man vs machine

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
adamnightingale402
adamnightingale402

man vs machine

I dont know if there are any clued up people reading this but im having a debate with my mate as to what could drive a f1 car quicker, a computer or michael schumacher. I think there is no way a computer could match the ability of a modern f1 driver to analyse setup etc and make intelligent decisions etc. Any light you guys could shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

NickT

I think you are right Schumi would beat the computer. The technology and the software to make decisions about driving the car and race strategy are not good enough or fast enough - YET! But in time it will become a real possibility, but then it wouldn't be a sport worth watching would it?

More likely I think is remote piloting that the military is investing large amounts of money in. Vehicles are then limited by their mechanical limits and the laws of physics.

Euro Fighter is a good example of the progress being made. The wing design is fundamentally unstable and hence highly manoeuvrable, but no human pilot could fly it without the high-speed computers that control the aircraft’s inherent instability!
NickT

akbar21881
akbar21881

Interesting topic. The answer could be both yes and no,depends on application.But don't forget that we human who designed the machine.No matter how good it is, its intelligent is limited to what is known to human only.Or else,we are looking into Terminator world!!

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well....I'm a Motoya fan...but shummy would be faster....a compyuter doesn't have "the feel" to drive the car....it would only analise parameters and drive according to then....but if you ask who would setup the car faster....I think the computer....but don't have the time to explain why....I'll do that next time....

jgm
jgm

As things stand at present the man would beat the computer. However if enough time and money was spent on it there is no doubt at all that the computer would eventually beat the man. We're now entering the age of the pilotless military aircraft....

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

Here is a logical way to think about an answer for this question :lol:
"A computer is only has good as its operator" :wink:

arisen
arisen

I remember the TV commentators saying (about Renault and Alonso I think) that engineers
run computer simulations predicting qualifying lap times and that the driver managed to do
better then the apparently "perfect lap".