Qiddiya Speed Park for the 2027 Saudi Arabian GP

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: Qiddiya Speed Park for the 2027 Saudi Arabian GP

CHT wrote: ↑
05 Mar 2024, 22:40
What Jeddah need next is to legalise alcohol for tourists.
I have it on very good authority that the private parties in the region are full of alcohol. Saudi, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, etc are very different in person.πŸ˜‰

CHT
CHT

Zynerji wrote: ↑
06 Mar 2024, 15:38
CHT wrote: ↑
05 Mar 2024, 22:40
What Jeddah need next is to legalise alcohol for tourists.
I have it on very good authority that the private parties in the region are full of alcohol. Saudi, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, etc are very different in person.πŸ˜‰
There are private parties in Saudi Arabia, especially in expats' compound, embassies or private villas. But as foreigners, don't mess around with illegal alcohol in Saudi Arabia because they have harsh Syria laws.

maxxer
maxxer

Cs98 wrote: ↑
06 Mar 2024, 14:14
maxxer wrote: ↑
06 Mar 2024, 09:09
another very short track with alot of curves
Short? You sure you are looking at the whole track? Look top right.
Yes you are right its way more km then i thought. So indeed in perspective much better. Daring to go back to such a long circuit

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Watto wrote: ↑
06 Mar 2024, 14:22
CaribouBread wrote: ↑
06 Mar 2024, 09:33
dialtone wrote: ↑
06 Mar 2024, 02:34
Dumb question perhaps but... How are they going to make sure cars won't tumble downstairs? It doesn't happen often but there have been a couple of accidents in the last 10 years where cars really kinda took off.
Runoff, catch fencing and if all else fails, prayer to Allah
shouldn’t laugh so much at that, though perhaps not that much different to tracks with shortish run offs and a grandstand over the other side the catch fence.

I wonder how easily they could repair a catch fence if it suffered bad enough damage on a section like that.
Or even just the Techpro barrier. Red flag if anyone breaks down there are where are they going to crane the car to??

Watto
Watto

PapayaFan481 wrote: ↑
08 Mar 2024, 02:37
Watto wrote: ↑
06 Mar 2024, 14:22
06 Mar 2024, 09:33

Runoff, catch fencing and if all else fails, prayer to Allah
shouldn’t laugh so much at that, though perhaps not that much different to tracks with shortish run offs and a grandstand over the other side the catch fence.

I wonder how easily they could repair a catch fence if it suffered bad enough damage on a section like that.
Or even just the Techpro barrier. Red flag if anyone breaks down there are where are they going to crane the car to??
I assume a flat bed truck it back to the pits; or maybe they have some space behind the catch fence they can take the car to until after a race/session.

But yeah point stands really from an access pov and space to work on damage seems rather limited; i am sure they have a plan well I hope but seems far from idea.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

The only issue would be if cars get flung out like that Zhou Silverstone incident, apart from that there seems to be plenty of space for a crane or other access vehicles.

Watto
Watto

08 Mar 2024, 05:51
The only issue would be if cars get flung out like that Zhou Silverstone incident, apart from that there seems to be plenty of space for a crane or other access vehicles.
Quick look at that the catch fence caught the car. Bounced a little with the gravel trap. enough to roll it over the tyre barrier stopped by the catch fence, as per my message above not that it makes repairs to the fence impossible but access wise wouldn't be idea, or quick to fix it they had to make repairs to ti.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

I don't think any of us doubt their ability to build sufficient catch fencing - I mean with no grandstand there, the catch fencing could be as tall as they like.

My concern is purely that races will be disrupted by red flags for recovery vehicles if anyone gets stuck on that part of the track....

Watto
Watto

08 Mar 2024, 15:34
I don't think any of us doubt their ability to build sufficient catch fencing - I mean with no grandstand there, the catch fencing could be as tall as they like.

My concern is purely that races will be disrupted by red flags for recovery vehicles if anyone gets stuck on that part of the track....
Yep agree and if there is damage to the catch fence it doesn’t make fixing it ideal aware they can have plenty of space behind the fence for access but much like red flags to recover car there it provides a bigger challenge and likely more time to fix than it otherwise would.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

I don't quite understand, there's space for recovery vehicles to be stationed there. Its not like Monaco or other street circuits where some areas are almost inaccessible. That bit of the track doesn't seem to be any more inaccessible than any other bit of the track.

Watto
Watto

08 Mar 2024, 15:43

I don't quite understand, there's space for recovery vehicles to be stationed there. Its not like Monaco or other street circuits where some areas are almost inaccessible. That bit of the track doesn't seem to be any more inaccessible than any other bit of the track.
Looking again you could well be right but it’s probably a bigger concern to me than a car flying over the catch fence bit sure I recall the last time a car was thrown clear over the fences high and cause damage to fences and it’s almost always and/gravel traps that hope cars up that high thinking say Alonso a few years ago in Australia and I’m sure plenty of other I doubt it’s an issue.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

08 Mar 2024, 15:43

You're right. D'oh!! It looked to me like the barriers etc were right at the edge... And even if they were, I completely forgot about the infield πŸ˜‚

In my defence....erm....I gave up caffeine for lent lol

PlatinumZealot

cplchanb wrote: ↑
05 Mar 2024, 18:31
Just to start the discussion on this admittedly interesting new track including a 20 storey elevation change.
Though the removal of grandstands may not be too popular with traditional viewers who want a reserved seat vs fighting for a spot on a terrace.

https://www.motorsport.com/general/news ... /10581408/

https://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content ... -Track.jpg
This track is still on?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Matt2725
Matt2725

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2024, 19:17
cplchanb wrote: ↑
05 Mar 2024, 18:31
Just to start the discussion on this admittedly interesting new track including a 20 storey elevation change.
Though the removal of grandstands may not be too popular with traditional viewers who want a reserved seat vs fighting for a spot on a terrace.

https://www.motorsport.com/general/news ... /10581408/

https://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content ... -Track.jpg
This track is still on?
The Qiddiya project itself is actually quite advanced in terms of construction. A number of the coasters for the Six Flags Qiddiya Theme Park located in the same complex, are well into their construction with much of the track already erected for example.