Getting serious in Bahrain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AeroGT3
AeroGT3

leomax wrote:Few Pics

Saribro
Saribro

Please don't post such high-res pics directly, just link them or post low-res version or thumbnails.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

In the high resolution pictures, fourth from the top, the rear view of the Ferrari shows in good detail the workings of the mirrors. Very convex, and angled to the sides a lot. Not very good at showing much detail behind the car, but it sure makes it easier to see anyone attempting to pass or run alongside.

Steve Wilson
Steve Wilson

Has anyone else noticed the antenna-like piece on the top of the McLarens roll bar? What's this for, looks very strange.

bhall
bhall

It's just a sensor used for testing.

joseff

IIRC it's been mentioned on another thread that McLaren mounts a pitot tube there to measure airspeed.

There was also a pic of a Renault having an extra camera there.

MrT
MrT

may well be used to test data aquisition sensors, such as wheel speed sensors etc. That would be my guess.

allan
allan

A crash for hiki this morning:
luckily... he is completely fine.big crash though :shock:

waynes
waynes

i dont understand other than rear suspension failure how he has thrown it off there

Keir

waynes wrote:i dont understand other than rear suspension failure how he has thrown it off there
Unless he ran wide onto the kerbs and the car snapped around.

See my topic on Renault and bumps ;)

I told ya :P

zac510
zac510

waynes wrote:i dont understand other than rear suspension failure how he has thrown it off there
Not an unreasonable suggestion but in this picture earlier in the sequence both rear suspension assemblies appear to be intact:

waynes
waynes

zac510 wrote:Not an unreasonable suggestion but in this picture earlier in the sequence both rear suspension assemblies appear to be intact:
http://www.autosport.com/gallery/pictur ... 505Y9K3L-2
Keir wrote:Unless he ran wide onto the kerbs and the car snapped around.
that does look the most logic explanation

long night ahead for the renault boys, the first of many im thinking

whiplash

Or maybe a fault with the traction control

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

it can simply be a driver mistake, its not always the cars fault (TC,tires,etc)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

waynes
waynes

Heikki Kovalainen may be forced to miss another half-a-day's testing as a consequence of his massive testing shunt in Bahrain on Tuesday morning.

The Finnish Renault rookie completed just 19 laps on the opening day of the final pre-season test before clouting the barriers hard at Turn 7 on the Sakhir track.

But while Kovalainen emerged unscathed from the wreck, Renault's chassis number R27-03 received extensive damage which may take until Wednesday afternoon to repair.

New rules only allow teams to take two cars to a test this year, which means Kovalainen is sidelined until his car becomes available again.

"I had a pretty big accident today – I got caught out in turn seven and the car hit the barriers quite hard," said the 25-year-old.

"All the safety systems worked perfectly so I am fine, but there is quite a lot of damage to the car and I may not be able to start running again until tomorrow afternoon.

"That will delay our programme, which is frustrating, but the focus now is on working with the team to get the car ready as soon as possible."

Despite the loss of running however, Kovalainen reckons he is well prepared ahead of his F1 race debut in Australia in March.

"We are already in a good position after running for three days last week, but there are still some important preparations to be completed before we get to Melbourne."
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38543