Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Ferrari SF23

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 14:00
organic wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 13:57
How boring :( :D
The two could be connected as simple bypass without cooling purposes, but if that's allowed I would have made it at least twice as wide :mrgreen:
Hahaha forget sidepod you build a throughpod

jumpingfish

I don't see the bump that was on Haas..

organic

jumpingfish wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 14:09
I don't see the bump that was on Haas..
Yeah the bodywork isn't slimmed down at the rear as much as the Haas I think

F1NAC

Multiple f1 news outlets were reporting canon exit RB alike, and it is nowhere to be seen. So yeah. It was all in fact.. Speculation. With random inserts like "according to insider" to gain exposure.

ing.

As with the Haas, the downwash hold-outs. 😉

Since downwash globally results in lift on sidepods, this design is understandable. Here they dump cooling air into the low pressure areas to reduce lift further.

Also, the undercut leaves huge amount of exposed floor area, like what Merc were trying last year.

Xyz22
Xyz22

tpe
tpe

Andi76 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 13:34
tpe wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 12:56
So, this is the car that was supposed to be an upgrade in 2022, but budget etc etc etc etc.

I cannot believe that this is the 2023 car! I mean, it's almost the same as the 2022 car!
Well, let's face it - the F1-75 was the fastest car in 2022. The race trim was the problem. So if you've worked out the bugs in that regard, made better use of the tires, reduced drag - then surely an evolution was better than building a radically different car. The front wing looks even more center loaded with more outwash. The underbody intake has been modified and moved back a bit, as has the smaller intake of the sidepods, the lower element of the front wing has been offset and the nose is now only attached to the second element. So there are plenty of detail changes here even at first glance. Personally, I think it's absolutely the right decision to make an evolution of an obviously very good concept, and improve it in the crucial places. This is how you actually win world championships - not by copying or constantly changing your concept! Especially when you already have a very good and especially fast one, which only had a few "teething troubles"!

I also honestly do not understand how you can be disappointed here - all the other teams have done nothing but copied Ferrari and Red Bull, while Ferrari has remained true to its line and has further developed its concept! That's a lot better than if you had now like all the others to their own concept still copied Red Bull!
I am not disappointed!
Just pointing the fact that in previous years most of those changes would have been in 2022 car. But budget cap, or rather not good use of it by Ferrari, meant3that we see it in 2023,

Mansell89
Mansell89

I still think Ferrari probably had the best downforce of all teams last season and therefore a refinement looks a sensible approach.

With reliability for the PU and a reduced drag without the expense of losing downforce, you’d expect them to be bang there again wouldn’t you?

I think it looks a really smart refinement and am excited to see how it performs.

GrrG

GrrG

GrrG

Vanja #66

Please use edit button to avoid posting 2-3-4... times in a row! Thanks!
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Andi76
Andi76

F1NAC wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 14:11
Multiple f1 news outlets were reporting canon exit RB alike, and it is nowhere to be seen. So yeah. It was all in fact.. Speculation. With random inserts like "according to insider" to gain exposure.

These people don't understand two things - one is that Ferrari has extremely strict contracts regarding secrecy even by F1 standards. No member of the F1 team is allowed to talk about the car without the approval of the PR department. So all these things that were allegedly revealed "under the table" are nothing more than a deliberate, and also approved, deception. Anything else would require written permission from Ferrari or would be a blatant breach of contract. It has to be said that Ferrari has done this very cleverly this time, because all this went so far that it wouldn't have surprised me if the new car had actually gone more in the direction of the rumors. Fortunately, that's not the case, and that's the second thing that most people don't understand - that at the moment there are people influencing the design of the car who have always been more about evolution than revolution and know that this is the way to win world championships.

michl420
michl420

wowgr8 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 14:00

Why would it be illegal if it fits inside that regulatory box where louvres and such are allowed
There are very specific rules for louvres. You can not put a hole there instead (in general).

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

I’m over 30 so don’t know how to use the internet, but the second pic (top down of the engine cover/rear suspension) - she’s tiny! I barely comprehend how they fit a gearbox in there somewhere?

Link: