F1 computational restrictions.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: F1 computational restrictions.

littlebigcat wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 20:36
Crocodile tears
Yep. It's not my mom or dad, so whatever. Right?

Zynerji

zeph wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 23:29
Zynerji wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 14:44
zeph wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 08:46

Yup, Almighty Profit. Who needs people.
It's hard for me, but the only reason for a business to exist is to make profit. See the current Target and Budweiser stock debacle for reference.

And PS: If I found a human that could produce perfect work, hired them and fired those same 4 ladies, is it any different?

I'm a team guy. It's against my nature for this. But I cannot deny the improvements.
Sorry, didn't mean to criticize/accuse. We all have to try to make the best of the life we've been given. I certainly don't blame you for doing your job.

I'm waiting to train ChatGPT4 to do my admin/taxes for me, I'm not against ML/AI in principle. I see the potential and advantages on so many levels.

On a philosophical level, when AI does everything better than humans, what do we do exactly?
Sam Collins the tech guy on F1TV says the new AMR update is designed by CognizantAI. I speculated before that Mercedes dominated 14-21 due to a similar setup.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zeph wrote:

I'm waiting to train ChatGPT4 to do my admin/taxes for me, I'm not against ML/AI in principle. I see the potential and advantages on so many levels.

On a philosophical level, when AI does everything better than humans, what do we do exactly?
You'd throw your personal information at an uncontrolled third party just like that? What you send for learning is going to stay with them.

Once AI and machines do better than humans, we can dump the whole concept of money and just enjoy life. The tech will produce the things we need, there will be no need to work.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 01:58
zeph wrote:

You'd throw your personal information at an uncontrolled third party just like that? What you send for learning is going to stay with them.

Once AI and machines do better than humans, we can dump the whole concept of money and just enjoy life. The tech will produce the things we need, there will be no need to work.
You should check out PrivateGPT. 😏

Might change your mind.

Stu

zeph wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 14:44
zeph wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 08:46

Not wishing to sound like a Luddite, but…

…based upon evidence all around us:
- the internet can be used for amazing things, but is also used for harmful things
- social media could be a fantastic way to keep in touch with old friends and family (no matter what time-zone they are in, but is also used by knuckle-dragging mouth breathers that use anonymity to bully, degrade & threaten others)
- AI will only ever be as beneficial to humanity as those developing it, but I don’t trust humanity as a whole to go that route.

My biggest issue with that last point is that no matter what restrictions and regulations are placed upon its development & implementation it will eventually become intelligent enough and integrated into so many aspects of normal life that it will be able to alter those restrictions and regulations and become SkyNet…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

dialtone
dialtone

LLMs are not intelligent and neither is Machine Learning in general. They are probabilistic models about what happened in their training data. Reasoning is currently not among the possibilities for ML.

They have no ability to solve new unsolved or unseen before problems and given their probabilistic nature, their work should at minimum be double checked, unless you want to be that famous lawyer that will be disbarred over presenting 12 made up precedents to a judge.

What these systems do is, with some oversight, further lower the bar for certain tasks increasing productivity.

Specialized systems, that don't deal with language, already exist and perform better than an LLM would at those tasks.

It is a complex topic but technology has rarely caused humanity to go back in the long term, yes it can be used for bad goals but so did the first uses of ammonia process that were used by nazis to make cyclon b gas, even if the product was invented to fertilize, and avoid wars for fertilizer islands (seagulls guano island like out of the coast of chile). In the long term technology has always helped.

Stu

My concern is that with the capability of the technology evolving at a Moore’s Law rate, it only takes one genocidal lunatic to create a massive global problem (nuclear weaponry had/has the same potential - it is just far less accessible).

I know that I am looking at this very negatively, but with some things it seems to be fairly sensible to look at it from a ‘what is the worst outcome’…

Even looking at it from a positive perspective (performing tasks where a high level of accuracy - zero failure rate - is important; what jobs do those people then move into?
You end up in a society where a universal income becomes a prerequisite to survive day to day, which is fairly dark rabbit-hole from a socio-economic/political perspective.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

dialtone
dialtone

F1 computational restrictions.

Stu wrote:My concern is that with the capability of the technology evolving at a Moore’s Law rate, it only takes one genocidal lunatic to create a massive global problem (nuclear weaponry had/has the same potential - it is just far less accessible).

I know that I am looking at this very negatively, but with some things it seems to be fairly sensible to look at it from a ‘what is the worst outcome’…

Even looking at it from a positive perspective (performing tasks where a high level of accuracy - zero failure rate - is important; what jobs do those people then move into?
You end up in a society where a universal income becomes a prerequisite to survive day to day, which is fairly dark rabbit-hole from a socio-economic/political perspective.
I completely agree with you on the need for oversight, I simply wouldn't ban, and even slowing down development is risky on its own as it slows down understanding it. Usually after a beginning time of reduced employment, enough new opportunities come up that will need more employees, also I've founded a company that ended up having 700 employees, I never felt I had enough people, always wanted more, if I can make those I have more productive, I can do more things.

Similar questions were asked about mechanized mining, those jobs moved in the service sector, mechanized mining is still the primary reason responsible for drop in employment in coal mining, not green energy or restrictive laws.

hollus

Zynerji wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 01:38
Sam Collins the tech guy on F1TV says the new AMR update is designed by CognizantAI. I speculated before that Mercedes dominated 14-21 due to a similar setup.
At the risk of derailing the thread back to F1, can I ask where he said that? (And yes, you know that I will trash the quote if it turns out to have been plucked out of context).
I'd like to check what was said exactly and in which context, because I would be very surprised if AI had any way on any shape or piece placement, although I'd be zero surprised if AI is involved or even dominant in setup choices.

Of course, the term "AI" is thrown around for too many different concepts and algorithms, so there is that.
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dialtone wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 10:24
LLMs are not intelligent and neither is Machine Learning in general. They are probabilistic models about what happened in their training data. Reasoning is currently not among the possibilities for ML.

They have no ability to solve new unsolved or unseen before problems and given their probabilistic nature, their work should at minimum be double checked, unless you want to be that famous lawyer that will be disbarred over presenting 12 made up precedents to a judge.

What these systems do is, with some oversight, further lower the bar for certain tasks increasing productivity.

Specialized systems, that don't deal with language, already exist and perform better than an LLM would at those tasks.

It is a complex topic but technology has rarely caused humanity to go back in the long term, yes it can be used for bad goals but so did the first uses of ammonia process that were used by nazis to make cyclon b gas, even if the product was invented to fertilize, and avoid wars for fertilizer islands (seagulls guano island like out of the coast of chile). In the long term technology has always helped.
The issue is how the systems are used by "bad people" in a way that "good people" are unable to tell truth from lie. Apply these tools to social media, etc., and you can set up narratives that lead entire nations down a particular political path.

A tool can be used for good or for bad - a spade can dig up potatoes and it can be used to kill someone. "AI" is no different to any other tool in that regard but it has the potential to be more powerful than just about any tool yet invented.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

hollus wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 12:24
Zynerji wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 01:38
At the risk of derailing the thread back to F1, can I ask where he said that? (And yes, you know that I will trash the quote if it turns out to have been plucked out of context).
I'd like to check what was said exactly and in which context, because I would be very surprised if AI had any way on any shape or piece placement, although I'd be zero surprised if AI is involved or even dominant in setup choices.

Of course, the term "AI" is thrown around for too many different concepts and algorithms, so there is that.

He says it in that vid. Not sure when.

hollus

Thanks!

Aaaaand, at the 6:11 minute mark:

Talking about the sidepod shape around the cognizant logo:
- "And I wonder if any of that Cognizant AI has been used to develop some of the floors. I've been told some rumors that is has been."

A far cry from
Sam Collins the tech guy on F1TV says the new AMR update is designed by CognizantAI
but I can only call half BS there. He heard rumors. I wonder if, maybe, in this thread? ;-)
Rivals, not enemies.

Zynerji

hollus wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 17:22
Thanks!

Aaaaand, at the 6:11 minute mark:

Talking about the sidepod shape around the cognizant logo:
- "And I wonder if any of that Cognizant AI has been used to develop some of the floors. I've been told some rumors that is has been."

A far cry from
Sam Collins the tech guy on F1TV says the new AMR update is designed by CognizantAI
but I can only call half BS there. He heard rumors. I wonder if, maybe, in this thread? ;-)
Well, I didn't know Cognizant had AI, and I'm not sure Sam is low-rent enough to visit these forums...

DDopey
DDopey

I have to agree with dialtone. LLMs are notoriously known for hallucinations. Not something you want to rely on. LLMs are amazing technology, but nothing more than an assistant. If you want to apply its use, you need to check everything it produces. Sometimes handy, but not as productive as it first might seem.

From my personal experience trying to use it in a business process I stopped the project. Gave a couple of good answers and then it didn't. Not something you want to rely on in unattended process. I do see in the coming three months something really messed up happening because of people relying on LLMs.

I loved this example; https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/27/nyre ... atgpt.html

Other ML architectures can be extremely more helpful than a llm.

vorticism

AI seems to attract FUD. The products of AI are still easily discerned (viewer dependent I suppose) f.e. midjourney and Chat-GPT produce things apparently artificial. Is the concern that our post retirement age global oligarchs will eventually start saying things like, "I don't quite know about this whole nuclear standoff thing, what does Mr. Computer have to say?" Social media and basic algos have had a far larger impact upon soc/pol/culture yet had about zero red flags raised while it was being spun up by state intel agencies and funded via inflationary mechanisms. Yet seemingly out of nowhere, this concern over AI. Seems out of place, all things considered.

dialtone wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 11:41
Similar questions were asked about mechanized mining, those jobs moved in the service sector, mechanized mining is still the primary reason responsible for drop in employment in coal mining, not green energy or restrictive laws.
What a service the service sector provides, endlessly absorbing every other industry's redundancy. Talk about a growth market.
𓄀