Mclarens new front wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
tomislavp4

Grey looks better to me :D

mini696

And it now sports the car (driver) numbers.
Edit - Thats only a shadow, damn.

Grey looks best, I guess they were just testing the colours to see what was best, on the track.

Rob W

DaveKillens wrote:
beerbellybob wrote:What if its there to help condition flow while closely following another car?
Good point, but so far this year, the car that got through turn one first went on to win. These days, qualifying and starting position is ultra-critical.
I still think it makes very good sense to pursue ideas that allow you to have the best possible 'passing performance'. If Alonso/Hamilton and McLaren are setting their car up more for race-distance and it is affecting their qualifying positions then spending a bit of time on development in the passing theme seems like a good idea.

Any car with a passing advantage would be in especially good stead when passing midrunners after pit stops etc.

Rob W

Tom

Are the teams allowed to add new aero devices or remove aero devices in a pitstop without replacing them? Could Mclaren gain a significant advantage with this device in qualifying then take it off in the first pitstop and gain a significant advantage in the final two thirds of the race? I don't see why not because they can rip broken bits off, why not complete parts.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

m3_lover

I don't think you could..I believe after Parc Ferme you are only allowed to make various adjustments to tyres..front wing angles etc. and such..No new parts or anything after qualifying
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

modbaraban
modbaraban

m3_lover wrote:I don't think you could..I believe after Parc Ferme you are only allowed to make various adjustments to tyres..front wing angles etc. and such..No new parts or anything after qualifying
But you can replace the whole nosecone during the pitstop.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

modbaraban wrote:
m3_lover wrote:I don't think you could..I believe after Parc Ferme you are only allowed to make various adjustments to tyres..front wing angles etc. and such..No new parts or anything after qualifying
But you can replace the whole nosecone during the pitstop.
True, but with the same exact nosecone specifications as the one it's replacing. Thus not changing/altering the aerodynamics whatsoever.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Tom

Maybe not even add components but take them off
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

m3_lover

It would not match the car that was used in qualifying and hence illegal..it has to be the same.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.