Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Andi76
Andi76

Re: Ferrari SF23

gordonthegun wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 19:32
Andi76 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 19:22
Manfer wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 19:07
New images of the floor edges.
Lot going on there

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... oor-1.webp

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... oor-1.webp
Looks like the bathtubs are gone and like the top is completely straight.... in no way like Red Bull, at least as far as you can tell at the moment, which would be welcome because I would be happy if not all cars become too similar.
But maybe the angle is deceiving and you just can't see the downwashing part.
I think that the downwhashing part will start at the end of the sidepods and will consequently be rather steep.
If that's the case, I'm curious to see how they manage to keep the flow attached. Anyway - theres something about these sidpods that reminds me of something....
Last edited by Andi76 on 01 Jun 2023, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

gordonthegun

And what about the rear suspension? Have they changed it too?

scuderiabrandon

scuderiabrandon wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 19:31

Something strange about the top of the sidepod, I don't think were seeing the full picture here the transition in bodywork looks off from this angle. I'm going to predict a very narrow but deep gulley on the inside
If there were to be a gulley more inboard would the s-duct outlet be pointing straight into it?

marcel171281
marcel171281

scuderiabrandon wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 19:31

Something strange about the top of the sidepod, I don't think were seeing the full picture here the transition in bodywork looks off from this angle. I'm going to predict a very narrow but deep gulley on the inside
Looks like the top is covered with a plate of some sort.

gordonthegun

F1ern wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 19:36
gordonthegun wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 19:34
I wonder what that minimal change to the mirror cover is for.
Maybe it interacts better with the new sidepod?
Oh, sure!
Ferrari have to compare the 2 versions of the car on track to be sure of an improvement but they can know that 3 centimeters less on the upper mirror cover interact better with the new sidepods.

Only the pursuit of weight reduction might justify that. Nothing related to aero.

If Ferrari had aero simulation tools able to establish that 3 centimeters less of mirror cover can bring an improvement they could easily win the championship before the half of the season and we won't be here to hope for new magic changes.

Vanja #66

gordonthegun wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 20:02
If Ferrari had aero simulation tools able to establish that 3 centimeters less of mirror cover can bring an improvement they could easily win the championship before the half of the season and we won't be here to hope for new magic changes.
It's not about making magic improvements, it's about using vortex structures in the best way and the best amount to influence the downstream flow in the way the team considers the best. Take a look at this video, where this topic is explained in a lot of detail using two very different models to show how different geometries generate different vortex structures.

Mirrors and their winglets are exactly in this area of interest. 3cm are not the driving factor, but it's a change they consider worth investing into (new tooling is expensive). On the contrary, these parts are so light that weight reduction is not even a topic.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

NGL those side pods looks basic. However I’m sure that they’ve done what they possibly can given the constraints in which they’re working with. I think it’s quite telling that the bathtubs are gone, and what that means for the 2024 car is probably a car that is even further aligned to that of the overall RB concept…

Will be interesting to see how the s duct exit is worked into the concept and where that plays into the overall aero concept.

Finally be interesting to see if they have brought any suspension updates to this.

gordonthegun

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 20:07
gordonthegun wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 20:02
It's not about making magic improvements, it's about using vortex structures in the best way and the best amount to influence the downstream flow in the way the team considers the best. Take a look at this video, where this topic is explained in a lot of detail using two very different models to show how different geometries generate different vortex structures.

Mirrors and their winglets are exactly in this area of interest. 3cm are not the driving factor, but it's a change they consider worth investing into (new tooling is expensive). On the contrary, these parts are so light that weight reduction is not even a topic.
OK. Surely you are more experienced than me in aero and probably right.

gordonthegun

The bodywork around the exhaust pipe is more detached from it than before, probably due to cooling needs since the first set of louvers (the black ones) aren't there any more.
The fin at the beginning of the floor (where a QR code is placed) is different too. Now it has 2 angles of 90°.

Last edited by gordonthegun on 01 Jun 2023, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

New bellies?
No, not good! Same bugs as always.
My implicit and innate wind tunnel tells me at first glance that there is no forward elongation of the lower lip of the side air intakes such as to bring the attachment to the height of the central pin of the halo (see RB).
Why do I say this?
I say this because a more pronounced lower lip forward sends the same air above the radiators but gathers much more to send under the CoG (center of gravity), gaining many tenths of a second in terms of downforce.
Not only that, a good chunk of the lower bellies could be cut in terms of aerodynamics and the sliding flow of the air which would point towards a precise center creating less resistance to penetration.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect anything new in Barcelona in terms of results.

organic

You are drawing conclusions that cannot be made from a picture.

Secondly, the lower sidepod inlet lip is extended forwards relative to the upper lip. #-o

Xyz22
Xyz22

LostInTranslation wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 20:48
New bellies?
My implicit and innate wind tunnel tells me at first glance that there is no forward elongation of the lower lip of the side air intakes such as to bring the attachment to the height of the central pin of the halo (see RB).
Why do I say this?
I say this because a more pronounced lower lip forward sends the same air above the radiators but gathers much more to send under the CoG (center of gravity), gaining many tenths of a second in terms of downforce.
Not only that, a good chunk of the lower bellies could be cut in terms of aerodynamics and the sliding flow of the air which would point towards a precise center creating less resistance to penetration.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect anything new in Barcelona in terms of results.
I mean it's clear they won't match the RB. The goal is to be able to fight with MB and AM which have been way better.

Andi76
Andi76

Absolutely. Reminds me of the B196s sidepods...

Andi76
Andi76

LostInTranslation wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 20:48
New bellies?
Why do I say this?
Wow - all the F1 teams must be after you and you must be making millions if you can see all this with your naked eyes. Ferrari - here is one who is a hundred times better than Newey! Get him! Quickly! Come on, man.

But seriously - you are aware that the Ferrari 2017 invented this "underbite"? And also the person is still there who came up with it? So they know quite well what advantages and disadvantages this has and why to do or not to do.
Last edited by Andi76 on 01 Jun 2023, 21:14, edited 3 times in total.

tpe
tpe

I was sure about the year.
Then I remember that F198 had different sidepod, went back in time but I completely forgot the Benetton. Only after your post it made a click.

Designed by Byrne of course...