2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
suki99
suki99

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Hi guys, I’m new to this forum I’m trying to learn and understand most of the f1 technical aspects of the sport.

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand why they asked Carlos to lift and coast at lap 49 right after his fastest lap? His tyres were 7 laps newer than Charles. Did Carlos’ tyres had the risk to overheat? I’m sorry if the answer is obvious I’m just lost and you guys are so insightful, thank you :cry:

Xyz22
Xyz22

Reminder that the SF 23 was slower than the F1 75 during quali in Suzuka. The car was significantly slower in some of the corners, so we should see a huge improvement this year.

scuderiabrandon

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 08:56
scuderiabrandon wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 23:48
unrelated since I'm not sure where to put this question but have pirelli announced the compounds for this race yet. I have no doubt it will be the C1-C3 but I would like an official announcement/ we link if possible thanks!
Yes, Hard range for Japan and Middle range for China and Miami

https://press.pirelli.com/these-are-the ... and-miami/
thanks!

Xyz22
Xyz22

Interesting analysis.

Leclerc had a very bad quali but his race was quite solid despite a suboptimal strategy, which is indeed a good sign.

Andres125sx

suki99 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 09:20
Hi guys, I’m new to this forum I’m trying to learn and understand most of the f1 technical aspects of the sport.

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand why they asked Carlos to lift and coast at lap 49 right after his fastest lap? His tyres were 7 laps newer than Charles. Did Carlos’ tyres had the risk to overheat? I’m sorry if the answer is obvious I’m just lost and you guys are so insightful, thank you :cry:
Hi and welcome :D

I have no idea sincerely, but you´re asuming it´s related to tires, but when they say lift and coast the problem is usually more related to fuel consumption than tires. Since efficiency is a concern, fuel tanks are limited, and they need to lift and coast a little bit every lap (as an average) to save fuel, as if they do every lap as a qualifying lap, they´d run out of fuel some laps before the checkered flag.

If Sainz just did a fast lap, wich implies no lift and coast, then he probably need to compensate on next laps with some more lift and coast than usual

But as I said, I have no idea about what was behind this specific message, maybe it was a code to save tires who knows, but if the message was straight it should be related to fuel consumption

.poz
.poz

suki99 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could help me understand why they asked Carlos to lift and coast at lap 49 right after his fastest lap? His tyres were 7 laps newer than Charles. Did Carlos’ tyres had the risk to overheat?
lift and coast is used limit fuel consumption, to save tires usually they ask the driver to limit the speed in some (high speed) corners or to change differential setting if the problem is on the rear tyres

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vasseur in an interview with an italian TV (Rai 1) said there won't be upgrades in the car for Suzuka, but maybe he was talking specifically about a big upgrade.

He also said that he feels they have not been able to extract all the potential from the car yet.

suki99
suki99

Andres125sx wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 17:16
suki99 wrote:

I have no idea sincerely, but you´re asuming it´s related to tires, but when they say lift and coast the problem is usually more related to fuel consumption than tires. Since efficiency is a concern, fuel tanks are limited, and they need to lift and coast a little bit every lap (as an average) to save fuel, as if they do every lap as a qualifying lap, they´d run out of fuel some laps before the checkered flag.

If Sainz just did a fast lap, wich implies no lift and coast, then he probably need to compensate on next laps with some more lift and coast than usual

But as I said, I have no idea about what was behind this specific message, maybe it was a code to save tires who knows, but if the message was straight it should be related to fuel consumption
Oh thank you very much. I went through his on board to try and find more info:

Lap 49
Ricky: “We will need 100m total LICO to protect against temps until the end of the race.”

Lap 50
Sainz: “Like this, the LICO?”
Ricky: “It’s a bit more than what we need, but if you want to keep it there for consistency I’ll let you know.”
Sainz: “That’s more than what we need?”
Ricky: “Yes, exactly.”

I’m not sure what “protect against temps” means, but is it a good or bad sign to the future race pace on hards on other races? or it is not related at all and is just a saving fuel situation?
Thank you for answering :)

suki99
suki99

.poz wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 17:17
suki99 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could help me understand why they asked Carlos to lift and coast at lap 49 right after his fastest lap? His tyres were 7 laps newer than Charles. Did Carlos’ tyres had the risk to overheat?
lift and coast is used limit fuel consumption, to save tires usually they ask the driver to limit the speed in some (high speed) corners or to change differential setting if the problem is on the rear tyres
Thank you, I was just a little bit lost bc I was hoping a good stint from Carlos in the hard tyres but seeing how they asked them to lift and coast I was left wondering why would he need to do it. Does that means he could have a little bit more pace at the end?

deadhead

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 08:56
scuderiabrandon wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 23:48
unrelated since I'm not sure where to put this question but have pirelli announced the compounds for this race yet. I have no doubt it will be the C1-C3 but I would like an official announcement/ we link if possible thanks!
Yes, Hard range for Japan and Middle range for China and Miami

https://press.pirelli.com/these-are-the ... and-miami/
Might be a relatively cold weekend at Suzuka so quali might be tricky to get the harder tires in their window.

deadhead

Xyz22 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 10:46
Reminder that the SF 23 was slower than the F1 75 during quali in Suzuka. The car was significantly slower in some of the corners, so we should see a huge improvement this year.
Slower even than a compromised F1-75 ...

scuderiabrandon

Xyz22 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 10:46
SF-24 will be the biggest improver. It's actually very sad looking back and seeing the SF-23 be 2 tenths slower than the 1st gen car & this is the race where the car made it's biggest step forward.

Andres125sx

suki99 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 22:57
Andres125sx wrote:
suki99 wrote:

Oh thank you very much. I went through his on board to try and find more info:

Lap 49
Ricky: “We will need 100m total LICO to protect against temps until the end of the race.”

Lap 50
Sainz: “Like this, the LICO?”
Ricky: “It’s a bit more than what we need, but if you want to keep it there for consistency I’ll let you know.”
Sainz: “That’s more than what we need?”
Ricky: “Yes, exactly.”

I’m not sure what “protect against temps” means, but is it a good or bad sign to the future race pace on hards on other races? or it is not related at all and is just a saving fuel situation?
Thank you for answering :)
I see two options, overheated brakes, or nothing and they simply tried to keep Sainz leader with no risks.

But that kind of message cannot be related to tires. Lift and coast is not done to prevent overheating tires, but to reduce fuel consumption or brake wear/temperature. If they need to save tires lift and coast is NOT the way to do it, it´d be reducing minimum speed on high speed and/or very long corners

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

https://formu1a.uno/it/ferrari-provate- ... -red-bull/

FERRARI: TRY THE UPSIDE-DOWN BELLIES IN RED BULL STYLE!

For the home Grand Prix, at Imola, an SF-24 is planned that has been profoundly evolved compared to the basic version that started the 2024 world championship. A part of this package, as already anticipated for some time, will include narrower cooling vents. A fairly "logical" path of evolution and already trodden by the RB19 last year. However, the work carried out within the walls of Maranello saw a model of SF-24 equipped with "inverted mouths" – with an advanced upper lip like on the RB20 – run in the tunnel. [...] At Ferrari, they tried to make an initial approach in that direction, but the results in the tunnel did not lead to positive results.

In Maranello, on the other hand, they are optimistic about the potential shown by the new aerodynamic look that will be introduced at Imola. The decision not to anticipate an updated bodysuit already at Suzuka is the result of the fact that the SF-24 was born well, and it was preferred to work on the new package until Easter week.

MattLightBlue
MattLightBlue

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 12:04
suki99 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 22:57
Andres125sx wrote:

I see two options, overheated brakes, or nothing and they simply tried to keep Sainz leader with no risks.

But that kind of message cannot be related to tires. Lift and coast is not done to prevent overheating tires, but to reduce fuel consumption or brake wear/temperature. If they need to save tires lift and coast is NOT the way to do it, it´d be reducing minimum speed on high speed and/or very long corners
Could it also be for preventing engine temperatures to go high, in a race moment in which extreme performance was not required?