Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Red Bull RB19

All images from The Race

Looking purely at the upper half of the sidepod (all painted parts) including the inlet scoop, mirror supports: they are surely a reused/carried over specification

Side comparison shows that the rb19 has a proper t-tray like McLaren debuted with which is a bit unusual for the grid. Most have what RB18 had.

Side comparison also shows the overhanging uppermost front wing element which sits much beyond the endplate

Vanja #66

ringo wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 21:04
Could the geometry be design in such a way that at very low ride heights the car is riding on the resistance of the control arms more than the springs?
Far from an expert on suspension here, but it seemed too smooth to be running on arms as springs to me. However, "spring" arms combined with tyre deformation (maybe like helpers :lol: ), well... That could sound like Newey's way of doing things, right?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

From the-race photos above:

It was previously mentioned that the rake angle of the front upper control arm had increased. It seems that front upper control arm has also been moved backwards inside the monocoque. So that would have been a design change in the monocoque spec.

organic

Nobody has picked up on that anywhere as far as I've seen. Great spot

ringo

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 22:40
ringo wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 21:04
Could the geometry be design in such a way that at very low ride heights the car is riding on the resistance of the control arms more than the springs?
Far from an expert on suspension here, but it seemed too smooth to be running on arms as springs to me. However, "spring" arms combined with tyre deformation (maybe like helpers :lol: ), well... That could sound like Newey's way of doing things, right?
It can run on the arms and be overdamped at those displacements. The damper arrangement is another part of making this work of course.
The tyres are a part of it yes, but would be the same for the other cars.
For Sure!!

Vanja #66

ringo wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 23:27
It can run on the arms and be overdamped at those displacements. The damper arrangement is another part of making this work of course.
The tyres are a part of it yes, but would be the same for the other cars.
Yup, that's a Newey signature move :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PhillipM
PhillipM

Don't see how that would be anything special or any different from tuning bumpstop shims.
If it was just running on stops and arm flex it wouldn't be overdamped it'd be massively underdamped.

ringo

Last year's car:

Very similar characteristics.

Did anyone truly make sense of last year's rear suspension?
The secret may be hiding in plain sight.
For Sure!!

ringo

PhillipM wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 23:36
Don't see how that would be anything special or any different from tuning bumpstop shims.
If it was just running on stops and arm flex it wouldn't be overdamped it'd be massively underdamped.
Right, but what if it was not running on bump stops, but engaged another damper., while giving up engagement or leverage on the main spring and damper. Is this done in elsewhere?
For Sure!!

organic

Ex-F1 aero engineer gives some RB19 analysis

PhillipM
PhillipM

ringo wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 23:58
Right, but what if it was not running on bump stops, but engaged another damper., while giving up engagement or leverage on the main spring and damper. Is this done in elsewhere?
Why would you need to, you could just make your rocker progressive or run bypass ports on the heave damper, all fairly simple stuff. Or even run a simple hydraulic bumpstop piston for just before it hits the packers.

Your biggest problem with running the floor on the floor is aerodynamic instability and not digging the tea tray in like you saw when some cars ran too low in testing - if RB have a secret anywhere for running so low it's in a very stable (aerodynamically) floor design again like last year and back to the famous RB tricks for plank flexing/tea tray flexibility.
Last edited by PhillipM on 28 Feb 2023, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

djos

ringo wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 23:58
PhillipM wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 23:36
I'd guess RBR are using a dual spring setup - they certainly looked like they were last year too.

"In downforce we trust"

PhillipM
PhillipM

But that's also nothing really that special, no F1 team runs linear springs, they haven't for decades, probably half a century for most teams.

They also generally aren't as simple and brute force as that video demo. That sort of dual spring rate setup is more akin to what I'd use on cheap setups for production cars on coilovers or basic-spec rally cars, etc.
Last edited by PhillipM on 28 Feb 2023, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

Henk_v
Henk_v

organic wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 22:25
All images from The Race

https://i.imgur.com/fKFUfXn.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/0Pght3A.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/6fZfiPE.jpeg

Looking purely at the upper half of the sidepod (all painted parts) including the inlet scoop, mirror supports: they are surely a reused/carried over specification

Side comparison shows that the rb19 has a proper t-tray like McLaren debuted with which is a bit unusual for the grid. Most have what RB18 had.

Side comparison also shows the overhanging uppermost front wing element which sits much beyond the endplate
Bingo! Look at that first side-by-side pic and tell me those are the same inlets! They are clearly different.

Even the last pic clearly shows a different inlet.
Last edited by Henk_v on 28 Feb 2023, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Henk_v wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 01:20
organic wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 22:25
All images from The Race

https://i.imgur.com/fKFUfXn.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/0Pght3A.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/6fZfiPE.jpeg

Bingo! Look at that first side-by-side pic and tell me those are the same inlets! They are clearly different.
The lighting is playing tricks

Note the different perspectives but you can see with similar lighting, the curvatures are highlighted properly. The first picture in the original post has very different lighting making things a bit tricky
Last edited by organic on 28 Feb 2023, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.