2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Re: 2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 07 - 09

The Lando jump start is however something that just needs to be fixed. It’s clear to everyone’s eye that he did move before the lights went out, but didn’t get any penalty because the computer said no. When it’s clear that it still was a jump start, it will always leave a sour taste when it goes unpunished, and there shouldn’t even be a need to explain to people why he gets off the hook, since it’s so clear to the eye what happened. Imagine if it’s the title deciding race and he wins because of it?

Juzh

Chuckjr wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 00:56
Crofty and Naomi remain awful and the pre-race show has become unwatchable. A total waste of time. Drivers are now so coached and the hosts so over-produced, it’s basically watching a pre-programmed video game pre-show. Wish folks could speak their mind like the old days to add some authenticity to interviews.
Spot on and it's the same on f1tv feed. Stopped watching ages ago, I just turn on for the start of the race and switch off immediately after cool down room. I dont understand who is the target audience really. Like, even us on f1technical who could consider ourselves true diehard fans of the sport can't stand it.

Tvetovnato wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 10:17
The Lando jump start is however something that just needs to be fixed. It’s clear to everyone’s eye that he did move before the lights went out, but didn’t get any penalty because the computer said no. When it’s clear that it still was a jump start, it will always leave a sour taste when it goes unpunished, and there shouldn’t even be a need to explain to people why he gets off the hook, since it’s so clear to the eye what happened. Imagine if it’s the title deciding race and he wins because of it?
A tale old as time in f1. They really should change the rule already, or reduce tolerance to a minimum. As it stands you can move 20-30 cm and still not get a jump start as long as you remain within your start box. Absurd really.

chrisc90

I don’t mind the F1Tv pre and post race shows tbh. Laura does a great job and it’s good to get the techy insights too that Sky doesn’t offer.
Far far superior to Sky’s team

Juzh

Race maximum speeds:
345 albon
then others at around 340-342 kmh, mainly midfield. Rus at 340 kmh.

mendis
mendis

chrisc90 wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 12:49
I don’t mind the F1Tv pre and post race shows tbh. Laura does a great job and it’s good to get the techy insights too that Sky doesn’t offer.
DC is the only clown there. They should also engage Bernie a bit more as her inside experience can be of interest in the racing matters. They need someone like Nico or Jenson to bolster the team with solid racing experience.

Mogster

Chuckjr wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 00:56
Crofty and Naomi remain awful and the pre-race show has become unwatchable.
Agree, Naomi is terrible.

venkyhere
venkyhere

SkyF1 is all about prostrating at the altar of the Hamilton God. Also have sub-gods like Russel, Norris and the newest kid, Bearman. A British racer's birthplace, childhood, parents, character, which school educated etc is discussed at length, but people from other parts of Europe or Americas are just 'some people'. Mistakes/bad-behavior by Brit drivers always have a 'but....' excuse, wheras the same mistakes/bad-behavior by other drivers don't. It's staggering how British centric the commentary and the production team is. I understand a bit of favouritism, but the who show cannot center around Brittania and it's people. As if F1 entirely belongs to Great Britain and the different team owners/TPs (except Ferrari) are simply 'allowed to' run their teams from Brit soil.

F1tv too has Brit commentators. But there are more actual racing drivers there. So even if the 'brit fever' is present there as well, there are technical insights about car behavior and strategy, and not a 5 minute rambling about what a particular radio message really means is pretty rare.
Last edited by venkyhere on 10 Mar 2024, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

mendis wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 13:08
chrisc90 wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 12:49
DC is the only clown there. They should also engage Bernie a bit more as her inside experience can be of interest in the racing matters. They need someone like Nico or Jenson to bolster the team with solid racing experience.
Yeah, Bernie and Sam giving a bit more of the techy analysis, or strategy predictions, would be a bit nicer. Certainly more than the 2-3mins they currently get.

Its f1TV, a channel that F1 fans have signed up to because the love the sport, give them the bit more techy stuff they want and leave your other international channels to cater for the casual viewers.

TFSA

In other news, Perez penalty wasn't an "unsafe release" per se (even though it's still classified as such). He actually ignored that the red light was still on and drove out. So the team didn't release him. He just floored it on his own.

Also the reason they're adding a penalty point.

Oleo
Oleo

Tvetovnato wrote:
Only thing that needs fixing is peoples understanding of what is allowed.
You are allowed to move with the lights on.
Definately wouldnt want a situation like ice speed skating, where a judge randomly decides person A moved too much but person B did not. No system is perfect, I like the current one, maybe it needs slightly smaller margins.

organic

Oleo wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 14:15
Tvetovnato wrote:
Definately wouldnt want a situation like ice speed skating, where a judge randomly decides person A moved too much but person B did not. No system is perfect, I like the current one, maybe it needs slightly smaller margins.
I thought the reason why they use the transponder to determine if the drivers have jumpstarted because it would be more reliable & accurate than video. Recent events have shown that not to be the case, so perhaps the rule just needs to be looked at.

TFSA

Oleo wrote:
The rule literally says you aren't allowed to, but also says that the transponder is the judge of whether you did or not.
"Any of the penalties under (...) will be imposed on any driver who is judged to have: a) moved before the start signal is given"

I don't see any reason why video evidence can't be used here. To me, I'd rather have a system where judges can do what they're supposed to do (judge), which will of course allow for mistakes, than a system that is clearly faulty. We've had 2-3 other incidents mentioned in this thread already where drivers escaped what should have been a slam dunk penalty.

The system clearly isn't working. I'll take Stewards making a call over a transponder which isn't doing what it's supposed to do any day of the week.

Whether or not Norris gained an advantage is entirely irrelevant. As someone else said, one day, a driver will get an advantage and gain from it.

scuderiabrandon

Excuse my ignorance here, I'm not entirely aware of the rules regarding the starting position but if were to rely on a signal that only trips once you cross a sensor, what stops drivers from stopping 2-3 meters further back in the box and rolling the car in as they wait for the lights to go out, surely there is an advantage to be gained? Hypotheticall speaking ofcourse, in practice it might be much more difficult to achieve

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Oleo wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:
You won’t be able to fix peoples understanding when it is easy for people to understand what a jump start is, but that no penalty was given for it. Common sense is often lacking in F1 in many areas to the extent that it becomes a parody, and this is one of those things that would be easy to fix by allowing stewards to make a call if the car moves before the lights are out. Here it was a slam dunk. So either fix the transponder or allow common sense judgements to be made…

TFSA

scuderiabrandon wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 15:45
Excuse my ignorance here, I'm not entirely aware of the rules regarding the starting position but if were to rely on a signal that only trips once you cross a sensor, what stops drivers from stopping 2-3 meters further back in the box and rolling the car in as they wait for the lights to go out, surely there is an advantage to be gained? Hypotheticall speaking ofcourse, in practice it might be much more difficult to achieve
Random start time stops it. The start lights are controlled by a human pressing a button, so you can't exactly predict when the lights will go out - sometimes the FIA guy pushes it fast, sometimes he waits a bit. There's a video here show it.

But there's a theoretical possibility that a driver will get lucky and get it right.