2023 Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort, Aug 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DDopey
DDopey

Re: 2023 Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort, Aug 25 - 27

I do understand that I am in the minority. But for me the whole event could have been much more about racing. It looked for some audience it was much more about the party than motorsport. I would have loved to get more info during the yellows and reds, rather than the endless party tracks which the horrible dutch sing alongs. I think it could have been much more informative, focused on racing, driving and all the engineering things. Now it just looked sometimes like a Dutch regional wedding.

That said, I hate all that Dutch music, and LALALA crowd things, so its probably be me. Anyway, last time for me here in The Netherlands.

Sieper

No, I don’t like it either, plus, it is always way too loud at events. Time to enforce the existing laws again. Every event can be heard over 10km away these days.

Chuckjr

Can somebody please let production know that replays are best suited for lulls in race action — like a virtual safety car, safety car, or much, much later in the race. I could give a frogs fat a** about a slow motion Tsu pit stop lap 2 when Max is attacking Rus on lap 4.

Nobody would rather see the race start from 50 angles than Gas vs Rus, Fred vs Shal, or Sai vs Pia during laps 4-6. Nobody. Production chose start replays, typical start passes, and pit stops over live battles from lap 4 to lap 6 in treacherous and chaotic conditions on a track that allows for great passing. Come on man. Seriously.
Watching F1 since 1986.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

They seem to be using a pre-formatted production schedule which requires race replays on lap 2. It's been like this for a long while and it's unfortunate.

rbirules
rbirules

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 19:11
They seem to be using a pre-formatted production schedule which requires race replays on lap 2. It's been like this for a long while and it's unfortunate.
Yep, it's usually right around the end of the second lap or beginning of the third lap as cars are getting in position for DRS to be enabled, and then we cut to an extended replay of the start of the race. It's maddening.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Chuckjr wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 19:06
Can somebody please let production know that replays are best suited for lulls in race action — like a virtual safety car, safety car, or much, much later in the race. I could give a frogs fat a** about a slow motion Tsu pit stop lap 2 when Max is attacking Rus on lap 4.
Agreed. For some reason they will always switch to a pit stop no matter what is going on out on track. There could be 3 cars fighting in one corner and they still switch to a pit stop. Infuriating.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

Track position was switching like mad, and we saw, none of it. Maybe they will still produce a F1 Zandvoort opening laps chaos video on YouTube (as they sometimes do). I hope so.

Chuckjr

If anyone has video of the first 8-10 laps race footage sans replays, feel free to share. [-o<
Watching F1 since 1986.

ringo

DDopey wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 13:26
I do understand that I am in the minority. But for me the whole event could have been much more about racing. It looked for some audience it was much more about the party than motorsport. I would have loved to get more info during the yellows and reds, rather than the endless party tracks which the horrible dutch sing alongs. I think it could have been much more informative, focused on racing, driving and all the engineering things. Now it just looked sometimes like a Dutch regional wedding.

That said, I hate all that Dutch music, and LALALA crowd things, so its probably be me. Anyway, last time for me here in The Netherlands.
Well the result is basically known. Max will win, so the people need to occupy themselves with other things besides the racing.
I don't mind the partying. Max in some way is following the same kind of career as hamilton even with his fan base. Therw will be millions on non racings fans that follow him. It is expected that the fans are just glad to be in the moment and witnessing the history max is making for them as Dutch.
For Sure!!

DDopey
DDopey

Sieper wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 18:24
No, I don’t like it either, plus, it is always way too loud at events. Time to enforce the existing laws again. Every event can be heard over 10km away these days.
For me it is not so much that it is loud, cannot say the cars are that quiet, even with the hybrid engines 😃. It is just that it has so little to do with racing.

TimW
TimW

Chuckjr wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 22:53
If anyone has video of the first 8-10 laps race footage sans replays, feel free to share. [-o<
On F1TV during the replays, the international feed only shows the replays, the F1 Live feed (first option in the sidebar) shows the replays and the live feed next to each other. So although not full size you can still see what's going on on track.

bosyber
bosyber

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 20:19
Chuckjr wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 19:06
Agreed. For some reason they will always switch to a pit stop no matter what is going on out on track. There could be 3 cars fighting in one corner and they still switch to a pit stop. Infuriating.
Some of the not-shown overtakes also took ages to be replayed. Partly understandable as at least they followed action on track, but still a bit incongruent with what they did indeed ended up showing. A slow pitstop for me can also be just mentioned, esp. if it is the (now rather common) tyre stuck/couldn't get tyre to lock on axle stuff, just show us how much longer it took and save the precious screen time for actual on track racing.
edit: Sainz pitstop when the team had no inters ready, yes, do show that, but no real need to see it for the full minute drama it took really, unless there's nothing else going on.

Wouter

Formula 1 GP Netherlands sets ultimate overtaking record
Yesterday, 4:20 PM

Overtaking at Circuit Zandvoort virtually impossible? Not really! Last weekend's Formula 1 Grand Prix of the Netherlands
set a new overtaking record. No less than 186 times they overtook for position on the track!
https://racingnews365.nl/formule-1-gp-n ... haalrecord
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 10:06
Formula 1 GP Netherlands sets ultimate overtaking record
Yesterday, 4:20 PM

Overtaking at Circuit Zandvoort virtually impossible? Not really! Last weekend's Formula 1 Grand Prix of the Netherlands
set a new overtaking record. No less than 186 times they overtook for position on the track!
https://racingnews365.nl/formule-1-gp-n ... haalrecord
Wet races with people trying to stay on slicks whilst others are on wet tyres will always result in high numbers of overtakes on track because the drivers on slicks can't defend - they're too busy not crashing! A driver on wets coming through a field of drivers on slicks could do 15 overtakes in a single lap in the right conditions. A case of statistics telling multiple stories depending on who is reading them. Irrespective of that, there was some good racing on Sunday so that's a good result for all. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ringo

Yes Perez would have even overtaken about 6 to 10 cars in one lap because of the conditions.
I did like the race however, it had good action. A bit frustrating with not much movement in the end, but there was no relaxing for the drivers. Even Max had a slight concern with Alonso at the restart.
For Sure!!