2023 Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort, Aug 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2023 Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort, Aug 25 - 27

organic wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:15
Ah well I agree with you Re: flares. Bad look from RB mechanics to do that after the circuit made a big statement on them this year and it seemed to be respected by the crowd. Shame

If they're all consenting then it's not as egregious (cause no consent is essentially assaulting those around them) but still not a good look
Agreed. If the circuit/FIA had said "yay, flares are fine" then that's OK. But the FIA and, significantly, the circuit, had said "no flares" and impressively the vast majority of the public took that on board. Indeed, I think it was only a few people after the race that decided to set off flares. So, boo to them, but otherwise, "well done" to the rest of the crowd that respected the rules. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123
wesley123

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:14
organic wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:12
Is that true? Usually stuff closely related to the race topic is allowed post-race :P the flares used by the race winners despite the zandvoort circuit banning their use seems pretty on-topic for Zandvoort's race thread

If it is off topic then we can be informed / posts removed but I don't think anyone would be banned over that
Chris90 and I have are not supposed to argue. History and stuff. Or something.
:lol: - as much as we could have a discussion about the dangers of a little bit of pyro/ fireworks, walking down the road and potentially being hit by a car - and the fact that motorsport is dangerous and everyone attends at their own risk - it would probably end in a little 'heated' discussion about what's right and what's wrong, what should be allowed and what isn't. Probably the best I/We dont get involved in such discussion in respect of the thread.

I will say though....its a cotton wool generation that people are involved in these days worldwide. When you look at other happenings in the world and what people are 'against' and protesting about it makes for grim viewing (in my opinion at least).

That's all i'm saying on the matter
I'm genuinely wondering how you get to that from Red Bull not respecting the requests from the organizers of the event? There seem to be some fairly weird logical lapses going on there
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

chrisc90

Race start chaos and the gains and losses for each driver. 3 leaders in 5 laps. Bet that hasnt happened often in F1

@wesley - i'm really not going to engage in derailing the thread discussing it. But you only have to look at the changes being made just in F1 alone....I mean teams no longer allowed to stand on the pitwall to celebrate the driver winning? (its probably worthy of a separate thread - providing people keep it constructive and clean between people. But 9/10 times it ends up getting locked anyhow)

Rodak
Rodak

This track showed us how to police track limits; have plenty of gravel and grass. Even with the rain there weren't limit violations - a lesson that could be usefully applied to a bunch of other tracks.

organic

Rodak wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:48
This track showed us how to police track limits; have plenty of gravel and grass. Even with the rain there weren't limit violations - a lesson that could be usefully applied to a bunch of other tracks.
Made for a lot of red flags though. First time since 2021 imola that we've had a red flag in every session

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 00:04
Rodak wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:48
Made for a lot of red flags though. First time since 2021 imola that we've had a red flag in every session
Zhou's crash combined with the rain would have been a red flag anywhere though. Iirc, he skidded off on tarmac, and into the barrier. So the gravel and grass didn't cause this particular moment.

chrisc90

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJGf1dwo/

Max… part time f1 driver. Part time sim racer, part time race team leader, part time camera man.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

denyall wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:45
I thought Sainz defense after the red flag was great! I mean it sucked because 4th for Ham was in the cards had he be able to clear, but Sainz made that Ferrari a mile wide and then used the boost on the start finish straight and Ham didn't have a chance.

I'd argue that Sainz defense was so good it caused the bumper cars between Norris and Rus, really, Sainz should get a penalty for that
The merc got snappy a few times out of the last corner. That's why imo Ham didn't get a proper chance at Sainz. In fact, the tail happy Merc almost cost him the position to Norris on the final lap. It was so close at the finish line.

denyall

Hammerfist wrote:
denyall wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:45
I thought Sainz defense after the red flag was great! I mean it sucked because 4th for Ham was in the cards had he be able to clear, but Sainz made that Ferrari a mile wide and then used the boost on the start finish straight and Ham didn't have a chance.

I'd argue that Sainz defense was so good it caused the bumper cars between Norris and Rus, really, Sainz should get a penalty for that
The merc got snappy a few times out of the last corner. That's why imo Ham didn't get a proper chance at Sainz. In fact, the tail happy Merc almost cost him the position to Norris on the final lap. It was so close at the finish line.
Makes sense, that group of cars was quick behind Sainz, I was expecting a dive from George on Lewis after he cleared Norris, but Norris fought back, and George was the big loser in that fight. Don't think Norris picked up any damage but might have.

I'm glad Lewis didn't bin it trying too hard if that makes sense, much rather save the crash money for developing the car.

As for Sainz, obviously the car was a handful and he did perfect. Hat off to him

Oleo
Oleo

In the grandstands there are 100.000 people packed tightly, with a lot of kids as well.
If any random amount of people are gonna use flares in such a situation, you ll get:
Potentially 100s - 1000s flares
Blocked vision for paying customer.
Toxic fumes inhaled by little kids and everyone else.
Potentially dangerous situation in the stands.
So much smoke that it could become dangerous on track.
etc. etc.

If the winning team uses a couple of flares in a celebration, you ll get:
+-10 flares used, localised not near crowds.
Fans that love to see that.
A bit of whining on some forum, cause when Red Bull does anything its worth whining about.

DDopey
DDopey

Funny that there is now still a discussion of flares which had no impact at all. In the grandstand where I was, no flares at all and was quite happy with it. So some mechanics using them after the race is imo a totally different story.

DGP123
DGP123

GrizzleBoy wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 17:49
You know the season is boring when a race just ended and nobody is arguing about anything.
Only 27 pages showcases that even though it was initially chaotic, not much actually transpired. The racing has been extremely poor this season, so it’s no wonder flares are now being used as a way of discussion to create the arguments.

organic

DGP123 wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 11:50
GrizzleBoy wrote:
You know the season is boring when a race just ended and nobody is arguing about anything.
Only 27 pages showcases that even though it was initially chaotic, not much actually transpired. The racing has been extremely poor this season, so it’s no wonder flares are now being used as a way of discussion to create the arguments.
Surely it was one of the best races of the year. Tons of opportunities for cars all over the grid to do well, drivers to make the difference etc. 175 overtakes also happened which is an F1 record by the way ..

People don't use the race threads as much in the race anymore as it's encouraged to use discord for more live commentary to lessen workload for mods etc

And in this race there's not much to argue about. Most of what happened is fairly clear cut:

Some teams/drivers got critical calls right that rewarded them. Some drivers made mistakes in the wet, some of which were punished more than others.

Usually the threads pop-off post-race when there are questionable calls / scenarios that aren't clear cut.
Last edited by organic on 28 Aug 2023, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

organic wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 11:56
DGP123 wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 11:50
GrizzleBoy wrote:
Surely it was one of the best races of the year. Tons of opportunities for cars all over the grid to do well, drivers to make the difference etc. 175 overtakes also happened which is an F1 record by the way ..

People don't use the race threads as much in the race anymore as it's encouraged to use discord for more live commentary to lessen workload for mods etc
The discord channel was brilliant (again) this race. Great informal discussion with plenty of helpful messages to any possible questions etc and pointers that were missed in the live stream and it was a laugh aswell.

Wouter

DChemTech wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 17:50
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 17:47
DChemTech wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 17:46
Oh my I wished alonso won just to avoid thar abomination of an anthem. Just play the CD for Pete's sake.
Sorry to say but as a Dutchman I found it one of the best live versions they’ve sung. Moving.

Pete can keep his sake
And as a dutchman I prefer Pete. Way too cringy for my taste.
Tastes differ. Max said after the race that both interpretations of the Wilhelmus gave him goosebumps.
Also when Emma Heesters sang the national anthem flawlessly and lashed out at the end, you saw that Max
looked up to the sky and had red eyes and tears in his eyes. He was very emotional. We haven't seen Max like this very often.

The Power of Dreams!