Ferrari SF-24 speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mzso
mzso

Re: Ferrari SF-24 speculation

gordonthegun wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 23:18
From the shakedown:
Here the rear suspension is more visible. Looks like pull-rod.

https://f1lead.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -Event.jpg
But, there's nothing stopping Haas from using an older suspension than Ferrari, right?

scuderiabrandon

mzso wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 23:36
gordonthegun wrote:
From the shakedown:

But, there's nothing stopping Haas from using an older suspension than Ferrari, right?
No but why would they?

gordonthegun

mzso wrote:
gordonthegun wrote:
From the shakedown:

No, but the front suspension is definitely new and I would be surprised if only the rear was old.

mzso
mzso

scuderiabrandon wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 23:37
mzso wrote:
gordonthegun wrote:
From the shakedown:

No but why would they?
Sames as was what was stated for Ferrari: "The fact they stay with pull must have to do with the fact that their traction has always been the best and don’t want to lose that quality."

Good enough for them, and save money on redesigning stuff.

jambuka
jambuka

So what changes are being speculated up till now ?
* Slim gearbox
* Updated suspension arms
* Halo aero updates ?
* Center line cooling
* Suspension remains same but change in geometry
* SIS change
* Updated PU hybrid mappings
* Anything inside cockpit ?
* Weight will be reduced to the limit.

Farnborough
Farnborough

jambuka wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 01:13
* Slim gearbox
* Halo aero updates ?
* Center line cooling
* SIS change
Cardile described the reason to move lower sips position (they previously chose highest location possible) to place it into the floor top surface was in facilitating a change to sidepod "front blocking" as the translation described it.
From that, it seems logical to increase flow volume going over floor and under sidepod, as RB do.

Extending the clue given by Haas reveal, looks to be raised sidepod entry with more flow underneath and thinner vertical section of those inlets.
That would SUGGEST additional centreline cooling as volume down in lowest part of sidepod would become more limited.

ing.

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 22:18
Tap points are pressure sensor points, there is a whole heap of them on WT models and especially on suction surfaces. The red image shows their array on that particular run, light orange (or yellow?) points show exact position of each sensor tap.
👍🏻 Hadn’t noticed the yellow dots.

I would imagine that the display must be automated based on data input of the various test components/assemblies for each run.

Blackout

Farnborough wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 01:37
jambuka wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 01:13
* Slim gearbox
* Halo aero updates ?
* Center line cooling
* SIS change
Cardile described the reason to move lower sips position (they previously chose highest location possible) to place it into the floor top surface was in facilitating a change to sidepod "front blocking" as the translation described it.
From that, it seems logical to increase flow volume going over floor and under sidepod, as RB do.

Extending the clue given by Haas reveal, looks to be raised sidepod entry with more flow underneath and thinner vertical section of those inlets.
That would SUGGEST additional centreline cooling as volume down in lowest part of sidepod would become more limited.
IMO Ferrari can implement a deep sidepod undercut without the need to use a big centerline cooling system.
But it's hard to believe they can make their Gbox even slimmer. Their 22 & 23 gbox look already extremely slim with their sculpted bottom half that is less wide than the 4 bottom mandatory mounting points...

Xyz22
Xyz22

I'm sure there are crucial information hidden in this video :D

Jokes aside, just a little more than 24 hours to go.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 12 Feb 2024, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

jambuka
jambuka

Xyz22 wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 10:38

I'm sure there are crucial information hidden in this video :D

Jokes aside, just a little more than 24 hours to.
Confirmed the car is going to be red.

Vanja #66

Wide cannon outlet rear, pushrod front, Spa 2023 wing for the launch. That's about the extent of visible details :lol:

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Hmmmm. Will this come back to bite them? I genuinely hope that FER have made enough changes to their car and haven’t gone too conservative. Really looks like most are converging, but I guess if FER are staying pull on the rear they will have to manage their airflow in a different way

Farnborough
Farnborough

Vinlarr89 wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 13:15
Hmmmm. Will this come back to bite them? I genuinely hope that FER have made enough changes to their car and haven’t gone too conservative. Really looks like most are converging, but I guess if FER are staying pull on the rear they will have to manage their airflow in a different way
It was proven to be fast last year, very often a match in absolute lap time at points without peer.

They sounded like they had very good appreciation of their shortfall perception, pragmatic and resolved. This may bring a more acute thinking to the pull rear in working around what others see as limitations. Some elements may be moved in location to bring less aero compromise (this is generally how its being judged, aero flexibility in that post engine location with regard to tunnels etc) and may just bring them into where they feel their chassis performance is optimum.

Hard to judge as every team now seems to have a more accurate focus on their own performance, naturally as rule set matures, I've reasonable confidence this years car is going to be a good match for front pace.

franbatista123

Vinlarr89 wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 13:15
Pure speculation, but either Ferrari thinks the net benefit of changing it isn't worth it versus improving the current suspension, or they already plan on doing it but haven't done so for budget reasons. I'm leaning on the former, considering what's been said about wanting to keep current strengths.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

I view them sticking to pull-rod at the rear as a good thing, tbh. No one is getting close to RB, let alone beating them by doing the same thing as them due to a 2-year head start that they have on everybody.

I might end up eating these words in 10 days, though.