Next Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 Safety Car if AMG GT Black Edition production ends?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3
theriusDR3

Next Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 Safety Car if AMG GT Black Edition production ends?

The Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 Safety Car

Mercedes-AMG GT Black Edition hot sports coupe supercar will end the production soon. Here are the Mercedes-AMG car candidates as a Formula 1 Safety Car from 2024 season onwards:

1. Mercedes-AMG A 45 S 4MATIC+ luxury hot hatchback

2. Mercedes-AMG One luxury hypercar

I will go for Mercedes-AMG A 45 S 4MATIC+ as a new Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 Safety Car from 2024 season onwards because i want to see luxury hot hatchback as a Formula 1 Safety Car instead of hot sports coupe supercar.

Your opinions?

basti313
basti313

Re: Next Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 Safety Car if AMG GT Black Edition production ends?

Well...that is a really difficult question.
I do not see the A45 or the One as realistic. The A45 is simply MUCH too slow, they complain about the 500hp Aston...coming with a 300hp hatchback would be a joke.

But...there is nothing like the old GT in the program. I would expect something electrical, but these are also much too slow as they are too heavy.

That being said: You can not order the AMG GT since last year, so I do not see too much relevance here of it going out of produvtion. It was always brand, not model advertisement. And brand today is E centric...
I guess that if they go on in 2024, they just go with the GT for a third season just because of the lack of alternatives. Maybe together with a hybrid or electric medical car. That would be the only cost effective solution.
My expectation is, that the safety car will be run by Aston in 2025 only, maybe even 24.
Don`t russel the hamster!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Next Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 Safety Car if AMG GT Black Edition production ends?

All electric safety car is my bet. Fast charging in pitlane or simply deploying multiples of them.

Sevach
Sevach

basti313 wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 14:15
Well...that is a really difficult question.
I do not see the A45 or the One as realistic. The A45 is simply MUCH too slow, they complain about the 500hp Aston...coming with a 300hp hatchback would be a joke.

But...there is nothing like the old GT in the program. I would expect something electrical, but these are also much too slow as they are too heavy.

That being said: You can not order the AMG GT since last year, so I do not see too much relevance here of it going out of produvtion. It was always brand, not model advertisement. And brand today is E centric...
I guess that if they go on in 2024, they just go with the GT for a third season just because of the lack of alternatives. Maybe together with a hybrid or electric medical car. That would be the only cost effective solution.
My expectation is, that the safety car will be run by Aston in 2025 only, maybe even 24.
The A45 has more than 400 horses, Mercedes loves to brag about the most powerful 4 cylinder in the world.
The C63 has this same engine(420 in the C, i think) and a battery system they say is derived from F1, 680 total, good candidate for marketing purposes, heavy as a MFer though.
Of their current line up i'd say the SL 63 is also an option.

Most likely we are going to see a gen 2 AMG GT.

basti313
basti313

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 14:44
All electric safety car is my bet. Fast charging in pitlane or simply deploying multiples of them.
But this is too slow. The fastest EQS (Dynamic something...) is at 1:44 at the short Nurburgring Sprint. The current GT Black Series is at 1:28. Even the old stock Vantage was below 1:40....similar to the old E63 safety car...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

basti313 wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 15:25
AR3-GP wrote:
But this is too slow. The fastest EQS (Dynamic something...) is at 1:44 at the short Nurburgring Sprint. The current GT Black Series is at 1:28. Even the old stock Vantage was below 1:40....similar to the old E63 safety car...
It would be a next gen model.

However, unless they are stupid like Audi, they will simply develop an AMG-GT successor.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 25 Jul 2023, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

molina
molina

An A class is way off the target customer these marketing exercises are intended to appeal.
A new replacement for the AMG GT is due, so it will come to replace the existing gen.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
They can make the car as fast as they want - it doesn't have to be the same as the road car. So more powerful motor, better tyres (a fairly key thing), speed limiter lifted/removed, etc..

But the reality is that they'll just use a reworked AMG GT or a reworked Aston.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

molina wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 15:37
An A class is way off the target customer these marketing exercises are intended to appeal.
A new replacement for the AMG GT is due, so it will come to replace the existing gen.
Yeah, about that AMG GT repalcement, it'll only be a successor in name, it'll essentially just be an SL Coupe with the exact same underpinnings (chassis and drivetrain), so, goodbye front-mid engine layout, dry-sump lubrication, transaxle, hello increased front weight bias, higher CoG, and about an extra 250kg of mass...

But hey, at least it's gonna have all-wheel drive traction and safe understeering balance in the rain...

basti313
basti313

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 15:50
basti313 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
They can make the car as fast as they want - it doesn't have to be the same as the road car. So more powerful motor, better tyres (a fairly key thing), speed limiter lifted/removed, etc..

I think we agree on the AMG GT staying...

For the tires: No, they use fairly "normal" or stock tires. They need some robustness and they can not use semis because they need to work in a lot of rain to do enough racing laps at Spa. This is the difficulty for the safety car, otherwise the current GT would be even faster.

Same goes for the engine. The GT Black Series is anyways on or above the limit for track usage. They can not squeeze more power. The GT3 version for track usage has nearly 200hp less...
At the Nuerburgring people use tuned GTs...they just eat through engines and turbos...not usable as a reliable safety car. Now if you take anything less powerfull and take it up to the power of the current safety cars...this will not work.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

basti313 wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 14:51

For the tires: No, they use fairly "normal" or stock tires. They need some robustness and they can not use semis because they need to work in a lot of rain to do enough racing laps at Spa. This is the difficulty for the safety car, otherwise the current GT would be even faster.
Why not just have 2 cars. 1 on slick tires. The on standby with wet tires. They would need a backup car in any case because of the chance of mechanical issues or an accident for the primary safety car.

SiLo

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 15:56
basti313 wrote:

Why not just have 2 cars. 1 on slick tires. The on standby with wet tires. They would need a backup car in any case because of the chance of mechanical issues or an accident for the primary safety car.
They have two cars, but one is a backup I believe. Can't have the slicks one fail and then have to drive on wet tyres after changing.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 15:50
basti313 wrote:

Same goes for the engine. The GT Black Series is anyways on or above the limit for track usage. They can not squeeze more power. The GT3 version for track usage has nearly 200hp less...
At the Nuerburgring people use tuned GTs...they just eat through engines and turbos...not usable as a reliable safety car. Now if you take anything less powerfull and take it up to the power of the current safety cars...this will not work.
When I talked about making it more powerful, I was talking about the EV option. Although it's currently got a lot of power through the two motors.

As for tyres, there are wet weather racing tyres out there. Something designed for Le Mans would likely do the job pretty well. Doesn't need to be a road-legal tyre, after all.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313
basti313

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 15:56
basti313 wrote:

Maybe...a bit of different thinking in terms of redundancy.
But...if you put a 3T electrical Mercedes on Cup tires...will it just eat through these tires? You also need to plan for something like 15SC laps on an agressive track.

Sofa King
Sofa King

Why not use the Aston Martin Valkyrie?