What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

Giblet wrote:What I would really like to see, is a Digg.com style area
at the bottom of each news article, for registered users to comment on
that particular article, which will help keep the forum a bit less
clustered, and as the news article fades into obscurity, the comments
for it will always be attached, making searching for news related
threads waaaay easier. No need to start a new forum topic for us to
chat about a news article.
A bit like it is in the devblog then? I am however constantly wondering how to improve the coupling between the news/articles/f1db with the forum. Hence I'm not sure about the commenting yet. Any ideas?

Yes... what you do with the technical blog would be good for the news stories. That way there would be a place to comment directly on the article, without the problems of posting in wrong groups, double posts about a topic, etc.

As well, maybe a thumb nail for the articles, with the number of comments show, again like the tech blog. Makes everything look slick :)
Giblet wrote:Have you also considered adding the
Digg or Reedit style up/down buttons? This way, if one of the articles
here gets dugg up like madd on digg, then you will get the Digg effect,
as thousands of users show up for the one article to read. But that can
be good for click revenue, and at the end of the day, I know you are
not in it for the money, but the money is always nice.
There is a digg button at the bottom of each news article that allows you to digg the page. Is that what you are asking?

Yes... funny I never saw it. Same as I never noticed the donation button at the bottom. i guess I have my routines and end up in the forum every day.
Giblet wrote:You should also add a donation link, to try to recoup some of your time/money you have burned for US.
[/quote]
There is one, in the blue bar of the footer of each page ;)

yes there it is. :oops:

Seriously Tomba, this page is better then most, and I assume there are many treasures that I have yet to find and enjoy as well.

Much like a good well balanced chassis, updates and improvements are all that is needed. The fundamentals of a good home base are in place.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

safeaschuck

Dear Steven & People of F1Tech,

Do you think that there is any worth in putting up a list for members who can offer professional services?
Perhaps, and maybe particularly if these services were offered for free?
Maybe people here could list the industries they have expertise in and then could help anyone who comes across this site looking to pay money to get work done?
Maybe it could be restricted to people who have already made a certain amount of posts to stop you being overrun by cowboys who want free advertising, you know, put something in before you get anything out, or at least have people trust you first.

And maybe users could offer to guide purchasers through the order process rather than sell a product directly.

I won't be the least bit offended if you say this is a terrible idea, there are many conflicts of interest I'm sure, but it seems to work for trade publications very well and things like the Autosport directory are well respected, yet they allow no feedback or debate on the pages where the lists are published. Also our M.S.A. Blue book, which you get whenever you achieve a competition license has many professional companies listed, but nowhere you can link to (like this website might be able to offer) where you can see feedback or scores on the company in question from previous customers.

I see a structure which would start off like the forum, where you choose aero or mech, then drill down into individual components from the car, like brake discs/rotors, and anyone who has relevant expertise is listed, maybe along with some work history. Perhaps this is something the site could gain from financially somehow? it would certainly tie in nicely, and you may get first option on some featured companies press releases etc. in the future, which could be good.

Anyway, still enjoying the site very much,
All the best,

Nathan.

bidong
bidong

well i would love to remove 5 year old threads ...

modbaraban
modbaraban

bidong wrote:well i would love to remove 5 year old threads ...
Forum is a database in a way. I'd rather remove trolls who bump old threads for no reason. :wink:

Shrek
Shrek

the poster can delete his/her post/thread, and maybe find some way to combine threads.
Spencer

xpensive
xpensive

Some technical topics perhaps? :wink:

The moderators should not only be more active in removing unrelevant threads, but also introduce more relevant such?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

jddh1

I want to see a button that when I press it my girlfriend will completely understand why this page is on my top bookmarks and why I wake up at 7:30am to watch a race after going to bed at 6am after a night clubbing.
That would make my life so much easier. [-o<

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

jddh1 wrote:I want to see a button that when I press it my girlfriend will completely understand why this page is on my top bookmarks and why I wake up at 7:30am to watch a race after going to bed at 6am after a night clubbing.
That would make my life so much easier. [-o<
Answer: New girlfriend!

My gf understands this very well, she even watches the races without me sometimes.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

xpensive
xpensive

To be a lttle more specific mx...keep the girlfriend but get more mistresses!

Ciro Pabón

xpensive wrote:Some technical topics perhaps? :wink:

The moderators should not only be more active in removing unrelevant threads, but also introduce more relevant such?
All right, all right, we get the point, we are all in for less unrelevancy. In case you haven't noticed, mods opinate widely in technical threads, while in unrelevant threads we barely dare... we're too busy editing that kind of threads.

Unrelevant, unrelevant. I like that word... ;)
Ciro

xpensive
xpensive

I'm a dyslexic Ciro, most Swedes are, even the King himself.

Giblet
Giblet

Elvis was a Swede?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

flynfrog

As much as I hate to suggest it. An ignore user button. The recent trend of threads mostly by certain posters has me spending less and less time on the site. If we had an ignore button we could eliminate the offending user for those of us who would rather read a tech thread instead of a fanboy flame war.

Also I too am a Dyslexic

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Xpensive, it is not the moderators job to lead and direct the discussions held in the forum, but rather to guide and administer the discussions so that they follows the forum guidelines and regulations.

Or would you prefer that they put words in your mouth was well? ...Along with telling you what to talk about.

And how did you guys find out you were dyslexic? Was there a formal test to be taken?

If so, can you point me in the direction of an online version please...
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

flynfrog

mx_tifosi wrote:Xpensive, it is not the moderators job to lead and direct the discussions held in the forum, but rather to guide and administer the discussions so that they follows the forum guidelines and regulations.

Or would you prefer that they put words in your mouth was well? ...Along with telling you what to talk about.

And how did you guys find out you were dyslexic? Was there a formal test to be taken?

If so, can you point me in the direction of an online version please...
I was diagnosed pretty early on. I would transpose words as a child. I really dont feel it is a hindrance. I think in a completely different way than most people. Helps to think out problems differently. I can also memorize pages at a time. I dont see words so much as pictures hard to explain. Also I cant spell to save my life

dyslexics untie !!

as for a test I think its an evaluation done by a psychologist