2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Stella is remaining confident but cagey about upgrades, saying the aim is to improve tyre performance in the race.

https://pitdebrief.com/post/mclarens-f1 ... le-stella/

“This upgrade will not be as big as the tool that we delivered last year in Austria and Singapore, but it should be a decent step.

“It should be noticeable. I can’t say much more than that because otherwise, we talk about numbers that we’d like to keep confidential.

“But let’s say not as big, probably as Austria in Singapore, but noticeable if things correlate with our expectation with the wind tunnel numbers, for instance, and with the computer simulation.

“It’s always a big if because even if the hit rate of this correlation has been good over the last 12 months, there’s always possible surprises.”

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 01:17
mwillems wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 20:26
CjC wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 19:42

I remember reading that when it was hot off the press and everything Stella said it that article sounded reassuring.
Where have you heard that a front wing isn’t coming to Miami again?
https://formu1a.uno/it/norris-le-condiz ... o-gp-cina/

" I think the update will help us, but I don't think it will do so particularly in Miami – Norris said about it – This is because there are many low-speed areas there and the updates are not aimed much at that, even if that is where we should earn the most. However, we always welcome an update, I'm enthusiastic, the team is working so hard to get these updates to us ."

It was translated from Italian, so perhaps there is something missing in the translation, but based on what Norris appears to have said, the upgrade isn't aimed at low speed corners. But Mclaren do like to surprise people.
I'm not saying that they will for sure bring a new front wing in Miami but neither article you posted neither about bringing nor not bringing a new front wing or anything related to the front of the car. The articles just make reference to the upgrades not being particularly focused on low speed performance. More generally focused on performance as a whole which to me sounds like just generally producing higher downforce numbers and/or less drag.

A new wing definitely can be a part of that.

If what I say is relatively close to the truth then it would make me wonder if they are making a baseline car for the new tunnel as a comparison to the car built in the old tunnel and then after that focus might turn to fixing the issues of the old first and second iterations of the MCL38.

Obviously what I'm hypothesising is a big if.
He talks in the first article about parts coming at round six or seven and was apparently pointing at the wing. But then he was refusing to mention it while pointing at that area, so...

"We understand the root cause, but it’s taking a few weeks to deliver the projects that address that,” said Stella. “Definitely, some of these projects have to do with this area [the front] of the car [indicates the front]. It hasn’t been improved very much compared to last year, effectively.

“This [pointing roughly at the front wing] is the same as last year, so hopefully soon we will be able to deliver this new component. I don't say which component."

So he definitely does refer to the front of the car initially. Subsequently, Norris said the upgrade in Miami wouldn't do much for the slower corners. So it seems something at the front of the car was planned to be released at 6 or 7 that was at the front of the car and focussed on the slower corners.

Now accoring to Lando the Miami upgrade doesn't have anything that will specifically help with low speed, so either the parts aren't coming are they didn't deliver the low speed improvements that they wanted. Or they are being cagey or....
Not long time find out.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

CjC
CjC

Maybe they decided to change course?
Having better tyre performance at a circuit which suits the car will help to fight for a win, whereas just improving the low speed performance might win a few poles but still end up 4th- I dunno.

Saying that I’ve been reading quotes from Stella for a while now saying the upgrades will hopefully improve tyre wear.
Like you say, will soon find out!
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 03:18
Stella is remaining confident but cagey about upgrades, saying the aim is to improve tyre performance in the race.

https://pitdebrief.com/post/mclarens-f1 ... le-stella/

“This upgrade will not be as big as the tool that we delivered last year in Austria and Singapore, but it should be a decent step.

“It should be noticeable. I can’t say much more than that because otherwise, we talk about numbers that we’d like to keep confidential.

“But let’s say not as big, probably as Austria in Singapore, but noticeable if things correlate with our expectation with the wind tunnel numbers, for instance, and with the computer simulation.

“It’s always a big if because even if the hit rate of this correlation has been good over the last 12 months, there’s always possible surprises.”
To be honest, I don’t remember what kind of leap McLaren made last year in Austria, but something around 0.6 seconds, most likely. So we can’t count on such an increase in performance, since the team is now much stronger than last season. I'm looking for 3 tenths in qualifying and 4 tenths in the race. Yes, it's a lot, but that's how I want it.

The real increase will most likely be 0.2 seconds in qualifying and 0.3 seconds in the race. This is also sensitive. At the distance of a full race, it will be possible to win back 15-16 seconds in this way.

Reading the comments above, I see that the emphasis will be on less tire wear in the race. This is also interesting. So most likely the work will be done not for the sake of balance and handling to a greater extent, but simply to increase downforce. The suspension may also be redesigned.

Looking back on the whole story of what the team is preparing with updates, it seems that the team has decided to change the path. It's as if they received important information from Sanchez and Marshall and now know what direction to take to fix the real problems with the chassis. I wonder if the increase in DRS efficiency is included in the update or will come later?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 07:58
trinidefender wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 01:17
mwillems wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 20:26

https://formu1a.uno/it/norris-le-condiz ... o-gp-cina/

" I think the update will help us, but I don't think it will do so particularly in Miami – Norris said about it – This is because there are many low-speed areas there and the updates are not aimed much at that, even if that is where we should earn the most. However, we always welcome an update, I'm enthusiastic, the team is working so hard to get these updates to us ."

It was translated from Italian, so perhaps there is something missing in the translation, but based on what Norris appears to have said, the upgrade isn't aimed at low speed corners. But Mclaren do like to surprise people.
I'm not saying that they will for sure bring a new front wing in Miami but neither article you posted neither about bringing nor not bringing a new front wing or anything related to the front of the car. The articles just make reference to the upgrades not being particularly focused on low speed performance. More generally focused on performance as a whole which to me sounds like just generally producing higher downforce numbers and/or less drag.

A new wing definitely can be a part of that.

If what I say is relatively close to the truth then it would make me wonder if they are making a baseline car for the new tunnel as a comparison to the car built in the old tunnel and then after that focus might turn to fixing the issues of the old first and second iterations of the MCL38.

Obviously what I'm hypothesising is a big if.
He talks in the first article about parts coming at round six or seven and was apparently pointing at the wing. But then he was refusing to mention it while pointing at that area, so...

"We understand the root cause, but it’s taking a few weeks to deliver the projects that address that,” said Stella. “Definitely, some of these projects have to do with this area [the front] of the car [indicates the front]. It hasn’t been improved very much compared to last year, effectively.

“This [pointing roughly at the front wing] is the same as last year, so hopefully soon we will be able to deliver this new component. I don't say which component."

So he definitely does refer to the front of the car initially. Subsequently, Norris said the upgrade in Miami wouldn't do much for the slower corners. So it seems something at the front of the car was planned to be released at 6 or 7 that was at the front of the car and focussed on the slower corners.

Now accoring to Lando the Miami upgrade doesn't have anything that will specifically help with low speed, so either the parts aren't coming are they didn't deliver the low speed improvements that they wanted. Or they are being cagey or....
Not long time find out.
Yes, I also had questions in this area. Either not everything went smoothly, or the team simply doesn’t want to rush things and is keeping silent about the actual performance.

CjC
CjC

Rosberg noted in commentary over the Chinese weekend that red bull direct airflow onto the tyre to cool them, this could be what McLaren are aiming to do.
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 10:01
Maybe they decided to change course?
Having better tyre performance at a circuit which suits the car will help to fight for a win, whereas just improving the low speed performance might win a few poles but still end up 4th- I dunno.

Saying that I’ve been reading quotes from Stella for a while now saying the upgrades will hopefully improve tyre wear.
Like you say, will soon find out!
If this is really the case, then the team has received valuable information, and perhaps they are already changing plans on the fly and preparing a more competent update for the future. Hard to tell. It’s easier to wait until Thursday and see what will be delivered: front wings, floors, pontoons, engine hood, etc. We definitely need to see changes. :D

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 15:54
Rosberg noted in commentary over the Chinese weekend that red bull direct airflow onto the tyre to cool them, this could be what McLaren are aiming to do.
Curious. But today, on the contrary, I came to a different conclusion that the small air duct that McLaren has in the rear of the sidepods is needed to maintain the temperature in the rear tires. I can’t judge strictly, these are just my guesses.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

interview dated March 20, 2024, where Stella gives extensive commentary, it explicitly states that work is being done with the front wing and how the aerodynamics work in slow corners with the steering wheel turned a lot. This is what mwillems posted here. Well, if the main problem lies in the front end, then you can safely expect a new front wing and floor.

So we'll likely see an update package on Thursday. But based on Stella’s latest messages, it’s as if something went wrong, or Stella had already forgotten what he had said in March. :D

I would also like to add to my words in anticipation of updates: the front wing has not changed, it seems, since Singapore last year, but at the same time, the input channels in the floor (confuser), the edge of the floor, the diffuser, the geometry of the sidepods, as well as the geometry of the front suspension arms, and the geometry of the intake channels sidepods have been changed this year.

organic

Can't wait to see the upgrades. Hopefully they bring what is expected

mwillems

I think the conclusion is no one knows what to expect 🤣

dren

Expect upgrades.
Honda!

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

dren wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 20:33
Expect upgrades.
The main thing is that it is not a plastic bag.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 19:06
I think the conclusion is no one knows what to expect 🤣
Agree. Because in Miami the team will bring updated Pirelli tires with improved grip properties at the front. :D

mwillems

Expect the unexpected.