Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Watto
Watto

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Well seems its Ferrari or no where I think for a while.

I think there are a few difference between when Newey previously considered the role. One I think on a technical and management they are as strong as they have been i a long time so I think he can take a guiding role and get as involved or not as much as he chooses and not have to set up the technical dept fro scratch. But as for the pressure of Ferrari hes in a position now where things go wrong or he doesn't enjoy the roe he ca just turn around walk away and go sailing off in the sunset and not worry about the was it the right career choice he is financially set. IF he wins a WC with Ferrari it will be great on his CV if not well I don't think there is a person that will see him in any less of a light. His record speaks for itself

Mattchu

Thought he was on about Newey :oops: Technically he still has 2 eyes (one false), or is that 3 :o

Back to Adrian Newey, I`m inclined to think he probably hasn`t come to decision yet, the guy doesn`t come accross as someone who`ll rush into anything, he`ll consider his options, weigh up the pros and cons and come to a conclusion.
We as bystanders just need to wait...

dia6olo
dia6olo

Mattchu wrote:
10 May 2024, 15:05
Thought he was on about Newey :oops: Technically he still has 2 eyes (one false), or is that 3 :o

Back to Adrian Newey, I`m inclined to think he probably hasn`t come to decision yet, the guy doesn`t come accross as someone who`ll rush into anything, he`ll consider his options, weigh up the pros and cons and come to a conclusion.
I think it's highly unlikely he handed his notice in without having something lined up.
I have a feeling he is very clear about what he will be doing next (which team he will be working for) but he along with the chosen team are choosing to keep things under wraps for the time being.

Watto
Watto

dia6olo wrote:
10 May 2024, 15:58
Mattchu wrote:
10 May 2024, 15:05

I think it's highly unlikely he handed his notice in without having something lined up.
I have a feeling he is very clear about what he will be doing next (which team he will be working for) but he along with the chosen team are choosing to keep things under wraps for the time being.
I don’t completely agree- I think it is Ferrari or nothing - and think he will be there, but I don’t know he’s certain of him either - he left realising he can all but choose where he goes if he goes anywhere Ferarri, AM, Williams, Merc etc he turns up they’d take him.

I’m sure he’s spent the last few years considering retirement what will I do etc and maybe ideally it wouldn’t have been yet. But though i think he’s Ferrari bound I wouldn’t be surprised either if he just walks away, it’s not money keeping him around it if he wants to put himself through it all.

RAF
RAF

One thing I thought that might seem a bit outwards and sideways is that isn't Adrian hired through his own company?
Racing Services Ltd I believe under companies house in the UK. Could he not just wind this company up/close it/leave it as a director etc and therefore Red Bull would no longer have a contract with him as they have a contract with his company rather than himself, leaving him to do what he wants when he wants.

CHT
CHT

AN will not leave RBR until Q1 2025, which mean he will still be somewhat involve in RB22 while working on RB17 road car project.
He may not be directly involve but being AN he will certainly share his idea and opinion under the new technical regulation.
IMO, if AN wish to involve in consulting role, he will likely to go back to RB, but I really doubt he would because going back to F1
will take up all his time and energy for other things.

In the recent interview, he mentioned that to leave RB to join a rival team will be like walking out on your family. (in his own word)

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

CHT wrote:
11 May 2024, 04:09
AN will not leave RBR until Q1 2025, which mean he will still be somewhat involve in RB22 while working on RB17 road car project.
He may not be directly involve but being AN he will certainly share his idea and opinion under the new technical regulation.
IMO, if AN wish to involve in consulting role, he will likely to go back to RB, but I really doubt he would because going back to F1

In the recent interview, he mentioned that to leave RB to join a rival team will be like walking out on your family. (in his own word)
As per official press release, Newey is out of the F1 team activities and if he will be in a consultant role, he will not do it at Red Bull, just read between the lines of the interview to Brundle at Miami, it’s more than probable that his friendship with Horner is broken forever; at this point you are only projecting your wishful thinking, so I’d say, why wait and see what happens?

Big Tea

I just realised no one is tipping Newey to go to USA. If I was in his place and looking for "something different" it would be high on my list. Think of the record books.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dialtone
dialtone

CHT wrote:AN will not leave RBR until Q1 2025, which mean he will still be somewhat involve in RB22 while working on RB17 road car project.

You are coping hard since this news came out. Nobody here knows really what will happen, so we can all speculate and sit comfy and enjoy the show.

CHT
CHT

DoctorRadio wrote:
11 May 2024, 09:44
CHT wrote:
11 May 2024, 04:09

As per official press release, Newey is out of the F1 team activities and if he will be in a consultant role, he will not do it at Red Bull, just read between the lines of the interview to Brundle at Miami, it’s more than probable that his friendship with Horner is broken forever; at this point you are only projecting your wishful thinking, so I’d say, why wait and see what happens?
I am just sharing what AN said about RB being like a family and why he rejected Ferrari offer 3 times. In his own words.

Perhaps your reading between the lines are correct. We shall see about it..

CHT
CHT

dialtone wrote:
11 May 2024, 21:28
CHT wrote:AN will not leave RBR until Q1 2025, which mean he will still be somewhat involve in RB22 while working on RB17 road car project.

You are coping hard since this news came out. Nobody here knows really what will happen, so we can all speculate and sit comfy and enjoy the show.
Back in 2023 when AN signed a new contract I had actually speculated that AN will not be involve in 2026 project and he will likely retire.

So this news about AN leaving is not shocking..This isn't a Mike Elliott type of departure

Also the timing to join a new team in time for 2026 is also not right and Ferrari may just come out with a winning package in 2026 without AN.

What I find interesting is how media can create news out of thin air. If you look at what is going on in RB garage it doesn't look anything like what media for this forum is speculating about a fallout between AN and RB..

Mogster

CHT wrote:
12 May 2024, 01:19
dialtone wrote:
11 May 2024, 21:28

Back in 2023 when AN signed a new contract I had actually speculated that AN will not be involve in 2026 project and he will likely retire.

So this news about AN leaving is not shocking..This isn't a Mike Elliott type of departure

Also the timing to join a new team in time for 2026 is also not right and Ferrari may just come out with a winning package in 2026 without AN.

What I find interesting is how media can create news out of thin air. If you look at what is going on in RB garage it doesn't look anything like what media for this forum is speculating about a fallout between AN and RB..
Newey may take a sabbatical but he doesn’t appear to be thinking about retiring. Of course “work” could be outside F1, he has shown interest in road EV design. He said this in November 2023. Direct quotes.

"Two of the people I most respect are [former F1 supremo] Bernie Ecclestone and [US racing legend] Roger Penske, both of whom are still working at quite a ripe old age and are still very mentally agile.

"I asked both of them, because I know both of them reasonably well, what's their secret? And they both said: 'Don't stop working. Think of your brain as a muscle that needs exercise.' And I do agree with that from other observations.
"Unfortunately, my father retired at 65, and kind of ended up a little bit lost afterwards, I suppose. I don't think he'd mind me saying that. So I am conscious of all these things.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula- ... e-31519050

Vanja #66

Stopping all F1 related activities to enter a gardening leave asap is not by accident.

Making sure you will still have enough time to meaningfully contribute to a 2026 car by the time you start is no accident.

Leaving out a direct opponent of the executive with majority ownership backing from a farewell speech is no accident.

Making a sudden deal to enable all this and making it so quickly is no accident.

People talk, other people use this information in different ways and connecting those dots is no accident.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Waz
Waz

It's surely planned to allow him a few options.

Watto
Watto

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 May 2024, 11:18
Stopping all F1 related activities to enter a gardening leave asap is not by accident.

Making sure you will still have enough time to meaningfully contribute to a 2026 car by the time you start is no accident.

Leaving out a direct opponent of the executive with majority ownership backing from a farewell speech is no accident.

Making a sudden deal to enable all this and making it so quickly is no accident.

People talk, other people use this information in different ways and connecting those dots is no accident.
I’ll agree there is no accident in this and I do think it’s extremely likely he’s at Ferrari next year. I do also see it as a way to keep all options open - he may want to head off and do something else but also be aware how much F1 is in his DNA. Not fond of the internal struggle at RB. Think he is walking away to something else but not want to quit in 6 months think I miss F1 and realise he signed his rights away til sometime in 2026.

I think the chance he isn’t at Ferrari are small but think too if he isn’t happy about the role or conditions etc he can just as easily walk away with out a care in the world