[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

spacehead3 wrote:
18 Dec 2023, 17:33
Alternatively, we could always just use the online tool for official results and then everything will match, we just won't have any cool graphs or anything.
No, it would be better to use the original Matlab tool. If you prepare an update to 2024 performances it should work, also the online version. We don't need absolute precision. Thanks!

chaoticflounder
chaoticflounder

spacehead3 wrote:
18 Dec 2023, 17:30
CAEdevice wrote:
18 Dec 2023, 17:12
I noticed that the times calculated with the onine simulator (probably based on a database) are very different from the official ones. Considering the convergence of car performance, I was wondering if in 2024 it will be possible to access the calculation app or integrate laptime into MFlow.
Yes, it's because I ran the regression for the online tool from CL -2 to -6, so we are now right on the edge. I should be able to tighten it up a bit next year which should help.

I would love to give you all access to the full sim but unfortunately it's a rather complex MATLAB code and unless I can motivate myself to re-write the whole thing in python there is no easy or cheap way to share it with you.
Not sure if you are using any specific MATLAB packages or not.

GNU Octave (https://octave.org/) is intended to be compatible with MATLAB and may allow universal access to running the source code.

variante

How about a final CFD images comparison, LVDH?

Ft5fTL

Kinda out of topic but i did import all of the last races data to Assetto Corsa. Seems like low cd benefits are more on the sim. Bear in mind i only imported the aero data. Suspension geometry, tires, engine power is as the same as the rss formula hybrid 2023 mod.

Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

spacehead3

Ft5fTL wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 00:34
Kinda out of topic but i did import all of the last races data to Assetto Corsa.
That's cool, and actually the lap times are pretty close!

Did you account for the balance in any way? Because that does make a big difference in our race results. I have always thought about putting some of our cars in rfactor and trying to actually drive them, but never gotten around to it.
Max Taylor

Ft5fTL

spacehead3 wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 01:10
Ft5fTL wrote:
Kinda out of topic but i did import all of the last races data to Assetto Corsa.
That's cool, and actually the lap times are pretty close!

Did you account for the balance in any way? Because that does make a big difference in our race results. I have always thought about putting some of our cars in rfactor and trying to actually drive them, but never gotten around to it.
I created a spreedsheat based roughly on my cars aero loads per parts. I'm new to modding Assetto Corsa so obviously there is room for improvement both on calculation on parts and execution but the balance looks close enough.

For example, Variante:

LVDH

Ft5fTL wrote:
Kinda out of topic but i did import all of the last races data to Assetto Corsa. Seems like low cd benefits are more on the sim. Bear in mind i only imported the aero data. Suspension geometry, tires, engine power is as the same as the rss formula hybrid 2023 mod.
This is super cool. And this is where we should end one day. Do you think it is possible to export the Blender models I create into this sim?

variante wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 17:02
How about a final CFD images comparison, LVDH?
Yes, I know that I owe you these images. As some of you might have noticed in the reports, the images do not contain the case name. So, if I would just post them like they are, we would only have colorful images and not know to who they belong. I will add the team names and sponsors to the images before I post them. I just have not found the time yet. But It should happen in one of the next two mornings.

Ft5fTL

LVDH wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 18:27
Ft5fTL wrote:
This is super cool. And this is where we should end one day. Do you think it is possible to export the Blender models I create into this sim?
Most of the modding community is using blender nowadays for creating mods so it should be possible. On my opinion the method we are using on MVRC is better but the idea of driving the cars that we worked for the whole season sounds very good (and actually they drive very good too!). Potentialy we could do a MVRC mod to Assetto Corsa if we have a car model with good amount of detail.

I'm sharing my spreadsheet for this little project hoping for some feedback:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

CAEdevice

Super cool, I would be curious to see a 5 lap race.

I also bought a AC key recenty. The customization of aero and phyisical propeties is possbile (as your test demonstrate), on the contrary, to import geometry is not so easy.

We could try:

1) To use same external geometry with different colors
2) To import rough geoemtry with no LODs

Consider that AC can simulate the dependance of DF on pitch, yaw and roll so it would be great to simulate all the angles with a +/-0.5 variations

Max laptime simulator would be still useful for qualifying or pre-qualifying.

Another itneresting thing would be to tweak the AI parameters of each car (probably driving the car would be too much: it would make aero simulation less important).

spacehead3

It's Andre's decision of course but I'm perfectly happy to pass the torch to somebody else if and when we have a better solution. Don't think we're there just yet but being able to simulate an actual race with the proper car models and everything would be very neat. Most of the work for me is getting the tracks and the online tool setup at the start of the season.

Unrelated, I might as well share this too: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/max-tayl ... er_desktop
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

spacehead3 wrote:
22 Dec 2023, 14:52
It's Andre's decision of course but I'm perfectly happy to pass the torch to somebody else if and when we have a better solution. Don't think we're there just yet but being able to simulate an actual race with the proper car models and everything would be very neat. Most of the work for me is getting the tracks and the online tool setup at the start of the season.

Unrelated, I might as well share this too: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/max-tayl ... er_desktop
I think we (both as a team and as staff) will always need a tool to immediately estimate laptime. I see the (AI) driving simulator only a possibility as final step of the race.

Ft5fTL

I'm not too keen about ai racing as a deciding factor. As i demonstrate on the short 5 lap race video down below, they can't do proper defence or attack even with drs (i set drs for fun), choosing random tires (i had to edit the tire file because of it to make all the compounds same) etc.

spacehead3

Ft5fTL wrote:
22 Dec 2023, 17:01
short 5 lap race video
That was exciting! You might need to start doing that just for fun even if we don't use it for scoring. Probably the car performance would make more of a difference over a longer race as well.
Max Taylor

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Dec 2023, 15:07
I think we (both as a team and as staff) will always need a tool to immediately estimate laptime. I see the (AI) driving simulator only a possibility as final step of the race.
Yes, even if me manage to get the races running with our cars in a sim, we will always need a lap time simulator.
But I personally like the idea very much of having the races decided in a sim. I know there would always be an element of the AI screwing up someones race. But there are sure some settings to dial in to something we would all be happy with.

Today, I also have some pretty revealing images of the car undersides for you:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images ... mvrc-2023/

HermesMotorsport

Interesting images LVDH! Some of this floors are real works of art! :shock: