2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

organic wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 23:55
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 23:18
f1isgood wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 21:20

It would be near impossible to deliver such upgrades, especially like the one at Austria. That is simply because of how badly they started last year.

Given that no team has basically improved by 1s+ including winter and in season development from 23 to 24, I don't think any in season development is going to be worth individually more than a tenth or two and even 2 tenths is extremely optimistic, imo.
Considering the size of the update package, I think it will be three tenths. The car went about 5-6 tenths faster towards Austria, then another 1-2 tenths towards Silverstone, then a few more tenths towards Singapore. Only here the car went a second faster.

Stella has repeatedly reported that even a few millimeters of ground clearance give a big increase in speed. True, then a vertical swing occurs. If you can overcome this trouble, the car may become faster. And this requires redesigning the Venturi channels so that the floor is not so sensitive. It seems like the package includes a complete update of all aerodynamic surfaces, who knows, maybe even the nose cone will change.
He's saying it's not a huge update and you've extrapolated to a complete update of all aerodynamic surfaces? :lol:

We can reliably guess that the upgrade will be a new floor and perhaps SP inlet and undercut region, the areas that seem to be most sensitive in this era
I'm almost certain I saw recently Stella saying the upgrade included "all aerodynamic surfaces". I think there's a quite fundamental shift coming with the changes that were predicted even before the Bahrain tests when they said they didn't have the time and resources to get them out on the car in March. I am confident there is more than the changes you "guess" - even if I am only taking an educated guess. :lol: I'm also "guessing" there will be additions to these changes at Imola and beyond, even if we aren't hearing off a "3 stage" rollout as per last year. I'm also guessing that MWillems has got the ideas in centre frame of what they will be working on concerning the front aero.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
f1isgood wrote:

It would be near impossible to deliver such upgrades, especially like the one at Austria. That is simply because of how badly they started last year.

Given that no team has basically improved by 1s+ including winter and in season development from 23 to 24, I don't think any in season development is going to be worth individually more than a tenth or two and even 2 tenths is extremely optimistic, imo.
Considering the size of the update package, I think it will be three tenths. The car went about 5-6 tenths faster towards Austria, then another 1-2 tenths towards Silverstone, then a few more tenths towards Singapore. Only here the car went a second faster.

Stella has repeatedly reported that even a few millimeters of ground clearance give a big increase in speed. True, then a vertical swing occurs. If you can overcome this trouble, the car may become faster. And this requires redesigning the Venturi channels so that the floor is not so sensitive. It seems like the package includes a complete update of all aerodynamic surfaces, who knows, maybe even the nose cone will change.
He's saying it's not a huge update and you've extrapolated to a complete update of all aerodynamic surfaces? :lol:

We can reliably guess that the upgrade will be a new floor and perhaps SP inlet and undercut region, the areas that seem to be most sensitive in this era
Previously, they wrote repeatedly that all surfaces will be updated. These are not my words. I read this on Twitter, the source is unknown to me.

Moreover, I will add on my own. Assuming that the mcl38 was developed in the Toyota wind tunnel, and the updated McLaren wind tunnel went into operation in the summer, the team could not prepare, as you say, small updates in 8-9 months? Your words seem very impudent.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

organic wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
f1isgood wrote:

I'm expecting a new front wing as well.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

f1rules
f1rules

Honestly Stellas statements are becoming a bit more wavering. Looking forward to whatever they bring!. But they wanted to keep the trajectory of last year, that was their goal. Now the update is not as big, even its been a long time in the making. Some time ago it was mentioned it was for slow speed, now its not. Lets see if the statement about a part not being developed in a long time(fw presumeably) will actually be updated or if its other areas. So im offcourse positive, but i do get the sensation they are wavering trying to buy some time, its not as clear cut as previous statements

What are the expectations for the Miami upgrade?

Andrea Stella: These upgrades will not be as big, as the two that we had delivered last year in Austria and Singapore. But, it should be a decent step. Like it should be noticeable.

I cannot say much more than that. Because otherwise we talk about numbers. I would like to keep confidential. [...]

[This is provided] things correlate with our expectation with the windtunnel numbers for instance and with the computer simulation. Its always a big if, because even if the heat rate of this correlation has been good over the last 12 months there's always possible surprises.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

f1rules wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 09:34
Honestly Stellas statements are becoming a bit more wavering. Looking forward to whatever they bring!. But they wanted to keep the trajectory of last year, that was their goal. Now the update is not as big, even its been a long time in the making. Some time ago it was mentioned it was for slow speed, now its not. Lets see if the statement about a part not being developed in a long time(fw presumeably) will actually be updated or if its other areas. So im offcourse positive, but i do get the sensation they are wavering trying to buy some time, its not as clear cut as previous statements

What are the expectations for the Miami upgrade?

Andrea Stella: These upgrades will not be as big, as the two that we had delivered last year in Austria and Singapore. But, it should be a decent step. Like it should be noticeable.

I cannot say much more than that. Because otherwise we talk about numbers. I would like to keep confidential. [...]

[This is provided] things correlate with our expectation with the windtunnel numbers for instance and with the computer simulation. Its always a big if, because even if the heat rate of this correlation has been good over the last 12 months there's always possible surprises.
I support. Not everything is so transparent and understandable. Fortunately, on Thursday-Friday in a week and a half we will see with our own eyes.

Vanja #66

f1rules wrote:
Mentions of making big steps like last year came several months ago now. Miami upgrade is a part of Miami-Imola duo (as far as I understood) and must have been signed off 3-4 weeks from now at the latest. It's not rare that you make 95% of the step forward you want very quickly (eg some time in February), but then it takes a month to reach the final 5%. In fact, this happens more often than not :) At this point, only Mercedes can make something close to a half-a-second-step with one upgrade package, Top 3 are getting closer and closer to performance peak and this is where development gets slower and slower
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 10:07
f1rules wrote:
Mentions of making big steps like last year came several months ago now. Miami upgrade is a part of Miami-Imola duo (as far as I understood) and must have been signed off 3-4 weeks from now at the latest. It's not rare that you make 95% of the step forward you want very quickly (eg some time in February), but then it takes a month to reach the final 5%. In fact, this happens more often than not :) At this point, only Mercedes can make something close to a half-a-second-step with one upgrade package, Top 3 are getting closer and closer to performance peak and this is where development gets slower and slower
Looking at the fact that the teams let's go faster more than a second in half a year - 1 year, I think the peak of performance has not yet been reached and there are still areas in which the teams will improve both this season and the next.

the EDGE
the EDGE

In some respects, McLaren do not need to make big gains with the upgrades. What they need them to do is to widen the operating window of the car. If they are on the right path they should be targeting areas where the cars performance lacks against its rivals, whilst maintaining aspects of their performance where they are strong

That could mean zero gains at some tracks but noticeable gains at others. So far as far as I am concerned they have been able to do this. They've been able to break into the top 3, and push Merc & in some respects AM out of it, which is exactly the target we've all been wanting them to achieve for a very long time.

I would say next up is for them to remain there across the season, and challenge for 2nd best towards the end of this year. Once they achieve that, the next target has to be catching RB, I don't expect them to be able to run until they have walked, and they are now well on their way to doing that

mclaren111

the EDGE wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 10:48
In some respects, McLaren do not need to make big gains with the upgrades. What they need them to do is to widen the operating window of the car. If they are on the right path they should be targeting areas where the cars performance lacks against its rivals, whilst maintaining aspects of their performance where they are strong

That could mean zero gains at some tracks but noticeable gains at others. So far as far as I am concerned they have been able to do this. They've been able to break into the top 3, and push Merc & in some respects AM out of it, which is exactly the target we've all been wanting them to achieve for a very long time.

I would say next up is for them to remain there across the season, and challenge for 2nd best towards the end of this year. Once they achieve that, the next target has to be catching RB, I don't expect them to be able to run until they have walked, and they are now well on their way to doing that

Well said...

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I think the part of the issue is that they expected to be closer at the start of the year and thus, their expectation that the upgrades would propel them forward. With how clearly 2nd Ferrari was in races before China - I think they had to temper their expectations. McLaren is usually cautious with the upgrade talk and the positivity they had for this upgrade was quite unusual.

I think the upgrades will be good and Lando will win this year. Verstappen has to make a mistake sometime.

SilviuAgo

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 11:25
I think the part of the issue is that they expected to be closer at the start of the year and thus, their expectation that the upgrades would propel them forward. With how clearly 2nd Ferrari was in races before China - I think they had to temper their expectations. McLaren is usually cautious with the upgrade talk and the positivity they had for this upgrade was quite unusual.

I think the upgrades will be good and Lando will win this year. Verstappen has to make a mistake sometime.
Finger crossed for that! :D

Mansell89
Mansell89

I think it’s sensible to temper expectations - ultimately last year they had that step up their sleeve and none of us saw it coming. Hopefully they surprise again.

Are the new upgrades all being tested in the new wind tunnel now?

BMMR61

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 11:25

I'm not so sure they expected to be closer, they may have. What is known is that before testing Stella was making noises about running out of time to include all the aspects they wanted to incorporate in the new car and that the plans were to introduce them in a major package later in the year. You may remember we got it quite wrong last year prior to Hungary which we all expected to be a difficult track for us. It wasn't and Lando finished 2nd, how wrong we were, as we were at China! That's what is making this season pretty exciting.

I share your belief that these upgrades will be quite major and will be immediately effective, to what effect specifically I can only guess - better race pace and tyre preservation, better feedback and feel for the drivers, a little faster in qualifying.....

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

The upgrades are being downplayed....imo. Perhaps to temper expectations ahead of miami which will be tricky for us even with them.

First upgrades from new wind tunnel which had been online since last summer.

Imola we win, there I said it.

organic

Perhaps a rather special livery for Monaco?