McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: McLaren MCL38

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I wrote about this yesterday. But for some reason this area received attention only today. Thanks for the comparison photos.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

So, the team decided to install a Bahrain spec rear wing on Lando’s car during practice 3

hollus

Team personnel… championship points… not in the car threads. Deleted.
Please use the team thread for that.
Rivals, not enemies.

Luscion
Luscion

ANDY238
ANDY238

Rear wing

f1rules
f1rules

De Wet

SilviuAgo

More photo of McLaren in Suzuka

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Looks like the Red Bull caliper. Has Mclaren always had this?

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 18:57
Looks like the Red Bull caliper. Has Mclaren always had this?
Yeah, Bahrain:
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

f1rules
f1rules

Nice to see they still have high speed quality in the car, even with others bringing updates and AM a big one. Would have been interesting to have kept lando on the low df rw but they took the safe route with weather and all taken into consideration. Cant wait for the big update

CjC
CjC

f1rules wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:11
Nice to see they still have high speed quality in the car, even with others bringing updates and AM a big one. Would have been interesting to have kept lando on the low df rw but they took the safe route with weather and all taken into consideration. Cant wait for the big update
I’m not so sure about the lower DF rear wing. The back end was always trying to finish the lap before the front end even with the higher DF rear wing so the lower one would be even worse.

I agree about the upgrade- let’s hope it’s decent and they can bring at least one set to China as I think the car in its current spec will only be good enough for the lower end of the points
Just a fan's point of view

hollus

Are these bumps in the insides of the foam protections new? I've marked one with a red arrow, there is an equivalent one in the other side, harder to see. The helmet comes to rest on those knobs when turning, rather than directly on the foam protections as is normal.
I posted something similar, but larger, from the Yuki's car, also from today at Suzuka.

Same question: driver comfort, or avoidance of flow blockage? Of course it could be both.

No present in most cars BTW, not today in any case.
Rivals, not enemies.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

hollus wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 13:27
https://i.imgur.com/vUwXXtw.jpeg

Are these bumps in the insides of the foam protections new? I've marked one with a red arrow, there is an equivalent one in the other side, harder to see. The helmet comes to rest on those knobs when turning, rather than directly on the foam protections as is normal.
I posted something similar, but larger, from the Yuki's car, also from today at Suzuka.

Same question: driver comfort, or avoidance of flow blockage? Of course it could be both.

No present in most cars BTW, not today in any case.
Nope, not new. Most likely they are needed to limit the movement of the head.