2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
04 May 2024, 23:45
AR3-GP wrote:
04 May 2024, 23:43
mwillems wrote:
04 May 2024, 23:39

I barely saw any laps, they didn't show much Mclaren, frustratingly.
You have to get F1TV. It's the only way.
In the UK? How is that?
Oh I see. That's terrible.

mwillems

I think that the race tyres will favour us, and I think we are set up to manage a heavy car and to protect the tyres.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Emag
Emag

They got it wrong both days unfortunately. Yesterday, car was great but they missed the mark with the softs. Today, they seem to have gone for a conservative setup in terms of downforce. Maybe they're scared of deg tomorrow.

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
04 May 2024, 23:35
made some serious changes by the looks of this... shame

Most of the fastest cars had the lower top speed.

7 of the top ten within 2kph of Mclaren. More DF seems common amongst the top cars.

The slow cars all had big speed!

mwillems

Looking at the data I will repeat what I said earlier, we are still inefficient in DRS. We were equal or faster than Sainz on much of the straights until DRS is open. It's a headline number but it isn't indicative of our competitiveness, and I think we are running more wing than Ferrari. I am not scared for tomorrow, but I do think overtaking will be tricky still, especially at Miami.

Darth-Piekus

I dont expect something more in the race. Most of the times the speed of qualifying shows the same picture in the race with a few exceptions.

Emag
Emag

This has been a weird weekend. Too little practice for this many parts, they stumbled over their own feet trying to get on top of temp problems while learning from the package.

Imola will be far more important. If Ferrari and RedBull put a big gap ahead after their upgrades, it will set the tone for the next 6-7 races until more upgrades come.

I am not particularly hopeful for anything more tbh. This season looks like a write-off. RedBull/Max will likely walk away with it again but Ferrari is much closer this time.

Would be nice to have a McLaren win at some point, but on pace that's looking unlikely (at the moment).

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 May 2024, 00:06
I dont expect something more in the race. Most of the times the speed of qualifying shows the same picture in the race with a few exceptions.
Sure. Just don't base on pretty charts that don't carry meaning. These top speed charts mean little. We lost barely any time to Sainz on the straights. Less than a tenth.

The rear looks very good on the Mclaren, the exits are better than the Ferrari. We lose time in 5,6 & 7, and in 11-15, but the exits from 8 and 16 are fantastic.

Overall, apart from turn 1, we are just a bit slower in the slowest corners.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
04 May 2024, 23:46
CjC wrote:
04 May 2024, 23:28
Proper fluffed up the weekend.
Sorry I’m so ‘demanding’.
Well, sh*t happens bro. Go be a Ferrari fan since you hold them to such high regard. I am sure you would have enjoyed 2019 a lot, then 2020, then 2021, then 2022, then 2023 ...
Been a McLaren fan for 21 years bro. I ain’t changing now.
I don’t get what your problem is?
I don’t appreciate your assumption that I’m demanding a pole today nor your suggestion that I change alliance to Ferrari.
The fact is Mclaren have poorly executed the weekend so far and I’m just voicing my opinion, don’t like it- don’t reply to me surely? Hell even block me for all I care.

This weekend could may well be the only race of the season where Lando was the genuine fastest package and he didn’t get sprint pole, he started P9, doesn’t make it to the exit of T1 in the sprint, changes his set up which he now regrets. Facts I’m sure you are aware of. Sorry if I’m annoying you up there on your perch
Just a fan's point of view

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Lando saying he was more comfortable yesterday, and he thinks they should've been higher up.

Oscar said he was comfortable with the car, so maybe they made the changes based on his sprint race.

Hopefully this setup works better for the race, but deg shouldn't be such an issue either way, so I'm not sure it's worth it to go with so much downforce. I think Max did cause he was complaining about grip even during the sprint race. We'll see.

Emag
Emag

Top cars were all slower than last year though, so track conditions were pretty poor this time around. Global warming doing its thing in F1 as well

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
05 May 2024, 00:20
Emag wrote:
04 May 2024, 23:46
CjC wrote:
04 May 2024, 23:28
Proper fluffed up the weekend.
Sorry I’m so ‘demanding’.
Well, sh*t happens bro. Go be a Ferrari fan since you hold them to such high regard. I am sure you would have enjoyed 2019 a lot, then 2020, then 2021, then 2022, then 2023 ...
Been a McLaren fan for 21 years bro. I ain’t changing now.
I don’t get what your problem is?
I don’t appreciate your assumption that I’m demanding a pole today nor your suggestion that I change alliance to Ferrari.
The fact is Mclaren have poorly executed the weekend so far and I’m just voicing my opinion, don’t like it- don’t reply to me surely? Hell even block me for all I care.

This weekend could may well be the only race of the season where Lando was the genuine fastest package and he didn’t get sprint pole, he started P9, doesn’t make it to the exit of T1 in the sprint, changes his set up which he now regrets. Facts I’m sure you are aware of. Sorry if I’m annoying you up there on your perch
It wasn't the fastest package though, was it? If they had the fastest package, it wouldn't have cooked the softs yesterday, and surely they would have been on pole today having an extra day of data.

They missjudged the setup on a sprint weekend where they also brought a raft of parts so time was precious to gather data on the package for correlation as well. Not a catastrophic mistake by any means since they likely based it off on data they had from last year, which coincidentally turned out to be a bad baseline to follow since track condition was much better last year.

And mentioning the unfortunate incident for Lando as it is somehow their fault they get taken out is bizarre.

What really icks me is the fact that you're acting as if they somehow had the fastest car by a mile and did not convert it into an easy pole and win. And that couldn't be further away from the truth.

Car started the season with significant weaknesses in low speed corners and long medium-speed corners. This track has both, on top of high temps which has been troubling them for a while.

By any account, they shouldn't have been anywhere near Ferrari and RedBull on this track. The upgrade put them closer on an unfavorable track, where it's not unreasonable to think they would have ended up with gaps similar to Bahrain without.

This was a midfield team until Austria last year. Not even a full year has passed since then. Aston Martin proved it that it's not so easy to stay at this level, yet McLaren keeps improving.

Instead of comparing them to Ferrari and RedBull and how they have been "schooled" by them, try to look into the bigger picture and understand things are not as simple as you want them to be :)

Darth-Piekus

I will have to agree with CJC here. Those who grew up with the good Mclaren simply feel livid seeing a team underperforming on their best chance. As Emag said above Miami was their best chance and if they couldnt win with a B Spec car what do they expect to do when both Ferrari and Red Bull bring their upgrades at Imola? The difference between Zak Brown and Ron Dennis is that Ron Dennis is a racer not a manager and I clearly dont see racing winning attitude on the team. Not when they are screwing fundamental things like tyre temperature, dismissing the best aerodynamisist of the last 40 years, not trying to pursue a works status, screwing pit stops,not having the upgrades in time from the first race, forced to chase each time and promising each time that we are getting there for more than a decade now. I had high hopes from Q1 and Q2 yesterday but all I feel now is the frustration I had in Bahrain last year and I dont hear Hakinnen anymore telling about a Red Bull challenger.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Whilst I agree with some of the points mentioned from both sides on this, I think we should reserve judgement on the true performance of the new package until tomorrow and Imola. But yes, I agree that if it does shake out that we are still 3rd fastest and a way back still, that will be quite a disappointment

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 May 2024, 00:37
I will have to agree with CJC here. Those who grew up with the good Mclaren simply feel livid seeing a team underperforming on their best chance. As Emag said above Miami was their best chance and if they couldnt win with a B Spec car what do they expect to do when both Ferrari and Red Bull bring their upgrades at Imola? The difference between Zak Brown and Ron Dennis is that Ron Dennis is a racer not a manager and I clearly dont see racing winning attitude on the team. Not when they are screwing fundamental things like tyre temperature, dismissing the best aerodynamisist of the last 40 years, not trying to pursue a works status, screwing pit stops,not having the upgrades in time from the first race, forced to chase each time and promising each time that we are getting there for more than a decade now. I had high hopes from Q1 and Q2 yesterday but all I feel now is the frustration I had in Bahrain last year and I dont hear Hakinnen anymore telling about a Red Bull challenger.
Ron Dennis is the main reason McLaren fell off for the good part of the last decade ...
The moment Mercedes split from them, he should have started what Zak started in 2018 in terms of investments. But Ron and his "racing attitude" was busy pointing fingers internally for the lack of performance instead of actually doing something about it. It's because of Ron Dennis that McLaren fell into midfield levels of both operations and resources. Of course it will take a long time to repair the damage.

You're again taking things for face value with Newey and have been making the same comments over and over again. Zak is relatively close with Adrian and obviously Adrian has made it pretty clear in private with him that he is not interested in joining McLaren at this stage of his career. For PR reasons, Zak will obviously say that he is happy with the technical team they have, and that they don't need Adrian Newey. It's also a boost of morale for the team working back at the factory so it's a no-brainer statement.

"Works" status can't happen because there are no good options available. Do you want another rushed McHonda period? There is no engine manufacturer that has the resources or the expertise in such complicated Power Units to deliver immediately in 2026. Mercedes is their best bet, and they're doing just fine as their customer team.

It's interesting you point out the false promises from last decade. Who made those false promises? Wasn't the guy you praised for being a racer? Zak made the decision to ditch Honda because 2017 was absolutely horrid in both performance and reliability. The moment they get a slap back into reality in 2018 (which made it obvious McLaren was no longer the team they used to be), he started working on the background to try and bring it back to how it used to be.

Even a behemoth like Ferrari couldn't get themselves out of a slump within 2 years from 2020-2021 when they got a slap by the FIA for PU tricks of questionable legality. McLaren obviously needs more, since they actually had to rebuild things.

I am all from demanding good results from McLaren. I am very critical of them myself. But to do it in such blind manner really stirs the pot for me. It's so easy to just ignore the big picture. How difficult it is to make things work in this sport. Mercedes can't figure out sh*t in this regulation set for the third year running. Ferrari was lost for a long time after TD39 and it took them a long time (plus internal restructuring) to get to where they are right now.

The upgrade wasn't even a remedy to their major weaknesses, a fact said multiple times by both Andrea and Lando, yet people apparently thought it would be enough to overcome a 0.6s+ deficit on an unfavorable track.

Snap out of it. Yesterday was good, and with better temperature management and a higher starting position, Lando might have been in the mix with Max and Charles. But that's about it. There was no lost victory.