Are F1 penalties still adequate?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
basti313
basti313

Re: Are F1 penalties still adequate?

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 20:40
Lets say 10 laps from the end, purely for reasonings sake, it would be the same anyhow at whatever point in the race.

Team A drivers fighting for 3rd position, the last step on the podium.
Car A from Team A sends it down the inside and manages to make the move stick by both cars going through the corner level. Car A on the inside, and car B on the outside.
Car A then runs that car out wide, pushing Car B off the track and onto the grass.

At this point, you have a car forcing another off the track, so as what we normally see, thats a 10second penalty. (Lets not argue about fine specifics that Car B is entitled to XYZ, Just the pure fact that Car A forced Car B off the track)
Both Car A and Car B are from the same team A.

Behind is Team B at 6 seconds, and it drops down to 5 seconds after Car B from Team A rejoined the track. At this point your gaps are.

Team A - Car A. 0:000 (lets presume the gap to 2nd place is totally irrelevant)
Team A - Car B + 3seconds
Team B - Car A/b +5seconds.

Stewards note the incident and investigate, .......
No, your reasoning does not make any sense. In the case one car is simply pushed wide, they would be asked to switch positions. Which does not make sense for an intra team battle.
You would need to discuss a case where someone is send into a wall or rotated.
Don`t russel the hamster!

chrisc90

basti313 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 12:56

No, your reasoning does not make any sense. In the case one car is simply pushed wide, they would be asked to switch positions. Which does not make sense for an intra team battle.
You would need to discuss a case where someone is send into a wall or rotated.

Ok then, use a case where one was sent into a wall or spin round and come back and say that the reasoning isn’t sensible.
chrisc90 wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 10:24

If there is a drive by (driving - spelling) standards issues, it should be dealt with equally, irrespective of those involved.

organic

Peter Piper

An interesting related issue in MotoGP at the moment is tyre pressures. and the subsequent penalties. It's clearly not putting the riders off.

https://www.the-race.com/motogp/bagnaia ... gp-rounds/
Told of Bagnaia's warning and them drawing level in that regard, Martin said: "It's perfect. I think from my side I can risk. I don't care to finish fourth with a good pressure, I prefer to battle for victory with a low pressure.

"Three seconds is not that much. Today I don't know exactly the distance [between bikes], but you can finish on the podium, even if you get the penalty.

TFSA

Peter Piper wrote:An interesting related issue in MotoGP at the moment is tyre pressures. and the subsequent penalties. It's clearly not putting the riders off.
Pretty sure that would have been a DSQ in F1. Clearly an error on the side of MotoGP. They need to take that stuff seriously.

FW17

Once again F1 penalty for illegal overtaking being penalized inadequately. I think it should be simple as returning the place within a lap. Today the 10 sec penalty seemed adequate but by keeping the place taken from Tsunoda, the penalized driver helped his teammate score a point.

This point for a tail-end team being cheated out of it looks very unfair.