AUSTRALIAN V8 SUPERCARS

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
doodzed
doodzed

cayenne

I thought the cayenne sucked until I went to Sebring a couple years back. ALMS uses them for medical cars. When the drivers fling them round corners they really fly. Even the standard V8 auto.

I am sure every driver on the track is glad the doctors have such a capable auto/driver combo.

Before dissing a car, check out what it can do. I wish porsche was not in the truck business. But guess what, the cayenne is what happens when porsche makes a truck. Damn fine piece of engineering. And it may fund us prototype program soon!!!!

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I live way up in Canada, and was never exposed to Aussie V-8's until SpeedTV started showing that racign series. Sadly for Canadian fans, they are tape delayed, literally weeks after the event. But hey, at least we get to see some great racing. I really liek it, a lot.
Spec-wise, the V-8's are vaguely similar to the NASCAR cars... approx 350 cu. in. displacement from an OHV V-8, RWD. The chassis are quite different, and of course, almost all NASCAR cars are designed for oval racing, not road racing.
I'm a sim racer, I get my jollies by racing other people online. There is one fine sim game, the Papyrus "NASCAR Racing Season 2003". One cool aspect are the numerous mods now out for this game. I can download and install different tracks, different types of cars, and other stuff. So you can take this oval action game and transform it into something very personal. On my computer, I can race Mount Panorama, Le Mans, and even the great, old, glorious Nurburgring. And in a Viper, or maybe a 'Vette, or a GT40.
Maybe I'm too old and poor to do it in person, but I can enjoy racing on some of the great race tracks of the world. But if I had the time and money, I would definitely attend the Bathurst.

dumrick
dumrick

The Australian V8 Supercars are a delight to watch. Here in Portugal, I only saw it sometimes in a foreign cable channel, but I never missed a bit when it was on.

And it has nothing to do with NASCAR. The tracks require brakes, throttle and cornering skills. And of course... there's Bathurst!!!!! An old-fashioned amazing circuit... there should be a World Championship for sports cars, having only tracks like Bathurst, Spa, Laguna Seca, Suzuka... that way you'd figure out the great racers...

Silver-Arrowz
Silver-Arrowz

I've driven on the Bathurst track at normal road speed and coming down the mountain is insane! I can't imagine how the drivers do it at race pace. Navagating down the mountain is no easy feat either. No space to run off and these guys use wall to wall, all the way down. Absolute balance is required. Things get VERY intersting from "the big dipper" to "forrest elbow" when it rains. :D
I don't suffer insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Grantys
Grantys

V8s rock

Hey guys you ive been to bathurst and it is fantastic. it compeares to the GP In melbourne (I actually think its better) 8)

Granty

I've seen an aussie v8 ford falcon that was racing in the belcar euro GT seiries, i was expecting it to be a big heavy battering ram but it shot off like a rocket. Yes i am an aussiev8 fan and sometimes you can get it over here on some of the satelite channels. I wish vauxhal would bring out the Comodore here in the Uk, they've already brought out the Monaro.

I've driven on the Bathurst track at normal road speed and coming down the mountain is insane!
Yes, ive driven it in nascar2003 (Great Game!)

You can hardly keep it on the track!

johny

bathurst track is insane, only an aussie would desing it

jezzwa

they are no F1 but for touring cars aussie V8's rock

GO FORD! :mrgreen:
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide