiting from this, compared to the ones who neglected this area.

hollus

This is the official Ferrari SF23 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the SF23 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread[/url].

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team thread.

What a "news" outlet read in another newspaper that someone thinks should happen is the very definition of speculation. Those posts are deleted. Please, if you want to post those, do it in the team thread. The only future developments that should appear in car threads are if the source is the team itself. Otherwise, we can speculate on a six wheel car, it is noise.
Rivals, not enemies.

Sevach
Sevach

sucof wrote:
For a fair bit of time suspensions where talked about because of it's external aero characteristics.
The 2020 Mercedes rear main innovation was lining up it's lower arms in a way that brought aero benefit.

The current set of rules put emphasis back on suspension doing "suspension work", ride height became way more critical and how your car performs across the range.
People, even the teams, are rediscovering suspension.

gordonthegun

gordonthegun wrote:
05 May 2023, 19:32
About the diffuser as well, it's a hard work to find any difference.
The angle of the keel seems different, but, again, it might be the angle of the shot.

BAKU:

MIAMI:
So, I was not the only one to have seen a change in the keel in Miami:

Last edited by gordonthegun on 15 May 2023, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

S D wrote:
13 May 2023, 19:12
Do you suppose that the new floor does not perform as expected because it was designed to work in anticipation of the changes that are coming in the new few races?
The floor updates were a step forward and up to team's expectations, as was reported.

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-confir ... o-drivers/

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

vorticism

Looks like the skate beneath the CS in those pics.
𓄀

gordonthegun

Drawings by Giorgio Piola:

gordonthegun

I read in several motorsport sites that Ferrari will not bring the new suspension, as it could not be correctly evaluated, but instead there will be a change to the final part of the floor before the keel in the diffuser (basically a new floor).

I don't know what to think. The floor just got changed in Miami, so why change it again and use it in non optimal conditions?
And if you have already built a new suspension why not start using it even in not optimal conditions?
Last edited by Stu on 23 May 2023, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic parts removed

gordonthegun

Vanja #66

No changes to the front wing for high downforce spec. We will likely see last year's high downforce rear wing:

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

gordonthegun