F1 myths?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Billzilla
Billzilla

Re: F1 myths?

My fave is how the BMW turbo engine of the mid 80's had 1,500 hp.
No, it didn't. More like about 1,200 for qualifying and about 1,000 for the race.

Astro85
Astro85

Another one debunked from last season, Russell only beat Hamilton in 2022 because Lewis was running experimental setups.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Astro85 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 10:52
Another one debunked from last season, Russell only beat Hamilton in 2022 because Lewis was running experimental setups.
I'll call you up on that one - where was that a thing?

Don't make this thread about driver fanboy nonsense eh?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Astro85
Astro85

CMSMJ1 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 10:58
Astro85 wrote:

It is often given as a reason for Russell finishing higher in the points standings, Russell himself and Shovelin debunked that.

That's not my intention tbh, I'll keep drivers out of it in future.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CMSMJ1 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 10:58
Astro85 wrote:

That one was definitely circulated to my knowledge.

edit: it looks like quoting someone else's post got this flagged.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 19 Sep 2023, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

@CMSMJ1, that one was widely circulated to my knowledge. I can't quote you because you've used a bad word :lol:

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 15:15
@CMSMJ1, that one was widely circulated to my knowledge. I can't quote you because you've used a bad word :lol:
Not sure I did... :wtf: But either way - let's leave this drivers waffle far, far away from this thread eh? [-o<
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Astro85
Astro85

When commentators and such round the figure up to 200mph when speaking about the speed the cars reach on the straight, they often did that when the cars were only in the 180's.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Astro85 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 17:18
When commentators and such round the figure up to 200mph when speaking about the speed the cars reach on the straight, they often did that when the cars were only in the 180's.
Hardly surprising when so many of them have no technical bent at all. Crofty, for example, started out doing theatre publicity before moving to hospital radio ("And here's a mention for Beryl in Ward 7 from her son Bob - get well soon Mum!") and then sports broadcasting. I doubt he even knows the difference between mph and km/h. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

pob

Some of the exaggeration of the speeds comes from the FOM data: the top speeds in qualifying are often 10 to 15 mph slower than those given in the circuit previews.
FOM also exaggerate the circuit attendance figures.

Astro85
Astro85

Rain is the great car equalizer, well, no it isn't, the better the car better it will be in the rain all things being equal.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Astro85 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 18:37
Rain is the great car equalizer, well, no it isn't, the better the car better it will be in the rain all things being equal.
That wouldn't explain Alonso qualifying P2 in Canada last year or the massive gap between teammates that can occur when it rains. We have definitely seen rain give slower cars a shot at a better starting position by virtue of weaker drivers in faster cars being exposed.

Rodak
Rodak

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 20:10
Greg Locock wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 14:59
My favorite F1 myth is that new techs are developed in F1 that then get used in production cars. Other than CF monocoques, nope.
Electrical energy management software, development methodology, and tools? yes
No. Certainly the management systems, rear brake by wire, MGU-H and MGU-K, et al are impressive, but they have no relevance to road cars. F1 cars are pretty much on the brakes or on the throttle all the time, with on throttle at Monza about 75% of the time. Road cars are VERY rarely at full throttle; most of street driving is at steady low throttle, so the F1 regenerative system are of no use at all, especially on long highway trips at a steady 2000 rpm. So, very interesting tech but of no use to road cars. The Prius was introduced in Japan in 1997.......

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Rodak wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 02:19
AR3-GP wrote:
Greg Locock wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 14:59
My favorite F1 myth is that new techs are developed in F1 that then get used in production cars. Other than CF monocoques, nope.
No. Certainly the management systems, rear brake by wire, MGU-H and MGU-K, et al are impressive, but they have no relevance to road cars. F1 cars are pretty much on the brakes or on the throttle all the time, with on throttle at Monza about 75% of the time. Road cars are VERY rarely at full throttle; most of street driving is at steady low throttle, so the F1 regenerative system are of no use at all, especially on long highway trips at a steady 2000 rpm. So, very interesting tech but of no use to road cars. The Prius was introduced in Japan in 1997.......
Many Hybrid and electric vehicles today have brake by wire systems. These systems seamlessly blend the motor regeneration and the mechanical brakes. This may have existed long before F1 adopted hybrids but there is something to learn if you care to look for it. F1 and production may differ in the values of the control parameters but there is a framework which allows for crossover of ideas.

Rodak
Rodak

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 04:13
Rodak wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 02:19
AR3-GP wrote:

Many Hybrid and electric vehicles today have brake by wire systems. These systems seamlessly blend the motor regeneration and the mechanical brakes. This may have existed long before F1 adopted hybrids but there is something to learn if you care to look for it. F1 and production may differ in the values of the control parameters but there is a framework which allows for crossover of ideas.
Agreed. The question is in which direction the innovation went and in this case and many others it was from road cars to F1, not the other way around. F1 road relevance is vastly over rated and I think F1 should just give up that meme and go racing.

Disc brakes - aircraft. Carbon brakes - aircraft. Carbon composites - aircraft. Monocoque construction - aircraft. Regenerative braking - road cars. Turbochargers - WW2 aircraft. Wings on a car - F1. Exciting racing - F1; they should concentrate on this.