2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

LM10 wrote:
10 May 2024, 00:04
Some posts are absolutely hilarious. At some point it gets hard to decide whether to laugh or to cry as a reaction. :lol:
It is hard to resist the hype anywhere in the world, I can only imagine the hype level in Italy any time there is a remote chance to fight for wins and WDC... :?

But the reality now is that Ferrari has to chase after Red Bull after TD39 and early 2023 and all the hype is completely out of place. Everyone will improve over the season, Red Bull included. McLaren pushed their upgrades and favoured one driver to get them first and still won by luck, in spite of being the quickest (by a small margin) on Sunday.

The pessimism is even more out of place, with budget cap there is not a lot a team can do to massively improve over a season. Ferrari has improved the car and their track operations and even both drivers are performing better and more consistently than either 22 or 23 as a duo. And everything keeps improving with every weekend, as we can see.

It will take time to get back at RB. I still don't see anyone being consistently outright quicker than RB until later next year, after they are close to wrapping up WDC and WCC and have put all their attention and resources on 2026 car. I will be very surprised if it happens sooner, even with ongoing power struggle and somewhat hectic environment.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1Follower
f1Follower

When can we compare the timings of the current filming day and the one on February. It will be good comparison to see if there is an improvement. The conditions are not same however the races are in the hot condition pretty much similar to the one done on 10th May

SiLo

I will still never forgive the marketing idiot who agreed to let HP have a blue logo on the car. Monochrome would have been fine!
Felipe Baby!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Car update pics - and related responses - moved to car thread.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Vanja #66

CMSMJ1 wrote:
10 May 2024, 10:20
Cheers mate!

#BlessYouLaddie

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 May 2024, 10:31
CMSMJ1 wrote:
10 May 2024, 10:20
Cheers mate!

https://media.tenor.com/uGc4wAPKr_0AAAAj/heart.gif
Always welcome :)

And a note to the others, please do report posts that are off topic/wrong thread - the mod team will always try to get on top and manage these (as long as work is quiet and we have a minute)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

We're not allowed to talk about car updates at all in this thread? I thought the car threads were more for like detailed technical analysis, while this one was more general and casual discussion?

Vanja #66

Seanspeed wrote:
10 May 2024, 13:29
We're not allowed to talk about car updates at all in this thread? I thought the car threads were more for like detailed technical analysis, while this one was more general and casual discussion?
The idea is to separate facts and reasonable guesses (in car threads) from performance speculation, lap time talk, far-fetched technical speculation etc, which belong in team threads :) There were photos of updated car on track posted here, when they should be in the car thread

#BlessYouLaddie

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 May 2024, 14:10
Seanspeed wrote:
The idea is to separate facts and reasonable guesses (in car threads) from performance speculation, lap time talk, far-fetched technical speculation etc, which belong in team threads :) There were photos of updated car on track posted here, when they should be in the car thread
Ok that's reasonable.

I guess I'll keep it here then when I say the update is somewhat underwhelming so far, given all the talk of it being some '2.0' and how 'conservative' the launch car was. Very much looks like a decent set of detail changes rather than any kind of heavy overhaul. Which might be fine, I dunno, just think there was clearly too much overhyping of this.

JPower
JPower

Seanspeed wrote:
10 May 2024, 14:51
Vanja #66 wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:
Ok that's reasonable.

I guess I'll keep it here then when I say the update is somewhat underwhelming so far, given all the talk of it being some '2.0' and how 'conservative' the launch car was. Very much looks like a decent set of detail changes rather than any kind of heavy overhaul. Which might be fine, I dunno, just think there was clearly too much overhyping of this.
For cars of this generation, new floor, wings, sidepods, cooling arrangement, etc all at once absolutely qualifies as an overhaul IMO.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Seanspeed wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:
Ok that's reasonable.

Ferrari has never done such a change with a single upgrade package or even in a year, recently. The only outlier is the 2023 season, in which they changed (half) the concept to start gathering data.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

JPower wrote:
10 May 2024, 14:57
Seanspeed wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Ok that's reasonable.

For cars of this generation, new floor, wings, sidepods, cooling arrangement, etc all at once absolutely qualifies as an overhaul IMO.
Just new rear wing tips, front wing is the same. Floor looks the same. Sidepods look very, very similar though hard to tell without better comparison shots in similar light. The actual scale of the changes just dont seem that dramatic, and nothing more than I'd expect from most any team over the first third of a season.

I guess it was the largely consensus judgement that the launch car was conservative and the '2.0/B-spec' talk that had me feeling this was gonna be a more significant overhaul. I think you'd be very hard pressed to argue this is truly some '2.0' version of the car. Definitely the same car, just optimized a bit more.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Xyz22 wrote:
10 May 2024, 15:01
Seanspeed wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Ok that's reasonable.

Ferrari has never done such a change with a single upgrade package or even in a year, recently. The only outlier is the 2023 season, in which they changed (half) the concept to start gathering data.
Yes the only outlier was literally last year. lol

I see we're already in the 'everybody knew the changes weren't gonna be that big' stage of things. :p

LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

Have we had definitive pictures? Are there any official Ferrari Pics?

We are talking with some level of certainty when there are even reports that the floor isn't the upgraded.

Moreover last race we needed to have the official list from FIA to understand the difference between Piastri and Norris, and supposedly that was a 0.4sec update.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Seanspeed wrote:
Its a complete overhaul of the sidepods and possibly the floor which we won't get a good look at from spy shots.

New inlet, reprofiled sidepods, drastic cooling outlet change implying changes in internal flow (rerouting of the sduct the most obvious one), new engine cover, extra bits on the halo.

I think you're being unnecessarily dismissive of the update on visual terms. People thought the base car looked conservative and lackluster too.
Last edited by CaribouBread on 10 May 2024, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.