Regenerative systems (KERS)

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Ciro Pabón

Re: Regenerative systems (KERS)

Well, when we started this thread, I was reading a communication theory. So, I've been trying to follow it by merging all threads on KERS since then. I was right, but I was wrong: I was trying to fight clustering and ended in cacophony. :)

Maybe we should split the thread: technical posts, teams news and info and even jokes on KERS :)
Ciro

Professor
Professor

xpensive wrote:Welcome Professor and what a promising nick, you will not be easily forgotten here.

I think you can find the answer to your Q upstream this thread, once or twice at least, please do not let the 22 pages discourage you, it's most educational.
Thanks for the welcome. I did read the 346 posts. I found especially compelling the algae biofuel farms, the green philosophy, pneumatic Kers, hydraulic Kers, and the anti-matter machines. 8)

xpensive
xpensive

You are a good citizen Professor, besides, I am quite certain that you made jddh1, mx as well as Ciro's day.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

modbaraban
modbaraban

Ciro Pabón wrote:....I was reading a communication theory. So, I've been trying to follow it by merging all threads on KERS since then.....
and ended in cacophony. :)
The trick is to merge threads right after the new duplicate thread appears.

xpensive
xpensive

Good thinking mod, where do you get all those excellent ideas?

jddh1

xpensive wrote:Good thinking mod, where do you get all those excellent ideas?
The Book of Excellent Ideas. $19.99 from your local bookstore.

@ Professor: Who would've thought that nick was available in a forum such as this one. Nevertheless, welcome.

@ xpensive (again): Thanks for putting that "quick-list" together, by the way, in the previous page. I did read the entire thread the day of my last post but to have them in one post like you did will certainly help future visitors.

Oh, I would really like to see a race on the main straight of 6-8 mechanics pushing an F1 car, say 300m. I think it would be really interesting. Bets could be wagered and all proceeds go to some charity. Could be fun.

xpensive
xpensive

I just wonder if that book has a Swedish translation yet, should be an instant bestseller over here.
But thanks anyway jddh1.

modbaraban
modbaraban

jddh1 wrote:
xpensive wrote:Good thinking mod, where do you get all those excellent ideas?
The Book of Excellent Ideas. $19.99 from your local bookstore.
Not exactly. The book wasn't available when I needed it a few decades ago so since then I started to practice good thinking. It didn't work out too well at first but after some time I got better at it. And now it's so rewarding, no book can give you that. Try it guys, really. :mrgreen:

Professor
Professor

xpensive wrote:@ Professor: Who would've thought that nick was available in a forum such as this one. Nevertheless, welcome.
Thanks, sort of, for the qualified welcome. Maybe I should have chosen a more benign "nick" than Professor, perhaps "Redneck Dumbass" would prove to be more appropriate and less threatening to the established order. :wink:
Last edited by Professor on 24 Feb 2009, 00:44, edited 2 times in total.

pipex
pipex

Professor wrote:I'm THE Professor and i know everything. Get ready to read a continuous stream of knowledge. Everyone that resists my domination will have to do 999 homeworks, or will be banned forever.
Hmmm, just wanted to create a "made up" quote for my own amusement :)
Welcome Professor, at least your nick will not be easily forgiven.

Edit: Format fix!
"We will have to wait and see".

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Lets get this discussion back on topic shall we...

BTW, both of you messed up your quotes :wink: . At the end you need [/quote].
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

pipex
pipex

Returning this thread back on topic, as mx suggested, i read that Renault is using batteries in the nose of their car. I ask myself all the implications of this, it could be only a possibility, but to me it sounds like a big can of worms...

Edit: #-o i hate typos

ISLAMATRON

read from where... source or link please...very interesting.

pipex
pipex

Atlas F1 BB, but they are only rumours :P

http://forums.autosport.com/showthread. ... ost3486445

This piece in particular is interesting:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73208
Q. Are teams allowed to run with batteries in the nose cone area?

MM: As far as I know, yes. There are regulations about what part you can put in what part of the car. I understand that one of the manufacturers is making a special battery which goes where the ballast goes, but obviously it is not as heavy as tungsten. I think most of them are going to put the entire system inside the fuel tank.

xpensive
xpensive

At the end of the day, KERS is a very good example of how enineering wanna-bees like Mosley can mess up when they try to be technical. 200 litres of regular gasoline holds some 7200 MJ of energy and is filled up in 20s, which by the way means a power-equivalent of 360 MW.
KERS will recover a total of 28 MJ over 70 laps and will cost the teams tens of millions of EUR to individually develop. A giant "green" leap for mankind? Think about it.

For Professor, that was not my quote btw, it belonged to your esteemed countryman in NYC.