Request for help - information about refueling

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
the poster below
the poster below

Request for help - information about refueling

Hello all,

I wondered if any of you might be able to assist me in finding out information to do with race car refuelling - particularly the structure of the filler necks that are used in Formula 1 cars, but not necessarily limited to that category.

My understanding is that up to 2009 F1 cars were refueled at pit stops using that big pressure refuelling rig, but that they were filled much more slowly in the garage - presumably by gravity refuelling (i.e. standard nozzle insertion like a regular car)? I am guessing there because I can't find any decent technical information or drawings so far which show the structure of the filler neck / refuelling port in the car.

I am not sure if any other racing categories would've had refuelling by both pressure refuelling and gravity refuelling (up to early 2012 at the latest), but that's the key question I'm trying to answer. What is the structure of the filler neck that allowed both refuelling methods? Was there a flapper valve / poppet arrangement where the gravity refuelling aperture was hinged to or mounted in a pressure-receiving plate of the larger pressure refuelling / dry break arrangement?

I am doing my own research but coming up against a dead end, and need the information in the next week or so due to a deadline that's out of my hands.

If you are reading this and are able to point me to any sources of information (online or otherwise) that can be reliably dated, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Request for help - information about refueling

From memory, the refuelling system used was one based on a helicopter refuelling connection. Similar systems are still used today, for example: https://www.easternsupplies.co.uk/files ... Nozzle.pdf

It would be simple enough to have the same nozzle arrangement as used by the in-race rigs attached to a simple gravity tank.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

the poster below
the poster below

Re: Request for help - information about refueling

Thanks Just_a_fan, much appreciated.