Mclarens new front wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

:oops: I must have not noticed ! It's new to me though. :lol:

But yeah, it is similar in the overall shape, except Mclaren went a more extreme route and didnt connect the wing plates with the nose, instead bridged the entire wing over the nose section. Regarding the Mclaren wing, I doubt it will see race action, It probably will flex at 300kph. And its somewhat of a safety hazard.
I hope Ferrari have done their homework and havent been left behind (by Macca, not Toyota).
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

mahesh248
mahesh248

thanks for all of that i know what understeer and oversteer is ...man !!!!!!! chill u can adjust them will differential tyres pressure and all not just wings ....alone ...

furnik
furnik

as you see toyota has lost out in that mclaren has one in design rules
why build a high nose when you can build a low one and get away with extras on the top of the nose. click on the images and you can see the green is no go area blue is freedom of design. big diffrence.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1381/f ... opyyv1.jpg

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9726/f ... 141uz6.jpg

mahesh248
mahesh248

^^^ thats cool man u got it rite ...

bizadfar
bizadfar

mahesh248 wrote:thanks for all of that i know what understeer and oversteer is ...man !!!!!!! chill u can adjust them will differential tyres pressure and all not just wings ....alone ...
No you dont, i think you just play too many computer games with no real life racing experience.

You can change the balance of the car alot but it has comprimise. Tyre pressure affect durability too.

Aero part gains are better to change balance.

mahesh248
mahesh248

Oh yeah may be u are rite ....are u into racing ..? well man me in INDIA and u know motorsports here are really like what u guys get water in USA ...so man m just trying to learn things.... well yeah areo dynamics are playing a big part ...to adjust the balance ..so dose mechanical and weight dist ... F1 cars dont fly in air ..

RH1300S
RH1300S

mahesh248 wrote:F1 cars dont fly in air ..
They operate IN air and ON the ground :wink: - This is what makes it so tricky for the engineers.

An obvious statement and a simple one, but worth some thought :D

Back OT - I think the wing looks quite funky - elegant.......

Only a wild guess...........(what else could it be ;)) - it would seem that it is too slender to give much actual downforce. The centre of the wing may help the air-stream change direction as it rises over the nose. Perhaps this helps reduce some of the lift that you would get as the air accelerates over the higher part of the nose further back?

mahesh248
mahesh248

I would if they use this current upgrade into action in the grand prix ...would love to see that in some simulations ...

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

About the idea of flexing ..

If there is flexing, in general that indicates that you're thowing away downforce. The only exception would be if the angle of attack were affected by flexing to increase downforce more which is highly unlikely as flexing would not likely lead to twisting the element.

IMO McLaren and Ferrari have the most evolved and "no nonsense" aero developments. If they run it at the Spanish GP, trust me, it works well for what it's designed to do. Maybe this project is why McLaren have gone to a low nose design to begin with ..

Rob W

I think McLaren's new wing looks great... Toyota's effort above looks a bit weird though.. I hope there is a performance gain from it.

R W

modbaraban
modbaraban

mahesh248 wrote:I would if they use this current upgrade into action in the grand prix ...would love to see that in some simulations ...

there u go :)

the upper one is more accurate.
-----------------------------------------------------------

yeah and talking bout funky look of it. I forgot to mention that Toyota's wing looks a lot like a mouth :o while McLaren's is a mouth with tongue between the lips :P

------------------------------------------------------------

Here's one by RedBull

------------------------------------------------------------

Fresh update.

McLaren seem to like this idea as they painted it:

Looks like we'll see one in the Spanish Grand Prix :P

FLC
FLC

Together with adding the new wing profile, Mclaren have added two fins, somewhat like those Renault use as ears, on the nose:

[IMG:1172:750]http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/8858/mclarenon5.jpg[/img]

m3_lover

They were there last year..check out the brazil 2006 pictures on motorsport.com..they have some good pictures of it
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

zender05
zender05

mahesh248 wrote:Oh yeah may be u are rite ....are u into racing ..? well man me in INDIA and u know motorsports here are really like what u guys get water in USA ...so man m just trying to learn things.... well yeah areo dynamics are playing a big part ...to adjust the balance ..so dose mechanical and weight dist ... F1 cars dont fly in air ..
Better grammar would make responses and reception in general quite a bit easier.
BreezyRacer wrote: Maybe this project is why McLaren have gone to a low nose design to begin with ..
Quite interesting! Could very well be possible. However, I'd wonder why they didn't bring it forward until now if that was the case.
Jesus loves ya!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

zender05 wrote:
mahesh248 wrote:Oh yeah may be u are rite ....are u into racing ..? well man me in INDIA and u know motorsports here are really like what u guys get water in USA ...so man m just trying to learn things.... well yeah areo dynamics are playing a big part ...to adjust the balance ..so dose mechanical and weight dist ... F1 cars dont fly in air ..
Better grammar would make responses and reception in general quite a bit easier.
[-o<
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.