2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Correlation is good according to McCullough, so far new parts have brought what they expected. Also denies that issues come from the rear suspension.

https://formu1a.uno/it/aston-martin-e-c ... -mercedes/

SSJ4
SSJ4

So a repeat of last year when they had differing opinions. That sounds great….

KimiRai
KimiRai

SSJ4 wrote:
13 May 2024, 11:47
What do you mean?

SSJ4
SSJ4

KimiRai wrote:
13 May 2024, 15:34
SSJ4 wrote:
What do you mean?
Just sounds familiar. Dan fallows wasn’t best pleased with the rear suspension from Mercedes. Then Tom says something different

Sounds Similar to last year when trackside and factory engineers had differing opinions with the cars development

KimiRai
KimiRai

SSJ4 wrote:
13 May 2024, 15:50
KimiRai wrote:
SSJ4 wrote:
What do you mean?
Just sounds familiar. Dan fallows wasn’t best pleased with the rear suspension from Mercedes. Then Tom says something different

Sounds Similar to last year when trackside and factory engineers had differing opinions with the cars development
Well they also said they were content with Mercs engine publicly while negotiating with Honda. Truth is I don't really know, I just share what I find.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
13 May 2024, 17:47
SSJ4 wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

What do you mean?

Well they also said they were content with Mercs engine publicly while negotiating with Honda. Truth is I don't really know, I just share what I find.
Having a 'works' or exclusive engine partnership has many benefits. For one, they can design the car in sync with the PU rather than designing around a given PU. Choosing to go that route doesn't mean they weren't happy with the Merc engine. McLaren just won with it.

-wkst-
-wkst-

peewon wrote:
13 May 2024, 18:15
KimiRai wrote:
SSJ4 wrote:

McLaren just won with it.
But will struggle again in my opinion comes 2026 as a customer, like 2022.

SSJ4
SSJ4

From Mercedes car and hardware thread

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... imola.html

TLDR of the upgrades for Imola - Mercedes identified problems with the W15's rear suspension before it was even driven. They noticed inconsistencies during testing on the dyno and during the first track test in Bahrain.

To resolve this, Mercedes plans to modify some internal components of the push-rod and introduce a new beam-wing specification and rear wing to improve stability and temperature control.

Based on the information gathered, the additional improvements should largely solve the tire heating headache.

Does that mean we will be getting the altered rear suspension or is that just a personal choice for Mercedes alone?

Luscion
Luscion

SSJ4 wrote:
13 May 2024, 21:25
From Mercedes car and hardware thread

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... imola.html

TLDR of the upgrades for Imola - Mercedes identified problems with the W15's rear suspension before it was even driven. They noticed inconsistencies during testing on the dyno and during the first track test in Bahrain.

To resolve this, Mercedes plans to modify some internal components of the push-rod and introduce a new beam-wing specification and rear wing to improve stability and temperature control.

Based on the information gathered, the additional improvements should largely solve the tire heating headache.

Does that mean we will be getting the altered rear suspension or is that just a personal choice for Mercedes alone?
Based on what the article says its a Merc specific issue, AM apparently doesnt have these problems

xReVo
xReVo

As a customer, McLaren does better than Mercedes, which means that making your own engine in synergy with the car is not the same as winning as many think. Sometimes it's even worse. Having said that, it really bothers me to think that the second part of last year was literally thrown away to favor this year and the results are even worse. Nobody it will take away this disappointment inside me

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
SSJ4 wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

What do you mean?

You know it could be both right? DAN could not have been pleased with the rear suspension for many reasons (doesn't like like where the adjustments are, doesn't like the length of something, forced him to make a minor redesign of a part to get it to fit properly).

diffuser

[url]https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ngung/[url]

What role does the Mercedes rear axle play?
At the Party Grand Prix in Miami, Aston Martin fought his tire misery with the setup. In the long run, this is not a solution because you always have to sacrifice discipline with it. According to chief engineer Tom McCullough, the solution is upgrades. Aston Martin is looking for more downforce in the stern. Most of the time it is the rear tires that get too hot and then lose grip.

Since Mercedes is struggling with similar problems, it is reasonable to suspect that the new rear axle also plays a role. It is identical in both cars. The Mercedes was also a tire spreader and it is no longer now. Aerodynamics and chassis are obviously not in balance. The downforce is too dependent on the free time of the ground. Since you are already moving close to the limit with the contact pressure generated by the underbody, classic ways are now being sought to increase the downforce. Red Bull is a role model.

The construction of the rear tires may also have to do with it. Pirelli changed it to GP England 2023. After that, there were already tendencies towards greater tire wear in last year's car, the engineers report. Especially with high weight with a lot of fuel in the tank. The course of the previous races supports this thesis. Aston Martin is always significantly heavier in the first half of the race than in the second.

The hope is Imola. Then Aston Martin wants to ignite the second major upgrade to Suzuka. The competition from McLaren, Mercedes and Toro Rosso was already presented in Miami. Aston Martin only had a new rear wing with him, which was not used in the end.

krich
krich

Can we see an overbite on the amr24?. Packaging is great on the car as we could see on some past pics

PinkFloydPulse

xReVo wrote:
13 May 2024, 21:49
As a customer, McLaren does better than Mercedes, which means that making your own engine in synergy with the car is not the same as winning as many think. Sometimes it's even worse. Having said that, it really bothers me to think that the second part of last year was literally thrown away to favor this year and the results are even worse. Nobody it will take away this disappointment inside me
OH MY GOD stop it all ready...
Team Fernando!

diffuser

xReVo wrote:
13 May 2024, 21:49
The advanages, of being a works team, in the 11th year of these PU regs have been diminished.There are rules governing engine maps, the layout is well established, the fuel used can be share, etc. In 2026, when in season development will be cranked back up, that advantage will return. Non works teams will not have input on physical attributes or layout of the PU. Nor will they have the lead time the works team will have of the direction of the PU.