Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andi76
Andi76

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Wouter wrote:
03 May 2024, 15:46
Andi76 wrote:
03 May 2024, 15:15
I'm sorry to say this but it's simply not true. Newey himself admits in several interviews that his contribution to the current ground effect cars was minimal. On the RB18, the first of these cars, he says he "only" took care of the suspension.

It was the media that always played up Newey's role and hyped him as the great, ingenious creator of the concept of the RB18-20,
the complex underbody and practically everything about these cars (even more than before),
something that Newey always made clear was wrong. But the media never cared.
Newey has not been primarily involved in F1 cars for almost 10 years (as he has said himself several times), but divides his work between hypercars, sailing yachts and F1 and no longer works so much but spends a lot of time in South Africa.
All this is completely new to me and I read a whole lot of articles about and by Newey.

Could you give me the sources and links where Newey said this? Thanks.
That was two years ago when he said that in an interview, unfortunately I no longer have a link here, but Marc Hughes published this exact part of the interview again a few days ago on the-race.com, in his article "Who really is behind Red Bull's Dominating Cars".

Andi76
Andi76

zeph wrote:
03 May 2024, 18:41
Andi76 wrote:
I'm sorry to say this but it's simply not true. Newey himself admits in several interviews that his contribution to the current ground effect cars was minimal. On the RB18, the first of these cars, he says he "only" took care of the suspension.
I recently saw an interview with Newey where he explained how past (racing) experience made him anticipate the porpoising of the current reg cars.

Could be self-aggrandizement, but he doesn’t seem the type, so I’m gonna take him at his word. The RBR was the only one who didn’t suffer from porpoising early 2022, so I guess his experience and ingenuity are still very relevant to the team.
That's exactly the point and an excellent example that I meant by "people like Rory Byrne and Adrian Newey" can make the difference. They know these things because of their experience and understand the car as a whole. Of course, it can be a coincidence that the Red Bull RB18 had almost no porpoising and the Ferrari F1-75 was not limited by it even though it had it - two different approaches. One sacrifices downforce to have no porpoising, the other sacrifices less downforce and keeps the porpoising exactly in the area where it does no damage. As I said, this is no coincidence, because the design teams were advised by Newey and Byrne, who were familiar with the problem from the first ground effect era and had solutions at hand. They were able to say to the design teams - watch out, this and that will happen and you won't see it in the wind tunnel, but it will happen on the track, so do this and that. But that has nothing to do with it being "their car" or concept, but they can make the difference thanks to their experience and knowledge and certainly brilliance and ingenuity. But that doesn't mean that they are solely responsible for the success of the car or that it is "their concept" and they are solely or significantly responsible for the success of the car, because the majority of the car and concept is designed and conceived by others. But they can make the difference, especially through things like this, which of course also depends on how much they participate, are involved and how much they are listened to. In general, the current F1 anyway shows the value of such "old" people like Byrne and Newey who still come from a generation where a "designer", technical director learned to understand everything about the car and worked on everything himself. Because it is precisely those three teams with such engineers that are leading the way - Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren. And it is precisely there that the last three engineers who worked on such cars in the first ground effect era work (McLaren - Neil Oatley, Red Bull - Adrian Newey) or advise (Ferrari - Rory Byrne). Neil Oatley still works full time in a senior position while Rory Byrne, at 80 years old, has only worked a few hours (2-3 months a year combined) for 18 years and mostly as a consultant from his home in Thailand. Newey's role over the last few years has been somewhere in between.

CHT
CHT

After watching this interview, I am now even more certain that AN will not be joining Ferrari or any f1 team after RB.

Fluido
Fluido

Andi76 wrote:
I'm sorry to say this but it's simply not true. Newey himself admits in several interviews that his contribution to the current ground effect cars was minimal. On the RB18, the first of these cars, he says he "only" took care of the suspension. It was the media that always played up Newey's role and hyped him as the great, ingenious creator of the concept of the RB18-20, the complex underbody and practically everything about these cars (even more than before), something that Newey always made clear was wrong. But the media never cared. Newey has not been primarily involved in F1 cars for almost 10 years (as he has said himself several times), but divides his work between hypercars, sailing yachts and F1 and no longer works so much but spends a lot of time in South Africa.
That is a pure lie, Newey never said that.
Show link where he said that?
Some members at this site constantly discredit Newey work.

Newey is chief technical officer and he set fundamental concepts of car in every set of regulations.
He is responsible if car is fast or slow(assuming the engine is good), because he must choose course in witch direction his technical team "is sailing".
If car is slow, CEO of team fires chief, not engineers.
Once when you have correct car concept, after that is evolution.
If the car has the wrong concept, then it is very likely that it will remain so until the next set of regulations, that is reason why Mercedes struggling so much.

Here is example where Newey said how 2020 car comes directly from his drawing board, at 49:16.
The same applies from the new set of regulations for 2022.

DDopey
DDopey

Fluido wrote:
04 May 2024, 09:22
Here is example where Newey said how 2020 car comes directly from his drawing board, at 49:16.
That’s not what he said there, he said ‘bits’ and the majority came from the other technicians.

Fluido
Fluido

DDopey wrote:
04 May 2024, 10:03

That’s not what he said there, he said ‘bits’ and the majority came from the other technicians.
It is well known what the role of the Chief Technical Officer is.

Cs98
Cs98

Fluido wrote:
04 May 2024, 09:22
Andi76 wrote:
I'm sorry to say this but it's simply not true. Newey himself admits in several interviews that his contribution to the current ground effect cars was minimal. On the RB18, the first of these cars, he says he "only" took care of the suspension. It was the media that always played up Newey's role and hyped him as the great, ingenious creator of the concept of the RB18-20, the complex underbody and practically everything about these cars (even more than before), something that Newey always made clear was wrong. But the media never cared. Newey has not been primarily involved in F1 cars for almost 10 years (as he has said himself several times), but divides his work between hypercars, sailing yachts and F1 and no longer works so much but spends a lot of time in South Africa.
That is a pure lie, Newey never said that.
Show link where he said that?
Some members at this site constantly discredit Newey work.

Newey is chief technical officer and he set fundamental concepts of car in every set of regulations.
He is responsible if car is fast or slow(assuming the engine is good), because he must choose course in witch direction his technical team "is sailing".
If car is slow, CEO of team fires chief, not engineers.
Once when you have correct car concept, after that is evolution.
If the car has the wrong concept, then it is very likely that it will remain so until the next set of regulations, that is reason why Mercedes struggling so much.

Specifically, on this car [the RB18] I did the front and rear suspension and a few other bits and pieces. From an exclusive article in 2022 on The Race.

Newey nowadays works stuff he finds interesting, in this case mainly the suspension.

DDopey
DDopey

Fluido wrote:
04 May 2024, 10:23
DDopey wrote:

Not sure how that relates to your misinformation about what he said in the video?

About his rol, Horner himself said that Newey was kind of a free roaming spirit in RB, with no real responsibilities or role definition. The Technical Director reports directly to Horner.

Fluido
Fluido

DDopey wrote:
04 May 2024, 11:18
Fluido wrote:
04 May 2024, 10:23
DDopey wrote:

Not sure how that relates to your misinformation about what he said in the video?

About his rol, Horner himself said that Newey was kind of a free roaming spirit in RB, with no real responsibilities or role definition. The Technical Director reports directly to Horner.
Just wait 2026, then you will understand..

Fluido
Fluido

Cs98 wrote:
04 May 2024, 11:02

Specifically, on this car [the RB18] I did the front and rear suspension and a few other bits and pieces. From an exclusive article in 2022 on The Race.
in this article write that he didnt do even research, that is not correct, journalist write nonsense..

Adrian Newey said:

" I’ve been at it for a long time now, 2021 was a really busy year because of the tight battle with Mercedes through the championship and, at the same time, putting all the research and development into the [RB]18, which was the father of this generation of cars.
There comes a point I think where I just felt, as Forrest Gump said, ‘a little bit tired."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... PtlvFQA0Uy

Vanja #66

Fluido wrote:
04 May 2024, 12:50
in this article write that he didnt do even research, that is not correct, journalist write nonsense..
Fluido, people are giving you detailed explanations, yet you are reading something else into them that you want to. It's not nice to acuse others of lying just because you want to believe something else, you'll get fewer and fewer quality responses over time. Not just on this thread, but everywhere on the forum

Newey has not been actively designing and overviewing the whole design of the whole car for years. With his experience, there is no need to. People simply filter out the most critical details for him and his input is probably always the best solution, saving them valuable time and development costs.

The most important thing is to set performance targets during development. Making CAD models, analysing CFD/WT results and making inputs for performance and laptime simulations is absolutely not the best use of his time, which also has a huge hourly price :lol: Once you set the right targets and methodologies to check downforce, drag, torques and balance of the car across a wide range of car attitudes, aero development is a creative but far more straightforward process.

Absolutely no person on this forum thinks Newey is overrated, not that important, etc, so there is no excuse to acuse anyone of such things
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Cs98
Cs98

Fluido wrote:
04 May 2024, 12:50
Cs98 wrote:
04 May 2024, 11:02

Adrian Newey said:

" I’ve been at it for a long time now, 2021 was a really busy year because of the tight battle with Mercedes through the championship and, at the same time, putting all the research and development into the [RB]18, which was the father of this generation of cars.
There comes a point I think where I just felt, as Forrest Gump said, ‘a little bit tired."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... PtlvFQA0Uy
So? Just states what the team was doing in 2021, not the specific things he was doing personally. But we know from the quote I provided his main point of focus was the suspension.

TimW
TimW

Only bad engineering managers claim credit for the achievements of the team as their own. It is a great way to demotivate the team and make them lose respect for you.

A good manager downplays his own role and credits the team for the achievement. With the media hype on Newey, this is even more important.

CHT
CHT

In the DC EJ interview, AN talk about how when he join RB he has to remove some engineers and bring in new ones with the right attitude, and further explain why they the people in the team is more important than the brand. He also talk about how he spend his time talking to engineers from various department everyday before getting some ME time to think, draw and explore. Its correct that AN doesnt design the entire car by himself, nor does he contribute to every ideas, but he still the go to guy in the company to decide in the development direction I think. What is most important is the people he put together that make the team so strong. as CTO, one of the most important role beside design is perhaps to get the right people for the job.

dia6olo
dia6olo

CHT wrote:
04 May 2024, 07:33
After watching this interview, I am now even more certain that AN will not be joining Ferrari or any f1 team after RB.

Your coping efforts are to be admired =D>