2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
peewon

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

I think the only way RB go for him is if Verstappen leaves. I think Horner rates Alonso but he wouldn't upset the apple cart that much. If Max is staying, they would get a safe no. 2 like Albon or Sainz or even keep Checo. I think Horner wants Marko out and while thats definitely a possibility, I feel like RB situation could play out over the whole year or even longer. May not even ha

What a tough situation for Alonso. I feel like hes going to run out of time and have to take the safe option and sign with AM. Of course hes cursed in these situations so probably end up making the worse decision.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

peewon wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 06:49
I think the only way RB go for him is if Verstappen leaves. I think Horner rates Alonso but he wouldn't upset the apple cart that much. If Max is staying, they would get a safe no. 2 like Albon or Sainz or even keep Checo. I think Horner wants Marko out and while thats definitely a possibility, I feel like RB situation could play out over the whole year or even longer. May not even ha

What a tough situation for Alonso. I feel like hes going to run out of time and have to take the safe option and sign with AM. Of course hes cursed in these situations so probably end up making the worse decision.
I think Alonso not really want to leave and maybe Alonso said to Aston that we only chance is Newey so Aston just made an offer for Newey. If Newey say yes,then I can't imagine if he will say yes even for Redbull ! The other strong factor for Aston,that soon coming Honda and I'm pretty sure Honda want also Newey on their side.

peewon

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 12:52
peewon wrote:

I think Alonso not really want to leave and maybe Alonso said to Aston that we only chance is Newey so Aston just made an offer for Newey. If Newey say yes,then I can't imagine if he will say yes even for Redbull ! The other strong factor for Aston,that soon coming Honda and I'm pretty sure Honda want also Newey on their side.
If Alonso knew that Newey is coming, then he wouldnt want to leave. But nobody knows how or what Newey thinks. I think Alonso just wants to chance to win, no matter what team it is.

makecry
makecry

Newey's gardening leave will be long. Very long. Long enough for Fernando to never benefit from it.

This whole Newey coming to Aston, making any tangible difference to a car would not be really perceived on track until late 2026. I don't see Fernando driving for that long unless he is winning regularly and that's just a pipe dream at this point.

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
Of course hes cursed in these situations so probably end up making the worse decision.
It wasn't the case last time. Personally I trust Briatore whichever team he chooses, hopefully Aston.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

makecry wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 14:56
Newey's gardening leave will be long. Very long. Long enough for Fernando to never benefit from it.

This whole Newey coming to Aston, making any tangible difference to a car would not be really perceived on track until late 2026. I don't see Fernando driving for that long unless he is winning regularly and that's just a pipe dream at this point.
I don't think Alonso racing just to be world champion again! At his age he just still love to drive these cars and a another title just would be a gift.

KimiRai
KimiRai

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 19:19
I don't think Alonso racing just to be world champion again! At his age he just still love to drive these cars and a another title just would be a gift.
You'd be surprised :wink:

ringo

Alonso wants to be WDC again, that's what drives him each day.
As for the team, I think they are doing well enough for him to stay. The car is better than mercedes right now. This based off what stroll can extract from it. Russel was lucky not to be outqualified by both AM in Australia. I did not get to watch the full race, but for Alonso to be ahead of Russel down to the final lap, shows the car is 4th best behind Mclaren.
Given Mclaren's strong finish last year, Aston are doing well not to fall back like Merc did.
The team has promise. I was really expecting them to be battling to get into Q3 this year after the dream start to 2023 faded.
Aston Martin is a serious team, and it begs to wonder how well they would be doing with a better driver than Stroll.
Alonso's performance is a mystery until he gets a better teammate. For all we know he could be underperforming in that car.
For Sure!!

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 17:22
peewon wrote:
Of course hes cursed in these situations so probably end up making the worse decision.
It wasn't the case last time. Personally I trust Briatore whichever team he chooses, hopefully Aston.
Alpines history with investment is well documented. Their managerial shortcomings were also obvious to see. The rumors around Rossi were not great almost immediately. Handling of Budkowski and Prost convinced me this is a sinking ship, even from the outside so Im sure it was to Alonso.The fact that AM were investing heavily was also no secret. So there was no down side to that move and was fairly obvious in retrospect. The only concern I had was how Stroll's ego would handle his son getting spanked every other weekend and maybe their timeline is too slow for Alonso.

In the end Rossi's contract shenanigans made the choice easy for Fernando so I cant give him too much credit for making that decision. But in terms of his ultimate goal, its still unsure if AM can reach that level. In terms of whats most likely, I dont think he'll go to RB because I dont think Max will leave. I dont think Newey will work for Stroll based on his past but who knows. Im not sure the current technical side of AM can beat RB or even Mclaren.

You also have to remember what most people dont realize is how much influence certain 'power brokers' have in the sport in terms of shaping such moves and getting the right guys in certain positions to succeed. Its a commercial business after all. Look at Ricciardo's 'comeback'. Do you think that was on merit? Having Alonso in a winning car would piss off the biggest fan base in the sport and it happens to coincide with the most lucrative market that Liberty media is trying to maximize.

diffuser

makecry wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 14:56

Not to mention that he's 65.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 00:51
KimiRai wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 17:22
peewon wrote:
Alpines history with investment is well documented. Their managerial shortcomings were also obvious to see. The rumors around Rossi were not great almost immediately. Handling of Budkowski and Prost convinced me this is a sinking ship, even from the outside so Im sure it was to Alonso.The fact that AM were investing heavily was also no secret. So there was no down side to that move and was fairly obvious in retrospect. The only concern I had was how Stroll's ego would handle his son getting spanked every other weekend and maybe their timeline is too slow for Alonso.

In the end Rossi's contract shenanigans made the choice easy for Fernando so I cant give him too much credit for making that decision. But in terms of his ultimate goal, its still unsure if AM can reach that level. In terms of whats most likely, I dont think he'll go to RB because I dont think Max will leave. I dont think Newey will work for Stroll based on his past but who knows. Im not sure the current technical side of AM can beat RB or even Mclaren.

You also have to remember what most people dont realize is how much influence certain 'power brokers' have in the sport in terms of shaping such moves and getting the right guys in certain positions to succeed. Its a commercial business after all. Look at Ricciardo's 'comeback'. Do you think that was on merit? Having Alonso in a winning car would piss off the biggest fan base in the sport and it happens to coincide with the most lucrative market that Liberty media is trying to maximize.
Don't buy that.

Ricciardo's back cause he's a likeable character and has a large following. If he still has the talent, which is beginning to look exceedingly unlikely, he'll find himself at the sharp edge of the grid. Alonso has a large following as well. Horner wanted him before Perez was an option. Then though he could make it work with Perez after that drive he had from the back of tge pack at Bahrain. The only thing preventing Alonso from going to another top 5 team is his age. If you're looking for a long term solution, he's probably not your guy. Then again Alonso said he'd stay at Aston if he decides to keep driving. So I'm not sure why we keep exploring this thing he's said no to.

Tomsky
Tomsky

ringo wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 21:18
I did not get to watch the full race, but for Alonso to be ahead of Russel down to the final lap, shows the car is 4th best behind Mclaren.
Alonso was ahead of Russell at the expense of VSС

NAPI10
NAPI10

Wet Track & Cold Temp at Suzuka should suit AMR24 if it continues to generate heat to the tires.

xReVo
xReVo

NAPI10 wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 17:26
Wet Track & Cold Temp at Suzuka should suit AMR24 if it continues to generate heat to the tires.
he has problems warming up the tires due to the difficulties of the front. It's a frontally limited and low temperature track, it doesn't suit Aston at all

NAPI10
NAPI10

xReVo wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 18:59
NAPI10 wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 17:26
he has problems warming up the tires due to the difficulties of the front. It's a frontally limited and low temperature track, it doesn't suit Aston at all
That was not the case in Bahrain & Jeddah. In fact, Alonso attributed to the car's characteristic to warm tires quickly to help one lap performance.
Has New front wing introduced at Melbourne changed the car behavior?