2023 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2023 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 05 - 07

mendis wrote:
08 May 2023, 12:31
chrisc90 wrote:
08 May 2023, 12:21
Big Tea wrote:
08 May 2023, 12:16

Seems to have confused the red bull team too, as they said they expected both their cars to be together with 3 laps remaining.
If thats what RB predicted, then their simulations are near enough scary accurate.
I thought they might box him after 35 or 37 laps as it was enough margin to get by Perez in 2 or 3 laps. It appeared they wanted to see if Max can overtake Perez in pits to avoid a face off. But Perez started pushing and their times stabilized to be almost equal. If they would have boxed Max by lap 40, he would have still breezed past Perez in quick time and would have finished with a bigger margin.
Yeah, Max was closing the gap down quite a bit. Was down to +1.2 seconds at one point. I really thought they were going to extend and drop him onto the soft tyres with ~10 laps to go.

chrisc90

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJH1YMqX/

Fernando sniffing the flowers.

AMG.Tzan

I can’t believe Perez was unable to open a gap with the mediums let alone keep up with Verstapen’s pace on 40 lap old tires! I don’t know what Perez was thinking during the race but that was embarrassing!

Any other driver from the top 5-6 teams (apart from Stroll obviously) would have opened a 10-15 sec gap with this car on mediums and would then close the gap to Verstapen on hards before Max pitted! I remember when Hamilton started from 10-15th Rosberg or even Bottas were always able to open a big enough gap to comfortably win!

Perez lost an open goal yesterday! This pretty much sums up his performance on any track that isn’t a proper street circuit…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

vorticism

Was there anything to the lift and coast messages that RB were giving their drivers?

DGP123 wrote:
08 May 2023, 11:58
chrisc90 wrote:
08 May 2023, 11:53
Just focus on cars in position 3-20 then. Simple way.
Not much excitement there, either. Alonso usually bags third, Ferrari are crap, and then it’s just the snail Mercedes picking up any pieces. Stroll nowhere. McLaren nowhere. As for the rest, very little happening.
You must be new to the sport. Switch the team names up and you could be describing almost any season.
𓄀

Otromundo

chrisc90 wrote:
08 May 2023, 12:40
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJH1YMqX/

Fernando sniffing the flowers.
Hahaha, hyperactive brains need distraction.
Hence it is normal to attend to the screens during the race, ask about your partner's circumstances, congratulate or advise him, worry about the strategy of whoever is in front or behind... or try to find out if the flowers are natural, if they will be orchids, how the orchids will smell in Miami... The thing is to keep your brain busy.
Quite possibly his reputation for being conniving, having a bad temper and other similar things that seem negative originate from there: he simply gets bored doing only one thing.
Even more so if he is third and has no other options. Although I suspect that going first wouldn't change things too much either ...
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

DGP123
DGP123

vorticism wrote:
08 May 2023, 14:52
You must be new to the sport. Switch the team names up and you could be describing almost any season.
I am certainly not. I wouldn’t say this is like most seasons. Many teams, at the same time, dropping the ball, along with such dominance from RB/Max, is why it’s a dire watch. The racing is crap. Throw in the failed regs, the shambolic tracks, and these horrifying overweight cars, it’s a disaster.

One of the worst seasons for a long time. That’s my view. RB/Alonso fans will try and paint a different picture, and that’s completely understandable.

Mr5in1

I didn't mind the race yesterday although not a fan of the track too much, what I'm unclear of is why the cars aren't following as close as last year is that just pure aero clawback tear on year?

JordanMugen

DGP123 wrote:
08 May 2023, 15:38
Many teams, at the same time, dropping the ball
Many teams dropping the ball = a super competitive midfield with only 0.9s/lap from P2 to P20 in Q1.

Surely that is a good thing and what fans wanted, a tight field?

McLaren can go from points scoring to backmarkers and Alpine can go from backmarkers to point scoring all within one week -- such is the ultra competitive nature of the 2023 season! :)

It's a delightful tussle between Aston Martin, Ferrari and Mercedes too for that matter!
Last edited by JordanMugen on 08 May 2023, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

vorticism

DGP123 wrote:

One of the worst seasons for a long time. That’s my view. RB/Alonso fans will try and paint a different picture, and that’s completely understandable.
There should not be good execution of car engineering, driver ability and team operation permitted in F1?
𓄀

JordanMugen

vorticism wrote:
08 May 2023, 15:55
DGP123 wrote:
There should not be good execution of car engineering, driver ability and team operation permitted in F1?
DGP123 wrote:
such dominance from RB/Max
On average 50% of seasons since 1984 have been won in dominant manner. It's certainly not unusual and will likely average out in time. :)

Sevach
Sevach

mendis wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
08 May 2023, 12:16

Seems to have confused the red bull team too, as they said they expected both their cars to be together with 3 laps remaining.
If thats what RB predicted, then their simulations are near enough scary accurate.
I thought they might box him after 35 or 37 laps as it was enough margin to get by Perez in 2 or 3 laps. It appeared they wanted to see if Max can overtake Perez in pits to avoid a face off. But Perez started pushing and their times stabilized to be almost equal. If they would have boxed Max by lap 40, he would have still breezed past Perez in quick time and would have finished with a bigger margin.
At a certain point Max extended his lead that was in the 15.xxx to 18.xxx, 2 s more would've done the trick... but then Perez "pushed to match" Verstappen's pace.
Max was kept on track well after Hamilton and Ocon on the same strategy pitted to see if he could open up enough to pit and come out ahead, i believe Hamilton's strategy was the one aimed at optimum race time even if overtakes would be required, Max had time to spare.

vorticism

JordanMugen wrote:
08 May 2023, 15:58
vorticism wrote:
08 May 2023, 15:55
DGP123 wrote:
DGP123 wrote:
such dominance from RB/Max
On average 50% of seasons since 1984 have been won in dominant manner. It's certainly not unusual and will likely average out in time. :)

Interesting. By intuition I would have guessed something similar. It would be hard to avoid this trend. To design a better F1 car is to design a car that will inevitable perform well at a variety of F1 circuits. The implication counter to this is that cars should excel only at a narrow range of circuits; to excel at multiple circuits is to create a "boring" car which "harms" the sport and does not flatter the short attention spans or passing whimsy of these, the detractors.

However, tuning for this would present it's own monotony, f.e.: the high DF cars would win all the high DF GPs. The low DF cars would win all the low DF GPs. Etc.
𓄀

mendis
mendis

Sevach wrote:
08 May 2023, 16:04
mendis wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

At a certain point Max extended his lead that was in the 15.xxx to 18.xxx, 2 s more would've done the trick... but then Perez "pushed to match" Verstappen's pace.
Max was kept on track well after Hamilton and Ocon on the same strategy pitted to see if he could open up enough to pit and come out ahead, i believe Hamilton's strategy was the one aimed at optimum race time even if overtakes would be required, Max had time to spare.
I was really skeptical when he was going past 35 laps as these Pirelli tyres are really unreliable past a point. It would be risky to elongate these tyres close or beyond their stipulated life.

cplchanb
cplchanb

mendis wrote:
08 May 2023, 17:01
Sevach wrote:
08 May 2023, 16:04
mendis wrote:
I was really skeptical when he was going past 35 laps as these Pirelli tyres are really unreliable past a point. It would be risky to elongate these tyres close or beyond their stipulated life.
That's the problem with pirelli. They're either too hard, too soft, cliff is too steep and sudden or they're unpredictable. They could never get the sweet spot. Maybe back then with refueling the Bridgestone and michilin could mask it with dwindling fuel tanks but now it's a not great

cplchanb
cplchanb

Ben1980 wrote:
08 May 2023, 09:14
Bill wrote:
08 May 2023, 08:40
mendis wrote:
08 May 2023, 05:39
Which was honoured and he drove for RP. He didn't get a new contract for 2021 at RP, but got one at RB.
ferrari was faster than redbull last year with these regulation so its no true that no one can get near redbull.ferrari need to improve their tire wear then we will see were their pace is.if you have an efficient pu you can carry less fuel thats part of redbull advantage that when Brawn drew these regulation he overlooked that the pu still play a massive role in deciding who wins.Aston martin has a car good on tires and over one lap ,i think they are being let down by pu
RB won 17 out of 22 races. Ferrari was not faster than Red Bull. That's rewriting history.
Well to be fair last year ferrari gifted several races like Monaco, France and even Miami to red bull due to theor incompetence or mistakes