2023 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Oct 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
search

Re: 2023 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Oct 27 - 29

chrisc90 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 14:16
CMSMJ1 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 13:50
chrisc90 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 13:45
What’s the MSC meaning?
OT - but Michael Schumacher is MSC
Yeah, I thought that… or mick. But what’s the tie with Alonso?
there's none, apart from the fact that both could potentially cause "sad news" for Fabrega.

AMG.Tzan

Alonso retiring seems legit since Aston Martin pretty much slammed to the bottom of the performance chart!

So no point in staying there to battle outside the top 10! A shame since the partnership looked quite promising!

Aston Martin suddenly entering Le Mans sure is connected to this! It will probably become Honda works by 2026…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Holm86

organic wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 03:50
The paddock talks. Wonder what this rumour is...

:-s
I don't want to believe the rumor that they have told me now in the paddock. No.
Wind tunnel numbers of the RB20 showing they're already way ahead of the RB19

deadhead

Holm86 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 16:36
organic wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 03:50
The paddock talks. Wonder what this rumour is...

:-s
I don't want to believe the rumor that they have told me now in the paddock. No.
Wind tunnel numbers of the RB20 showing they're already way ahead of the RB19
mh, worst case scenario really

Mogster

Spacepace wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:21
InsaneX_Badger wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:16
This track is 100% leaving the calendar after Perez leaves F1
Although it is a lame track I feel like overall it's good for f1 as the turnout is really good and a Mexican fan base is huge for the sport. Perez has let everyone down
Yes, I enjoy the crazy fan support. The circuit is like a motorsports amphitheater.

Although not a great circuit for racing it’s an outlier that brings technical challenges, cooling, aero. When you have a season dominated so heavily by one team/driver F1 desperately needs these venues to shake things up a bit.

stephen

djones wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 20:56
stephen wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 20:52
Daniel Ricciardo at P4 feels like one of those over qualifications where he'll quickly drop to outside of the top 10.
Likely.

I hope this single performance (in a sea of average performances) does not give him a shot at a Redbull seat next year. That needs some fresh exciting blood to challenge Max once in a while.
He actually performed really well in the race too and with Checo early exit, he made his case stronger to get a Red Bull seat next season.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

avantman
avantman

Photo Kym Illman.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

avantman wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 21:26
https://ibb.co/jJxXhYs
Photo Kym Illman.
Photo kind of confirms what I saw in the birds eye view video of the start. Both Max and Sergio turned in at similar times while Charles kind of just didn't. His car is the one one facing the direction it is facing at this moment in time.

He didn't have nowhere to go. It was miniscule, but it was space that I've seen drivers use in wheel to wheel racing before.

Still Sergios fault for not leaving more space, but those angles make me feel it could've gone another way if Charles drove another way.

chrisc90

GrizzleBoy wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 23:42
avantman wrote:
Photo Kym Illman.
Photo kind of confirms what I saw in the birds eye view video of the start. Both Max and Sergio turned in at similar times while Charles kind of just didn't. His car is the one one facing the direction it is facing at this moment in time.

He didn't have nowhere to go. It was miniscule, but it was space that I've seen drivers use in wheel to wheel racing before.

Still Sergios fault for not leaving more space, but those angles make me feel it could've gone another way if Charles drove another way.
Ive just looked at Charles' onboard of this and I think it kind of goes 80/20% towards Checos fault to be fair.

Checo was actually in the lead coming into the braking zone, Charles them brakes a fraction later, but by that time its getting a bit tight. Charles actually does have a bit of right steering input to move away from Checo, who is drifting across (presumably thinking he had outbraked Charles who yielded a bit.)
Checo was always going to try and aim for the apex I think. Which was probably the wrong move to take.

Few onboards and slowed down clips.

avantman
avantman

Important to note, Leclerc was half car length behind both Red bull cars in the end of the straight before they started braking. Max braked the first, being on the dirty inside line, Checo braked later, Charles braked the latest. Checo could've and should've turned in a bitter later, leaving a bit more space. But I think he simply relied on Charles and expected him to back off, as Checo moved ahead just before braking. Charles had a chance to anticipate and back off a bit earlier . I'm not quite understand how was he going to outbrake both red bulls being in the middle coming to the tight right hander. Racing incident in my books.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 00:17
GrizzleBoy wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 23:42
avantman wrote:
Photo Kym Illman.

Ive just looked at Charles' onboard of this and I think it kind of goes 80/20% towards Checos fault to be fair.

Checo was actually in the lead coming into the braking zone, Charles them brakes a fraction later, but by that time its getting a bit tight. Charles actually does have a bit of right steering input to move away from Checo, who is drifting across (presumably thinking he had outbraked Charles who yielded a bit.)
Checo was always going to try and aim for the apex I think. Which was probably the wrong move to take.

Few onboards and slowed down clips.

I'd recommend looking at the footage of the overhead shots of the race starts that sky does (and maybe others too).

If you and the poster above are right about Charles being later on the brakes then it would explain why it seemed to me in the overhead video and the screenshot posted above that Charles would be the last one to actually be turning in if he's still trying to steady the car and would explain why he didn't use the (very small) amount of space on his right that opened up as Max turned into the corner.

Could also be that he planned to brake deep and switch back across to get a better exit out of T3 to chase Max down on the next straight.

TFSA

GrizzleBoy wrote:
avantman wrote:
Photo Kym Illman.

Charles can't know when Max is going to start his turn. He has to react to it to avoid hitting Max, as the only other alternative is to do what Checo did, and just turn and pray. This picture is taken just as Max had started his turn. Leclerc is doing exactly what he's supposed to do.

The reason you've seen drivers use that space before it's that they mostly do it in corners where you carry less speed approaching them. If you're entering a corner slowly, it's way easier to use the space.

LM10
LM10

100% Checo's fault. Why is this even being discussed?

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

LM10 wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 10:57
Because there are people who feel it is not 100% Checo's fault and like to discuss the incident? What else is this forum for if not discussing different opinions?

LM10
LM10

SirBastianVettel wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 11:01
LM10 wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 10:57
Because there are people who feel it is not 100% Checo's fault and like to discuss the incident? What else is this forum for if not discussing different opinions?
Alright then...

It is 99.9% Checo's fault and 0.1% Leclerc's fault for not having looked to his right and to his left at the same time to then turn in simultaneously with Max and Checo in order to not make Checo turn into him.