2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion
71
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:37 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:21 pm
Upgrades and still getting out-qualified by dollar store cars like Haas and RB.
Correct me if Im wrong but I believe these upgrades were more to address their narrow working window and issues with the tires overheating when the track is hot and not strictly a performance upgrade, before quali Toto said he expected them 6th annd 7th and that they are still the fourth fastest team, the car still needs more downforce, he was bang on. Allison also talked about these upgrades and said theyre from all the way back when they just for an idea of the W15 at launch, said that we will see true development progress they've made in the next few races. Motorsport said that they have a full package coming for Canada but are trying to get it to next race, Monaco. Allison also mentioned to Ted that the big upgrade package they have coming before the summer break will put them in contention for not only podiums but potentially race wins
Last edited by Luscion on Sat May 18, 2024 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
556
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Well, that is a comfort I guess. Still a bitter taste watching them struggle to break top 5.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

DGP123
DGP123
0
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:31 pm

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Luscion wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:34 pm
Allison also mentioned to Ted that the big upgrade package they have coming before the summer break will put them in contention for not only podiums but potentially race wins
But we all know that won’t happen

Luscion
Luscion
71
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:37 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

DGP123 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 pm
Luscion wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:34 pm
Allison also mentioned to Ted that the big upgrade package they have coming before the summer break will put them in contention for not only podiums but potentially race wins
But we all know that won’t happen
It's not like Allison to make such bold statements, hes usually very pragmatic, on top of that Mercs whole thing this season has been them being quiet and not over promising like they did in 2022, I guess we''ll see

j_ste
j_ste
1
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:40 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Luscion wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 5:07 pm
DGP123 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 pm
Luscion wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:34 pm
Allison also mentioned to Ted that the big upgrade package they have coming before the summer break will put them in contention for not only podiums but potentially race wins
But we all know that won’t happen
It's not like Allison to make such bold statements, hes usually very pragmatic, on top of that Mercs whole thing this season has been them being quiet and not over promising like they did in 2022, I guess we''ll see
Do you not remember what he said in testing?

venkyhere
venkyhere
3
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:17 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:21 pm
Upgrades and still getting out-qualified by dollar store cars like Haas and RB.
Shows that it isn't about money, it's about the 'smarts'.
It is exactly the attitude of the team that has percolated to the fans.
Now slowly both are coming out of the 2 yr long denial phase.
A humbling lesson this new rules era has been.

Luscion
Luscion
71
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:37 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Shovlin said merc didnt have new softs by q3, is that true? i swore they did their last laps on new tires

Neither driver had two new sets of the Soft tyre left by Q3. This may have cost each a place on tomorrow's grid when you look at how close the gaps are to the cars ahead. Ultimately though, P6 and P8 are about where our current pace is. It is encouraging that the car’s balance around the lap has been improved this weekend.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist
0
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:18 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Luscion wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:13 pm
Shovlin said merc didnt have new softs by q3, is that true? i swore they did their last laps on new tires

Neither driver had two new sets of the Soft tyre left by Q3. This may have cost each a place on tomorrow's grid when you look at how close the gaps are to the cars ahead. Ultimately though, P6 and P8 are about where our current pace is. It is encouraging that the car’s balance around the lap has been improved this weekend.
He said 2 sets. So they both had 1 new tire run. Its better to have 2.

Luscion
Luscion
71
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:37 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Hammerfist wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm
Luscion wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:13 pm
Shovlin said merc didnt have new softs by q3, is that true? i swore they did their last laps on new tires

Neither driver had two new sets of the Soft tyre left by Q3. This may have cost each a place on tomorrow's grid when you look at how close the gaps are to the cars ahead. Ultimately though, P6 and P8 are about where our current pace is. It is encouraging that the car’s balance around the lap has been improved this weekend.
He said 2 sets. So they both had 1 new tire run. Its better to have 2.
Ah, silly me i completely missed that part

User avatar
ringo
230
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Lewis though in 8th is really far off from George. I was expecting a few hundreths or so.
3 tenths is it? He clearly isn't comfortable.
Maybe getting fearful of the edge which is natural with age. He can't send it like a young gun.
Alonso having a shambles of a weekend on this rollercoaster of a circuit. If it were Lewis making such a hot mess, he would be asked to take the year off. Haha.
But yes, to my point, age is really a factor here and Lewis could be going to ferrari to complement Charles. I don't expect him to be a qualy specialist there. Maybe a better race pace and positive enegry.
Anyhow the W15 looks a little better. Not as out of shape as W14 this time last year. The competition is just way stiffer this year. Miami and China were probably the most drastic the car has seemed in qualy.
For Sure!!

Luscion
Luscion
71
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:37 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

ringo wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:46 pm
Lewis though in 8th is really far off from George. I was expecting a few hundreths or so.
3 tenths is it? He clearly isn't comfortable.
Maybe getting fearful of the edge which is natural with age. He can't send it like a young gun.
Alonso having a shambles of a weekend on this rollercoaster of a circuit. If it were Lewis making such a hot mess, he would be asked to take the year off. Haha.
But yes, to my point, age is really a factor here and Lewis could be going to ferrari to complement Charles. I don't expect him to be a qualy specialist there. Maybe a better race pace and positive enegry.
Anyhow the W15 looks a little better. Not as out of shape as W14 this time last year. The competition is just way stiffer this year. Miami and China were probably the most drastic the car has seemed in qualy.
he said he made small changes today and it affected the car, felt like a lack of rear end. the man just cant leave a good setup alone


j_ste
j_ste
1
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:40 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

ringo wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:46 pm
Lewis though in 8th is really far off from George. I was expecting a few hundreths or so.
3 tenths is it? He clearly isn't comfortable.
Maybe getting fearful of the edge which is natural with age. He can't send it like a young gun.
Alonso having a shambles of a weekend on this rollercoaster of a circuit. If it were Lewis making such a hot mess, he would be asked to take the year off. Haha.
But yes, to my point, age is really a factor here and Lewis could be going to ferrari to complement Charles. I don't expect him to be a qualy specialist there. Maybe a better race pace and positive enegry.
Anyhow the W15 looks a little better. Not as out of shape as W14 this time last year. The competition is just way stiffer this year. Miami and China were probably the most drastic the car has seemed in qualy.
I genuinely think it is that. At turn 2-turn 3...the minimum speed difference between them was large.

At this stage of his career, if he doesnt feel the car underneath him. He is unlikely to fling it. And unfortunately, they still struggle for rear grip/DF.
As long as they get good starts tomorrow, they should be able to settle in for good point scores. But with three teams clearly ahead...it isnt much fun

cplchanb
cplchanb
11
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Luscion wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:49 pm

he said he made small changes today and it affected the car, felt like a lack of rear end. the man just cant leave a good setup alone
its more like his race engineers back at base are inept at figuring out the car overnight unlike maxs engineers. if only they were as good as them ham would be in a much better place.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist
0
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:18 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

j_ste wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 7:39 pm
ringo wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:46 pm
Lewis though in 8th is really far off from George. I was expecting a few hundreths or so.
3 tenths is it? He clearly isn't comfortable.
Maybe getting fearful of the edge which is natural with age. He can't send it like a young gun.
Alonso having a shambles of a weekend on this rollercoaster of a circuit. If it were Lewis making such a hot mess, he would be asked to take the year off. Haha.
But yes, to my point, age is really a factor here and Lewis could be going to ferrari to complement Charles. I don't expect him to be a qualy specialist there. Maybe a better race pace and positive enegry.
Anyhow the W15 looks a little better. Not as out of shape as W14 this time last year. The competition is just way stiffer this year. Miami and China were probably the most drastic the car has seemed in qualy.
I genuinely think it is that. At turn 2-turn 3...the minimum speed difference between them was large.

At this stage of his career, if he doesnt feel the car underneath him. He is unlikely to fling it. And unfortunately, they still struggle for rear grip/DF.
As long as they get good starts tomorrow, they should be able to settle in for good point scores. But with three teams clearly ahead...it isnt much fun
P7 and P8 is where they should finish. Anything better than that would be a great result sadly.

User avatar
SKYnRacing24
0
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:10 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

j_ste wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 7:39 pm
ringo wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:46 pm
Lewis though in 8th is really far off from George. I was expecting a few hundreths or so.
3 tenths is it? He clearly isn't comfortable.
Maybe getting fearful of the edge which is natural with age. He can't send it like a young gun.
Alonso having a shambles of a weekend on this rollercoaster of a circuit. If it were Lewis making such a hot mess, he would be asked to take the year off. Haha.
But yes, to my point, age is really a factor here and Lewis could be going to ferrari to complement Charles. I don't expect him to be a qualy specialist there. Maybe a better race pace and positive enegry.
Anyhow the W15 looks a little better. Not as out of shape as W14 this time last year. The competition is just way stiffer this year. Miami and China were probably the most drastic the car has seemed in qualy.
I genuinely think it is that. At turn 2-turn 3...the minimum speed difference between them was large.

At this stage of his career, if he doesnt feel the car underneath him. He is unlikely to fling it. And unfortunately, they still struggle for rear grip/DF.
As long as they get good starts tomorrow, they should be able to settle in for good point scores. But with three teams clearly ahead...it isnt much fun
Its actually quite worrying and some Hamilton fans are becoming delusional about his his one lap pace deteriorating. This has been happening since the back end of last year. Yes he might not be comfortable with how the cars characteristics suits him but i can't imagine its doing him good mentally. When those negative thoughts keep going he will start to question himself. The fact he's getting consistently outperformed by george and next year he will be up against one of the fastest in modern F1 is a cause of concern. Usually if you start behind your team mate you finish behind your team mate in these regs.

These setups issues or whatever hes doing will not fly in Ferrari/Tifosi. The constant explanations, not gelling with the car etc Lewis to me is in no mans land and thats regardless if he has his moments here and there in races.

You can't help but feel George just digs deeper in qualifying and Lewis has no chance regardless of conditions, being on the faster tyres etc 6-1 and you lot aren't even phased by he's struggles, the cope ive seen is " he will be better in ferrari " lol u wot m8
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”