Sim Racing

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Best PC F1 sim

GP 4
13%
rFactor
52%
F1 Challenge `99 `02
26%
other?
10%

Total votes: 31

Giblet
Giblet

Sim Racing

Hi Kids.

I used to play the older GP series Geoff Crammond sims, Grand Prix Legends, and but since GP3 have been a bit out of the loop.

I undrstand for PC my contenders are :

GP4
F1 Challenge `99-`02
rFactor

As far as realism, I don't need anything else other then GTR2, but I want to jump head first into the most rewarding F1 sim.

PNSD
PNSD

rFactor... Somehow it is able to accuratley model physics for a wide range of motorsports...

Its a great sim, with alot of quality mods and mod teams.

Out of them all has the most potential...

One bad thing is the rain issue, however it will be addressed soon :)

modbaraban
modbaraban

PNSD wrote:rFactor... Somehow it is able to accuratley model physics for a wide range of motorsports...
...and that is its biggest problem. They should have made an openwheel series sim instead of getting avarything in one (including even rally cars)

I suggest F1 Challenge for F1 and rFactor for everything else.

PNSD
PNSD

Playing CTDP 2005 on rF with no aids is much more realistic than playing it with F1C...

Spyker MF1

GP4 is brilliant with all the mods and stuff. The only time I dislike this game is when I do something in a way csm doesn't like(eg adding files) and then it's a pain as you sometimes need to re-install but physics are ace and the mod teams are amazing especially some of the renders they do.
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

modbaraban
modbaraban

I didn't try GP4 but I heard (from Born2Win people - whom I trust) that GP4 has bad physics in comparisson with F1C or rFactor.

Others said that the control buttons are not reassignable, that must be irritating.

On the other site GP4 has really good graphics judging by the screenshots and have more visual upadtes like 2006-7 HUD with TV-style rev/throttle/brake meters etc.

They also say that unlike F1C or rFactor (sims by ISI) GP4 as well as other Geoff Crammond sims has some 'atmosphere'

PS: another pro-F1C thing is that it has lower demands to PC.

@ PNSD - I agree that rFactor may become really the best sim, but it's not yet the case. I'll stick with F1C and have my eyes open :wink:

Spyker MF1

modbaraban wrote:I didn't try GP4 but I heard (from Born2Win people - whom I trust) that GP4 has bad physics in comparisson with F1C or rFactor.
Others said that the control buttons are not reassignable, that must be irritating.

I personally didn't like the physics of RFactor when I tried it and it depends what mod ect you run for gp4 as to the physics. Some are brilliant such as the 2006 mod whereas some others aren't I think the 1989.

Controls are re-assinable but if you haven't tried before I suppose menus may be a bit strange to find out where to.
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

RJC_pt
RJC_pt

Hello there, 1st post here but reader for some time.

About the topic, well comparing rfactor with f1c makes little to none sence cause rfactor's engine is the newer upgraded version of f1c, comparing the quality of the mods is another thing thoe.

Gp4 is rather old, as old fisics and mod teams have to do some triks some times, ie. is not fully ajustable... i never liked the feel of it. And about the grafics, well the best mods in the best tracks in rfactor are better.

If you want to cheeck rfactor and its mods this site is nice ;-) http://www.rfactorcentral.com

LFS(Live for Speed) also as a f1, bmw f1.06 and no real tracks but nice fisics.

PNSD
PNSD

ISI with the help of CTDP have just released the BMW F1.07 for the game, now anyone who doubts rFactors ability for F1cars should download it and drive that car, I thought the earlier released F1.06 was good, but this F1.07 is miles better.

There is so much more feel compared with any F1C car...

Like I said, any doubters should try it, the game is worth the buy...

As for LFS, ive tried it once, and it is a great game, sadly the community is not as large as it is for rFactor, as this is a great game. Also when I first got it, I thought it was alot more complicated to use than rF. However LFS is also probably worth the money, I have yet to purchase this, and probably will not, but thats simply because I dont have money :p

But yea the few hardcore sim racers I know all rate LFS and rF pretty much equal, both games have their ups and downs.

forzasab

Definitely have to say that rFactor's CTDP mod is by far the best "realistic" F1 mod out there.

In a series that i am racing in we have made some minor adjustments to the tyres and have now got pretty realistic wear rates. If you push the engines too hard they will actually blow!!

F1CH 99-02 was a fun game but rFactor has definitely raised the bar and i believe that the makers of GTR2 will be raising the bar next year. :D
Find the line, the speed will come.

naknak_56

Having played R-factor i got to say it's too easy, I found it very arcadey.
F1C isnt to bad, used to play online but there is a lot of issues with online play.
GP4 has by far the best physics out of any of the F1 games ive played and with a bit of modding and the 400% damage mod you wont find better.

As for GTR 2 being number 1 sim?? Did you ever play GTR1? that had much better physics I thought that GTR 2 was too similar to GTL ( witch was blatantly a arcade game.)

forzasab

Like i said, we've made some adjustment to the CTDP mod's tyres and we're having to pit for soft tyres after 15 laps or so, and mediums every 20-25 laps!
If not your tyres will blow!!! :shock:
Find the line, the speed will come.

PNSD
PNSD

CTDP is a really well put together mod...

I was drivng a Jordan at valencia got a good setup,was happy, went out with a BAR and on default setup smashed the best lap time I did wth the Jordan which had extensive setup done ot it lol

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I'm fairly curious how you guys know if a race sim physics engine is accurate or not.

I haven't played any, but intend on it when I finally start work at Goodyear and make some money and have some for a new computer et all. I'm floored by the amount of setup changes you can do in rFactor, and that you can log data and bring it into i2 Pro.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

RH1300S
RH1300S

rFactor will give you great physics, graphics and quality tracks.

Just beware - download the wrong mod and you'll be wondering how people can think rFactor is great :lol: - it's totally dependent on the quality of the modding team (some are terrible).

The phyiscs engine of rFactor is NOT arcady - however a less than realistic mod will make it feel that way (especially if the tyre model is too forgiving).

CTDP 2005 is a stunner and as PNSD says, the BMW F1.07 is amazing (hope I'm correct about this.... :oops: ) this mod is endorsed by BMW, so really should be good.

I race in a GTL League (effectively the same physics engine as rFactor) and I must say the immersion and realism are superb...........not to mention racing the older style cars is sooo much fun :wink: