2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:49
The RB19 indeed was saving the front left in Eau-Rouge and putting it to better use in other parts of the lap. I would say we saw a glimpse of "weakness" when the car ran in mixed conditions. It's DRS is also the best, but not strong enough to immediatley break a DRS train. Takes a few laps of the car in front's tyre to wear down first and then the RB19 makes its move.
The other teams increased their top speeds compared to last year.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:56
PlatinumZealot wrote:
The RB19 indeed was saving the front left in Eau-Rouge and putting it to better use in other parts of the lap. I would say we saw a glimpse of "weakness" when the car ran in mixed conditions. It's DRS is also the best, but not strong enough to immediatley break a DRS train. Takes a few laps of the car in front's tyre to wear down first and then the RB19 makes its move.
The other teams increased their top speeds compared to last year.
It's just the fact that Lewis was running a Monza rear wing, which generated way less drag, reducing the benefit of tow + after it was the usual DRS train.
But Verstappen flew past Leclerc despite the Ferrari being the fastest of the top teams on top speed - if we excluse RB - on more usual tracks.

chrisc90

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Is that really weakness though? Or is that being clever and understanding the tyre loadings/heat increases etc through corners early on and saving some tyre for later on in the lap?

Or do you mean a weakness when the conditions were changing between dry and wet? I wouldn't have classed a little twitch through eau rouge a weakness if thats the case. We would need to compare laptimes coming into the wetter period and exiting it to see how the others were doing time wise.

Personally, I dont think the RB19 needs to wait until the car infronts tyres have deteriorated enough by defending. Lewis was in a DRS train with Leclerc. Once Lewis dropped out of the 1 second window, Max was able to get past. The RB19 is good, but it is not 'slippery' enough to overtake the car infront whilst it is using DRS on a low drag wing. (Lewis was running one of the slimmer Rear wings of the weekend?)

What could be a interesting thing to look at is the laps Lewis was behind chares (who had no DRS) and Lewis who had DRS. What was the speed differentials between them as I never really saw Lewis manage to mount an attack, or even a look up the side of Charles along the Kemmel Straight. Even if Charles was dumping a load of battery, i'd of expected Lewis to be able to sneak a look own the side.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

It might just be downplaying your pace.
As Perez said to Leclerc in the cool down room, they were just managing.

If they finish each race with +45 sec on the rest of the field by starting 2nd and 6th, and win every race, at some point the FIA will do smth to slow them down

DGP123
DGP123

AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:52
Piastri divebombs Sainz, destroys his and Sainz’s race! No penalty for the next race or penalty points! Sounds interesting…
Yep. No surprise though.
Last edited by DGP123 on 30 Jul 2023, 22:39, edited 3 times in total.

chrisc90

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:03

If they finish each race with +45 sec on the rest of the field by starting 2nd and 6th, and win every race, at some point the FIA will do smth to slow them down
Realistically though...how do you slow them down? This doesnt seem a era where you can chop a piece of rear floor out like we seen in 2020/21.

Unless the FIA know RB's advantage, and exactly where it comes from, it might not be easy to just tweak some body work. (which technically they did between 22/23 with the raised throat heights/ floor etc.)

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

chrisc90 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:08
Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:03

Realistically though...how do you slow them down? This doesnt seem a era where you can chop a piece of rear floor out like we seen in 2020/21.

Unless the FIA know RB's advantage, and exactly where it comes from, it might not be easy to just tweak some body work. (which technically they did between 22/23 with the raised throat heights/ floor etc.)
The usual suspect comes into play : i) Pirelli can change the tyre in a way that hurts RB (think about what happened to the successor of the incredible F2004...) ii) introduce some new rules for wheelbase, width of the car/tyres/FW and or RW, or driver positioning which will bring everyone back to the drawing board and can close the gap like the new width of the 2017 car did in a certain way.

But overall you are right, if they are the better team technically as well as with the operational level, and with Verstappen behind the well it's not a regulation change who will stop them. Others have to improve.

EDIT : Bringing back the refueling also as cars will run lighter it can help some teams

codetower

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:39
organic wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 18:37
In the race both RBs were lifting heavily at unnecessary points :-k :-k

At eau rouge they left over 20 kph on the table each lap to Leclerc and others who of course did not coast through here..

https://i.imgur.com/uu4p2IB.jpeg

Seems this was the rb19 with its arms tied behind the back.
You could hear the off throttle rattling of the Honda in the middle of Eau Rouge any time they showed off board shots of Max.

I think as someone else mentioned, that it was just tire management. Miami revealed a lot about what they do to manage the tires (lifting in high speed, and using the tire in the low speed).
Could it also have been fuel saving?

FanAmp

This break might be good for other teams to make good enough upgrades to compete against the Red Bull. Hopefully, we'll see some competition after the summer break.

chrisc90

FanAmp wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:22
This break might be good for other teams to make good enough upgrades to compete against the Red Bull. Hopefully, we'll see some competition after the summer break.
Technically there should be no development or working during the summer break.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:16

The usual suspect comes into play : i) Pirelli can change the tyre in a way that hurts RB (think about what happened to the successor of the incredible F2004...)
That was a total rule change that meant that the tyres had to last the entire race - Bridgestone had been working directly with Ferrari to create bespoke sprint tyres and the change totally screwed them. And gave Alonso, on Michelins, his first title.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:28
FanAmp wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:22
Technically there should be no development or working during the summer break.
The teams have to shut down the F1 stuff for 14 continuous days, so they can work for 2 weeks of the 4 week break period. They had to nominate their shutdown dates earlier in the season, too.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

No teams are reacting to today's result. Team's have set course long ago. The ones who move on to '24 will continue to do so.

Sieper

DGP123 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:08
AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:52
Piastri divebombs Sainz, destroys his and Sainz’s race! No penalty for the next race or penalty points! Sounds interesting…
Yep. No surprise though
Can you dive bomb a dive bomb?

Piastri before the corner was very reasonable imho. And then Sainz came in towards him with his frontwheels locked up and smoking. Piastri at that point did indeed decide to try and hang on, and that was wrong, he should have evacuated the corner and let Sainz who misjudged it badly through, but that really was a split-second decision forced upon him.

So, a good learning moment that I think he will learn from. Sainz will not change anymore.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:30
Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:16

The usual suspect comes into play : i) Pirelli can change the tyre in a way that hurts RB (think about what happened to the successor of the incredible F2004...)
That was a total rule change that meant that the tyres had to last the entire race - Bridgestone had been working directly with Ferrari to create bespoke sprint tyres and the change totally screwed them. And gave Alonso, on Michelins, his first title.
Yes I know. But it was a sudden rule chance, which allows other to catch up. Thats my point
We went from 2004 dominance to 2005 and 2006 for Ferrari.