2023 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
langedweil

Re: 2023 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 28 - 30

F1-top seems really mentally confused ..
How on earth will this ludacrous circus make any sense this weekend !?
Can we please go back in time, strip all nonsense, get rid of the BS tracks like Miami & Vegas, and bring back the likes of Kyalami, Sepang and Magny Cours ?

#dumbfounded
HuggaWugga !

mclaren111

langedweil wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 07:08
F1-top seems really mentally confused ..
How on earth will this ludacrous circus make any sense this weekend !?
Can we please go back in time, strip all nonsense, get rid of the BS tracks like Miami & Vegas, and bring back the likes of Kyalami, Sepang and Magny Cours ?

#dumbfounded

Agreed... But Kyalami is a sh*t track now... Turkey is much better...

mclaren111

Edax wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 21:09
AR3-GP wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 20:09
If the PU are frozen, what is the solution to 2024 which will likely have even more GPs and sprint races.
Unconfirmed rumor is that they will change the qualifying format for the sprint into driving one lap backwards. Since this will not wear down the forward gears the gearbox allocation can remain the same.

Besides the added spectacle and the better visibility for the sponsor decals on the right side of the car this is also considered to provide a natural deterrent for the teams not to add vision impairing aero to the rearview mirrors.
:lol: =D> =D> :lol:

Stu

Edax wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 21:09
AR3-GP wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 20:09
If the PU are frozen, what is the solution to 2024 which will likely have even more GPs and sprint races.
Unconfirmed rumor is that they will change the qualifying format for the sprint into driving one lap backwards. Since this will not wear down the forward gears the gearbox allocation can remain the same.

Besides the added spectacle and the better visibility for the sponsor decals on the right side of the car this is also considered to provide a natural deterrent for the teams not to add vision impairing aero to the rearview mirrors.
👏👏👏
I think that wins the internet today. 🤣😂🤣😂
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

organic wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 23:17
I say put the drivers all in F3 cars. Nobody could show me a better idea :D
An idea reminiscent of both the BMW M1 Procar mini-series and Jaguar XJR15 mini-series. If only one of the manufacturers had a ‘halo’ car available that would such such a competition!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

They are messing with the golden goose.

F1 (and Grand Prix) was a top tier event - the point of it being the longest and fastest and with some variety in engineering to deliver it. I know you know that.

Bastardising it for the show and making it "accessible" for people who can't stop looking at their phones when at a live event, or watching something not on catchup, is not the way.

The entire point of GP is that it is long and hard.

I'm all for other formats to entertain me with racing cars and I would honestly prefer a unique setup for sprint - can have the same teams running it but let them design and build (or tender and spec for everyone) a different car. The current cars are fat and ponderous with their 300km fuel tanks and enormous platforms.

Smaller, lighter and faster cars and for all to just rag it. Sign me up.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

mclaren111

CMSMJ1 wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 10:39

F1 (and Grand Prix) was a top tier event - the point of it being the longest and fastest and with some variety in engineering to deliver it. I know you know that.

Bastardising it for the show and making it "accessible" for people who can't stop looking at their phones when at a live event, or watching something not on catchup, is not the way.

I'm all for other formats to entertain me with racing cars and I would honestly prefer a unique setup for sprint - can have the same teams running it but let them design and build (or tender and spec for everyone) a different car. The current cars are fat and ponderous with their 300km fuel tanks and enormous platforms.

Spot On... V10 with Biofuel as well...

Big Tea

If they insist on doing it 'for the show' why not go the whole Hog and introduce weight penalties as in other sport?
Red Bull win, extra 4k next race, Ferrari second, extra 3k, Merc 3rd, extra 2k AM 4th Extra .75 etc so on as long as there are points.
It is completely artificial, but so is so much else of it, even to the extent of each point carries a k for next race.

(edit, only the next sprint race. We may see teams having alternate drivers perform then too)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sevach
Sevach

organic wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 22:45
chrisc90 wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 21:38
Realistically, what is the point of those teams that very rarely see the points pushing their cars to the limits, high chance of driver error/injury, huge cost if the car is damaged, in a sprint race? literally zero point now. No point risking a qualifying lap when you know the place the car will finish isnt going to be capable of getting points in the sprint race.

Totally stupid. Massive risk for virtually zero reward. They might aswell just trundle round, put a time on the 108% board or whatever it is, do a few laps of the sprint at the back of the grid and park the car, save the engine and risks of damage.

Then resume normal service for the GP qualifying and race.
Fortunately there are no real backmarkers this year and all teams may fancy the possibility of getting 8th. But you're right - I don't expect drivers to be pushing that hard on Saturday considering the potential costs of mistakes are no higher and the points available and the differences between positions are minimal
They should at least consider going to the pre 2009 points system, 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1.
Maybe give the winner 11, sounds fair to me.

Wouter

Time has changed on Saturday morning!

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2023/Azerbaijan.html

CET time.

30 Apr
Race
13:00

29 Apr
Sprint
15:30 - 16:00

29 Apr
Sprint Shootout
10:30 - 11:14 ... (was 11.30 - 12.30)

28 Apr
Qualifying
15:00 - 16:00

28 Apr
Practice 1
11:30 - 12:30
The Power of Dreams!

F1Krof

Regardless of the format, the Red Bull with that straight line advantage will destroy everybody.
Wroom wroom

Stu

CMSMJ1 wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 10:39

I couldn’t agree more, Mark! I’m not really bothered what engines are used, or whether they are hybrid-drive or not. They should look (and be) difficult to drive at the limit.

As for the new ‘Sprint Qualifying’ shenanigans, a better format would surely be to have Friday as FP1 & FP2, then run a normal Qualifying session at around 12:00-13:00 local time, the order at the end of Q1 sets the grid for the Sprint race, Q2 finds the 10 fastest, then Q3 can become a one lap shootout for pole and to set the grid for the GP. This would take the usual hour.
The Sprint (Petit Prix?) race can then take place one hour after Qualifying finishes with all cars being under Parc Ferme conditions. Race is for driver points only.
The GP then takes place on Sunday & I would suggest that cars are released from Parc Ferme after the Sprint race.
That would for great TV, great live spectator viewing and make the main GP a little bit less predictable.

PlatinumZealot

That's a good idea actually. Force guys to go all out in Q1
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

langedweil

Just stop raping the sport ..
Like a crowbar, some things are just close to perfection and simply need no improvement.
HuggaWugga !

djones
djones

F1 will have very expensive people in 'business development' roles.

These people will be trying to justify their jobs by coming up with crazy ideas all the time. If they just say "actually leave it alone it's okay" then they are no longer needed.

They would then need to go work for the NHS or something. On much less money, but still coming up with crazy ideas of course.