2023 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PinkFloydPulse

Re: 2023 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 05 - 07

vorticism wrote:
08 May 2023, 01:35
If I may summarize the anti-RB crew ITT:

Quali: "Didn't make Q3! Wow! He is CRACKING! Perez showing who is the real best driver!"
Race: "It is OVER. The season is DONE. There are NO challengers. Verstappen will win ALL of the races. The sport is DOOMED!"

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
07 May 2023, 22:49
I wonder how long FOM and FIA will allow this RB dominance 😂 Pretty sure the viewing numbers will start to plummet after todays race… 😁 Clearly ZERO contenders to Max and his Third WDC this year… Perez is just pathetic sadly…
Basic understanding of F1 history is that it is defined by eras. McLaren era, Ferrari era, RB era, Merc era, etc. F1 has never been known for Mario Kart or NASCAR type races (or whatever the casuals are seeking). If you understand the sport well enough there aren't really any dull races.
First and foremost, the post was meant to be a joke... :D I've been following Formula 1 since 2003, so I think I've witnessed a few eras of dominance, but also some epic racing... But this, what we are seeing this year... My gawd it's boring... :D You basically know that 1-2 are sealed if there are no mechanical issues, and the rest can fight for 3rd place... It has been similar with Merc in the past, but the sheer dominance of the RB package... ufff... I wouldn't be surprised if they have a 1-2 until the end of the season! Only "stain" would be AUS... Now, THAT would be a record for the ages...
Team Fernando!

Juzh

It just occured to me there was almost zero chatter about that clumsy chicane under those bridges. New tarmac and a bit of opening up on entry and exit somehow almost completely solved this universally hated sequence of corners. I dont remember a single driver complaining about it?

Sieper

Great race by Max yesterday. Really enjoyed it. In hindsight having to start on white tires, they way he made use of them, was an advantage. I found it one of his best drives.

Gillian
Gillian

Can someone show me the way to the Miami GP race thread? Thanks!

Wouter

Gillian wrote:
09 May 2023, 09:36
Can someone show me the way to the Miami GP race thread? Thanks!
👍👍👍
The Power of Dreams!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Locking for some pruning - budget and all that is not for this race thread :shock:

Now unlocked - go talk budget and caps in the FIA thread - think that's where a lot of it was before.

Race please..
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

basti313
basti313

Juzh wrote:
08 May 2023, 20:44
It just occured to me there was almost zero chatter about that clumsy chicane under those bridges. New tarmac and a bit of opening up on entry and exit somehow almost completely solved this universally hated sequence of corners. I dont remember a single driver complaining about it?
Yes, it looked nice. It was surely still a difficult spot and actually brought together cars with different pace. Hard to get it right in Q. But in the race it was really a good spot.
I think the track even needs this. You have the fast corners in S1, the two long straights and the slow section giving some other spice, without it you would just have an overtaking issue that one can only overtake into T1 without being re overtaken.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Francis Bacon
Francis Bacon

Mansell89 wrote:
08 May 2023, 10:41
DGP123 wrote:
08 May 2023, 10:26
Absolute turd of a season. Thought last year was bad, but F1 dropping an awfully bad stinker this year. Tight Imola, and the borefests of Barcelona & Monaco to come. I know the RB is dominant, but it really is an awfully bad calendar, especially in terms of the quality of tracks. Uninspiring. Uneventful. Dire
Couldn’t have put it better myself.

The dominance is one thing, but can happen regularly in each era of tech regs so is not new.

The worst part of all is watching these massive boat-sized cars looking clumsy and unresponsive under ground effect regs, the pathetic FOM TV coverage zooming in on sponsors gives us zero feeling of true speed or sound, a total lack of testing time for anyone to truly catch up to the front runners in development, and last but not least the pathetic DRS-laden, push button overtake era that has destroyed the art of defending as a car in front.

I’m totally disillusioned with it - I don’t think we’ve changed for the better at all.
Just like every season, it only lame if your focus is soley on the WDC &WCC championship fight (rarely is there ever one)

If we look at the rest of the field and what's going on, its one of the most interesting seasons I can remember...

Sieper

That wall the next turn just after the chicane, they all managed to stay clear of it and mostly nothing was left on the table. Only Hulkenberg had a big moment. I expected at least someone to hit it.

organic

Sieper wrote:
09 May 2023, 20:22
That wall the next turn just after the chicane, they all managed to stay clear of it and mostly nothing was left on the table. Only Hulkenberg had a big moment. I expected at least someone to hit it.
I think yuki slapped his rear right there but the car was okay

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

AMG.Tzan wrote:
08 May 2023, 13:51
I can’t believe Perez was unable to open a gap with the mediums let alone keep up with Verstapen’s pace on 40 lap old tires! I don’t know what Perez was thinking during the race but that was embarrassing!

Any other driver from the top 5-6 teams (apart from Stroll obviously) would have opened a 10-15 sec gap with this car on mediums and would then close the gap to Verstapen on hards before Max pitted! I remember when Hamilton started from 10-15th Rosberg or even Bottas were always able to open a big enough gap to comfortably win!

Perez lost an open goal yesterday! This pretty much sums up his performance on any track that isn’t a proper street circuit…
Imo the medium tire stint on high fuel was tricky as there were too many unknowns and Checo just couldn’t chance it.

But once he got on the hards he should have been gapping Max like crazy. He just didnt do that and thats where he lost the race imo. The pace difference between the two drivers was bigger than its been all year in Miami. Worrisome for checo if hes serious about mounting a championship challenge.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Hammerfist wrote:
10 May 2023, 20:55
AMG.Tzan wrote:
08 May 2023, 13:51
I can’t believe Perez was unable to open a gap with the mediums let alone keep up with Verstapen’s pace on 40 lap old tires! I don’t know what Perez was thinking during the race but that was embarrassing!

Any other driver from the top 5-6 teams (apart from Stroll obviously) would have opened a 10-15 sec gap with this car on mediums and would then close the gap to Verstapen on hards before Max pitted! I remember when Hamilton started from 10-15th Rosberg or even Bottas were always able to open a big enough gap to comfortably win!

Perez lost an open goal yesterday! This pretty much sums up his performance on any track that isn’t a proper street circuit…
Imo the medium tire stint on high fuel was tricky as there were too many unknowns and Checo just couldn’t chance it.
He didn't even manage to go as long as Alonso on the medium tire. When Verstappen arrived behind him, he could have done a final push, and let Verstappen waste his hard tires trying to pass him, but he didn't. Alonso stayed out another 5 laps iirc, managed himself even though Sainz undercut him, and then just drove around Sainz when he came back out of the pits.

Anyone who was looking at the practice sessions saw this coming.

Juzh

Alonso had some serious pace, last lap he did a PB while doing a lot of lift and coast that was faster than Hamilton's PB. Hamilton was flat out on strat 2 for last lap, still 1 tenth off ALO, and on mediums.

AMG.Tzan

Juzh wrote:
10 May 2023, 23:24
Alonso had some serious pace, last lap he did a PB while doing a lot of lift and coast that was faster than Hamilton's PB. Hamilton was flat out on strat 2 for last lap, still 1 tenth off ALO, and on mediums.
I’m expecting the big updates Dan Fallows promised when saying this car will change a lot! This car and this team have so much potential…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

AMG.Tzan wrote:
11 May 2023, 00:57
Juzh wrote:
10 May 2023, 23:24
I’m expecting the big updates Dan Fallows promised when saying this car will change a lot! This car and this team have so much potential…
Indeed. In theory AMR should have an even bigger upgrade than anyone of the top 4 teams. If you know what you are doing, you're improvement is proportional to the windtunnel time. There additional hours are worth a couple tenths.

I wonder if they didn't start working on the 2024 car already.