Williams FW46

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Farnborough
Farnborough

Re: Williams FW46

Cs98 wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 14:08
tomazy wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 13:46
Rear pull rod suspension on merc gearbox??
Maybe they elected not to take the new gearbox?
Looks like a render image, Vowles stated they didn't want to "jump" their supplier, Mercedes, in publishing the rear suspension and gearbox detail.

Deferred to MB in other words.

By all account it'll be the full Merc package on here when clear view is available of the real car.

Cs98
Cs98

Farnborough wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 14:16
Cs98 wrote:
tomazy wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 13:46
Rear pull rod suspension on merc gearbox??
Looks like a render image, Vowles stated they didn't want to "jump" their supplier, Mercedes, in publishing the rear suspension and gearbox detail.

By all account it'll be the full Merc package on here when clear view is available of the real car.
Doesn't look like a render to me. Looks like they kept last years layout. We'll see.

Holm86

Cs98 wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 14:18
Farnborough wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

Doesn't look like a render to me. Looks like they kept last years layout. We'll see.
Definitely not a render, and it looks like the W14 rear suspension not the W15.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Hasn't williams historically built their own gearbox despite being a merc customer? This is prob still it.

On a side note, give this car some dignity and sticky this thread!
Last edited by cplchanb on 20 Feb 2024, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

Venturiation
Venturiation

organic

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Packaging has always been a signature Williams strong point. Looks tidy on the whole. Will they get suspension kinematics up to big boy level. Single lap pace was good but race pace quite often lacking

Farnborough
Farnborough

Cs98 wrote:
Farnborough wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

Which image ? The ones posted by "gavingav1" with lens resolution of component highly detailed (effectively from static images and depth of field, with acutance of v-high shutter speed, if it was really moving) contrasted with wheel spin and track surface artificially "moving" to make it look like it's actually on track ?

Noooo, not a render at all :mrgreen: if that's the image being referenced and showing the rear suspension layout.

Cs98
Cs98

Farnborough wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:49
Cs98 wrote:
Farnborough wrote:

Which image ? The ones posted by "gavingav1" with lens resolution of component highly detailed (effectively from static images and depth of field, with acutance of v-high shutter speed, if it was really moving) contrasted with wheel spin and track surface artificially "moving" to make it look like it's actually on track ?

Noooo, not a render at all :mrgreen: if that's the image being referenced and showing the rear suspension layout.
Yup, don't think that's a render. We will see who is correct soon enough. Williams have been on track in Bahrain filming today.

FW17

I guess Williams have continued using the 2023 gear casing. I guess the casing which houses the suspension should have a longer life that the gear cassette.

I guess Williams are able to use the 2024 Merc gear cassette with the old 2023 casings.

Might have saved some money too.

organic

FW17 wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 16:01
I guess Williams have continued using the 2023 gear casing. I guess the casing which houses the suspension should have a longer life that the gear cassette.

I guess Williams are able to use the 2024 Merc gear cassette with the old 2023 casings.

Might have saved some money too.
Williams switched to 2024 focus well before others. Could be also that their processes and required lead times meant they needed to finalize a rear suspension and gearbox design further in advance than mercedes could supply them with final '24 designs. See it with alpha tauri every year running older RB suspension

Holm86

Farnborough wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:49
Cs98 wrote:
Farnborough wrote:

The photo is taken by a car moving the same speed as the Williams, so the movement of the Williams relative to the camera is zero, I don't see anything that suggest this is a render ...

tomazy
tomazy

Winglet on front wing endplate is unique, it gets thicker, it is more like a triangle than a winglet. I also think there is a lot les bulk behind the airbox than last year, here is a pic of FW45 for comarison.

gavingav1 wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 13:33
Full Frontals

organic

tomazy wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 16:11
Winglet on front wing endplate is unique, it gets thicker, it is more like a triangle than a winglet. I also think there is a lot les bulk behind the airbox than last year.
Good spot on both fronts. Airbox definitely slimmer from Rosario Giuliana's comparison

And this is the funky dive plane. Brand new (chunky) solution. What are they doing with it

MTKF1
MTKF1

Is it me or does the rear wing look reduced area wise to the one that tested last year? The front wing looks pretty similar in terms of surface area (but more refined), but the rear wing definitely looks smaller.

Would this indicate that they've maintained or even increased the amount of downforce generated by the floor of the car and can therefor remove some rear wing whilst maintaining balance with the front. Or is it still to early to say?

Last Year Testing

Today's image