Nick to take on Nordschleife!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ds.raikkonen

actually it was the STIG..not Jarno Trulli..first he took a Chevy Lasetti..did 70mph..and then did 85mph in the Toyota F1 racer with the V10 900bhp engine..
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Sawtooth-spike

Your right it was the Stig, but i knew it was not Hamster. Anyway back to the topic.

anybody got any ideas of how an f1 car would handle the Carrosel at full speed?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

PNSD
PNSD

I personally think he will miss the banking, and just go straight round the outside.

hope not though, i want to see the suspension working hard through there !

the only thing with this BMW going round is saftey, i wouldnt be supprised if the cars got max downforce, and just long ratios and a car which will understeer like a bitch, just make sure he doesnt go too quick.

Tp
Tp

Well, skimming through an article in a past F1 racing magazine says, 'A simulation carried out BMW reveals that a BMW-Sauber F1.06 could lap it (the Nurburgring ) in 5m.15.80s'

The article is actually about J.Villeneuve taking on the Nurburgring in a BMW M5 production car, he talks about taking a modern day F1 car on the track. 'There are a few corners here you just couldn't drive at 10-tenths because they're too bumpy; unless you braked early, you'd risk braking with your wheels in the air - and then you'd lose control. You need to keep a small margin, mainly just for the bumps. Maybe, at the end of the day, you could try it at 10-tenths - but you might get hurt big time.'

Keir

ds.raikkonen wrote:
zenvision wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote: come to think of it...nowadays production cars can lap the Nordschleife in 7min!! heck!!
Don't think so. A few seasons ago Clarkson tackled the Nordscheife with a Jaguar and if I remember well the time was about 11 minutes.
Dude...he was in a Jag S-type diesel///pathetic acceleration...and he clocked 9min 52secs...when i said prod cars,i obviously meant cars with 400+bhp or maybe 500+bhp
It was more about him driving like a retard. I've done B to G considerably faster than Jezza's in my Rallye.

Keir

BTW the fastest recorded time round the ring was Stefan Bellof in a Group C Porsche.

I don't think I'd ever want that to be beaten to be honest, Stefan was a hero - he died trying to go round the outside of someone at Eau Rouge!

Keir

Octavarium
Octavarium

Keir wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote:
zenvision wrote: Don't think so. A few seasons ago Clarkson tackled the Nordscheife with a Jaguar and if I remember well the time was about 11 minutes.
Dude...he was in a Jag S-type diesel///pathetic acceleration...and he clocked 9min 52secs...when i said prod cars,i obviously meant cars with 400+bhp or maybe 500+bhp
It was more about him driving like a retard. I've done B to G considerably faster than Jezza's in my Rallye.
In my reasonably short experience of driving both on the road and track its become pretty apparent that Jezza is a far better comedian (or perhaps Journalist...) than a driver... Especially since starting my degree in Mechanical/Automotive engineering it's become clear that most of the things he says about handling/performance/power are basically carp.

tomislavp4

Well not 7sec. more like 7 and a half for the production cars :wink:
Last year koenigsegg ccr clocked 7:30 in far from ideal conditions (6 degrees celsius), they said that if the weather was ideal they could go 4 seconds faster... If they send the new ccxr it will could go 7:24 in ideal conditions :roll:

RH1300S
RH1300S

I'm looking forward to seeing this - should be an amazing sight.

I doubt very much that Quick Nick will try for any kind of lap time. Pointless and dangerous. Pointless because a modern F1 car is simply not built for the bumps and could never use it's full potential, so you prove nothing. It would probably be a toboggan at the bottom of Fuchsrohe - and what about Planzgarten!! Many other places too.

At a guess - If he went for any kind of "lap" I suspect he could get the car into the 6min bracket without too much trouble. BUT if it's a demo' then they may well take in most/all of the modern GP circuit too - which would add roughly a minute.

BTW - you just cannot compare Nurby laptimes ad-hoc. Scheckter's time was set when the Sud-Kurve and original start/finish was in place, also some of the bigger jumps have been removed/reduced since then.

Clarkson's lap was measured "bridge to gantry" which effectively removes most of the back straight.

Some Nordschliefe lap times may even include the modern GP circuit (or part of) depending on which track variant was being used in a race. Some do time the full "tourist" circuit (which you can't do as a tourist BTW - no flying laps) and some are "tourist" but bridge/gantry.

Just glad they are doing it :D

dumrick
dumrick

Keir wrote:I don't think I'd ever want that to be beaten to be honest, Stefan was a hero - he died trying to go round the outside of someone at Eau Rouge!
Actually, it was a collision with Jacky Ickx going into the inside of Eau Rouge's left hander (before the hill). But indeed he was one of the greatest. Is actually sad remembering it again... :(

icef1mkd
icef1mkd

mates, is it true that you can pay and take a lap of the Ring with your own or rented car, on your own risk? :?:
"You will never know the feeling of a driver
when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings
that cannot be understood."
Ayrton Senna, November 1988

Tom

apparently so, obviously the track is occsionally closed for events but to my understanding you can turn up and do most of a lap, timed, then join the line to try again. Doesn't cost much either I don't think. Be very careful though, apparently there are alot of bikers, tour buses and of course the ring taxi all begging to be hit.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

RH1300S
RH1300S

icef1mkd wrote:mates, is it true that you can pay and take a lap of the Ring with your own or rented car, on your own risk? :?:
Yes you can - it's a one-way public highway. Normal rules apply (overtake on the left, the police investigate accidents etc.)

That's the reason you often see "Bridge-Gantry" times (although timing laps is frowned upon for obvious reasons ;)). The "Bridge" is the first bridge you pass under after going through the barrier (think it's normally referred to as "Antoniusbuche" - The "gantry" you pass under shortly after "galgenkopf" (last corner of the tourist circuit). From there you are winding it all down to pull off the circuit back to the car-park.

IMHO - As a tourist, it's best to tackle the Nordschliefe as a very fast road (not a race track). It will bite the unwary/un-skillfull & even unlucky (an oil spill over a blind cresting turn and all that awaits is a cold steel barrier :( )

The best piece of tarmac you will ever drive on 8) :twisted:

pyry
pyry

hmm
four rings to rule them all