2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 13:07
Stella has been saying it will need a few upgrades to pass Ferrari, so I expect us to win the championship with the next upgrade.
=D> :lol: :lol:

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 15:23
LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 13:51
MCLvamos wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 13:10
Seems like we have unlocked a decent chunk of performance in setup understanding over the last few races. If we look back to the slow speed in Bahrain we were even struggling compared to Mercedes, now we seem to be a step ahead through most range of corners.
It is incorrect to compare Bahrain with the current situation. There is increased wear on the rear tires. In Albert Park, Suzuka and Shanghai, increased load is placed on the front left tire. And the load on the rear tires is less. Last year we could see the same thing. On tracks where there is a restriction on the front end, McLaren were very strong. And vice versa, where the limit is at the rear, the chassis does not cope well.

Let's say, when it's a weekend in Montreal, maybe McLaren won't perform as brightly as we would like.
Shanghai was rear limited this weekend. Shanghai is typically front limited but that wasn't the case this time (due to weather, surface and wind)
Here the updated asphalt had more of an impact. Yes, the conditions were such that the track was relatively slightly slippery. And even two long, fast turns did not provide a high energy load. Previously, I remember Barcelona killed the front left extremely quickly, but after replacing the road surface this effect noticeably decreased.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

SilviuAgo wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 16:46
LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 14:09
BMMR61 wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 14:00
Not to downgrade Lando's excellent drive the reason for the surprising competitiveness over race distance are partly explained by a poor performance by Ferrari. They were expected to be closer to Max at this track, far from it. Some explanation can be find in the familiar stronger performance at lower temperatures. For the first time in 2024 we outpointed Ferrari (EDIT - we equalled their 22 points) and we're running away from Mercedes.

Still leading journos refer to the BIG 3 - RedBull, Ferrari, Mercedes. Gotta laugh, the laugh will be on them at the ned of the season if we end up with clearly the second fastest car. Well it's a long way there yet. Miami is another "track that doesn't suit McLaren", I'm not sure on current form how to take that!!! :lol: The rollout of upgrades should give us some clues to the rest of the season. I wonder if the team roll out the upgrades over 3 consecutive weekends as they intended last season.
The updates have been prepared for a very long time and I think this will be a one-time large package, without divisions on race weekends. Since there will be many changes in the aero package, every detail will be worked out taking into account that everything works together as a single whole. Moreover, this upgrade package is designed to improve handling and balance in slow, long corners, as well as adding downforce in slow and a little in medium-speed corners. In theory, even a small increase in downforce will give a big boost in speed, provided that the balance and handling become much better.

Moreover, I note that this is the first update that was completely developed in the new wind tunnel. In two weeks we will see how competitive the car will be. Miami has long, slow turns, so it will be a good, curious challenge. I wouldn’t like to make any predictions, but I think 3-4 tens per lap is quite realistic. I still hope that the team will be the second best team.
Do you think in Miami McLaren will have upgrade package on both cars or they will choose only one (I assume Lando) and the other car to have the old package? If would have been a normal weekend, with 3 FP's this approach I think was the correct one. And in FP2 to decide how to continue. But having a sprint race would be wise to upgrade both cars?
This is a very good question! I previously considered the pros and cons of this approach, since the updates will arrive in Miami and not in Imola, as previously thought. It will be a big plus if both cars receive a complete update. In this case, Lando can check two options for settings, let's call them A and B. Oscar, in turn, can also check two options for settings, let's call them C and D.

If the session goes smoothly, you can check four settings options. Now the racers and test driver will check the main basic settings and look for the most optimal ones. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense to bring updates to two cars. Next, compare the data and prepare for sprint qualification.

After the sprint race, you can again adjust the settings if necessary. In this regard, the team is collecting as much useful information as possible about the aero package and other mechanical parts if presented. There is only one minus, you need to have time to prepare at least 4 sets of the update package. There are two sets for each driver. One as a spare.

It makes little sense to bring updates to one car, since they already know the strengths and weaknesses of the chassis and aerodynamics well. Therefore, there is no point in directly comparing new products with respect to the basic version of the car.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Tomsky wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 17:45
Today's result is the best way to archive the first part of the season, with the MCL38 showing up at the next round in Miami with the first big update of 2024: “I think the update will help us, but I don't think it will particularly help us in Miami – said Norris about it – This is because there are so many low-speed zones there and the updates are not directed so much on that, although that is where we should earn more. However, we always welcome an update, I'm excited, the team is working hard to get us these updates“. Norris was also honored by F1 fans who voted him Driver of the Day.
https://formu1a.uno/it/norris-le-condiz ... o-gp-cina/
It's strange to hear this. Previously, Stella already said that their update is designed for slow turns and adding downforce in these very slow turns.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 18:11
organic wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 13:51

It is incorrect to compare Bahrain with the current situation. There is increased wear on the rear tires. In Albert Park, Suzuka and Shanghai, increased load is placed on the front left tire. And the load on the rear tires is less. Last year we could see the same thing. On tracks where there is a restriction on the front end, McLaren were very strong. And vice versa, where the limit is at the rear, the chassis does not cope well.

Let's say, when it's a weekend in Montreal, maybe McLaren won't perform as brightly as we would like.
Shanghai was rear limited this weekend. Shanghai is typically front limited but that wasn't the case this time (due to weather, surface and wind)
Here the updated asphalt had more of an impact. Yes, the conditions were such that the track was relatively slightly slippery. And even two long, fast turns did not provide a high energy load. Previously, I remember Barcelona killed the front left extremely quickly, but after replacing the road surface this effect noticeably decreased.
Many of the teams and in the press had been saying that it is the wider front tyres that changed the dynamic of the track since the F1 cars last came here. It has been a while.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Apr 2024, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 18:29
Tomsky wrote:
Today's result is the best way to archive the first part of the season, with the MCL38 showing up at the next round in Miami with the first big update of 2024: “I think the update will help us, but I don't think it will particularly help us in Miami – said Norris about it – This is because there are so many low-speed zones there and the updates are not directed so much on that, although that is where we should earn more. However, we always welcome an update, I'm excited, the team is working hard to get us these updates“. Norris was also honored by F1 fans who voted him Driver of the Day.
It's strange to hear this. Previously, Stella already said that their update is designed for slow turns and adding downforce in these very slow turns.
From this I infer: the update is not aimed to correct low speed issues but rather to increase downforce and drivability. Because you spend more time in low speed than high speed, the added downforce will make a bigger difference to laptime in low speed. Because you spend so little time in the higher speed corners you just can't gain as much there.

mwillems

Yeah but he specifically says it won't do much in Miami.

As LionsHeart says, Stella has said many times that it is the front that is coming and has spoken about airflow coming from the side of the car when in longer corners and at full lock.

But perhaps the Miami upgrade is part of the upgrades being released early because they are ready and there may be more soon after, or perhaps they have decided to hold back the work to rectify the airflow at the front in low load conditions.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 19:32
LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 18:29
Tomsky wrote:
From this I infer: the update is not aimed to correct low speed issues but rather to increase downforce and drivability. Because you spend more time in low speed than high speed, the added downforce will make a bigger difference to laptime in low speed. Because you spend so little time in the higher speed corners you just can't gain as much there.
Yes, I know that. But Stella directly said that the update is aimed specifically at slow turns. Namely, this is the weak side of the chassis, and this is where there were critical problems in Miami last year, which Stella spoke about a year ago.

Now the chassis has good balance in fast corners, not bad in medium-speed corners and poor in slow ones.
Therefore, Lando’s words are not very clear to me. Anyway. I won't worry too much about it just yet. The main thing is that the car goes faster.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 19:17
LionsHeart wrote:
organic wrote:

Many of the teams and in the press had been saying that it is the wider front tyres that changed the dynamic of the track since the F1 cars last came here. It has been a while.
I didn't really understand this point. This is the first time I've heard about this. On the remaining tracks from 2022, the tires are the same size. And the front or rear limit, depending on the race track, remains the same.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 19:59
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

I didn't really understand this point. This is the first time I've heard about this. On the remaining tracks from 2022, the tires are the same size. And the front or rear limit, depending on the race track, remains the same.
The teams haven't been here since 2019.
I found this on the BBC that was posted before the race, saying something similar, but I guess it must have changed a while ago.

7:55
What strategy to expect?

Andrew Benson

BBC F1 correspondent

Just as in Japan two weeks ago, this race is expected to be predominantly a two-stop strategy. Tyre wear is high, and whereas in the past China was a track where the front tyres were most under stress, the wider tyres introduced from 2017 have changed that to the rear. There will be a lot of tyre management in the race, with drivers lapping well off the theoretical maximum pace.

I'd seen in a few places before the race that it was expected to be rear limited and is no longer front limited.

-Bandit

Venturiation
Venturiation

what kind of loser mentality is this

organic

Venturiation wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 20:50
what kind of loser mentality is this
In context it makes much more sense. Just a casual quip after rosberg already asked if it "feels like a win"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mwillems wrote:
Stella has been saying it will need a few upgrades to pass Ferrari, so I expect us to win the championship with the next upgrade.
I now fully understand this. Haha

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 20:03
LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 19:59
mwillems wrote:

The teams haven't been here since 2019.
I found this on the BBC that was posted before the race, saying something similar, but I guess it must have changed a while ago.

7:55
What strategy to expect?

Andrew Benson

BBC F1 correspondent

Just as in Japan two weeks ago, this race is expected to be predominantly a two-stop strategy. Tyre wear is high, and whereas in the past China was a track where the front tyres were most under stress, the wider tyres introduced from 2017 have changed that to the rear. There will be a lot of tyre management in the race, with drivers lapping well off the theoretical maximum pace.

I'd seen in a few places before the race that it was expected to be rear limited and is no longer front limited.
Interesting. Ok, I'll take note.

You know, it reminded me of 2009 when slicks came out again. Due to the lack of grooves on the tires, and the tire size remained the same, the balance of the cars began to manifest itself more in oversteer. Those who had a lot of downforce on the rear axle did not suffer much from this. Then, already in 2010, if I remember correctly, the front tires were already made. Or did it happen in 2011 when Pirelli arrived?

Edit: Front tire dimensions

Having returned slicks to the championship, the FIA ​​decided to keep the previous dimensions of grooved tires. When it became clear that the front and rear tires were wearing unevenly, providing different levels of grip, it was too late to make adjustments. In 2009, this error seriously complicated the work of teams trying to compensate for the difference in the weight distribution of their cars.

For 2010, the size of the front tires will be reduced, the load will be distributed more evenly, but teams need to optimize the aerodynamics, taking into account more space between the tires and the nose cone.

Hirohide Hamashima, Bridgestone: “For 2010, the front tires will become narrower, which will allow for better balance and more even grip between the front and rear wheels. When the championship switched to slicks, it was decided to inherit the dimensions from grooved tires, as a result the front wheels provided better grip than the rear, but now the front tires will become narrower and the situation will change.”
Last edited by LionsHeart on 21 Apr 2024, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 21:06
mwillems wrote:
I now fully understand this. Haha
I'd love to know what the journey was in your mind :lol:

-Bandit