French GP 2007

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
pRo

Some sites claim that Honda got a LOT faster during the Jerez testing. Apparently they have more or less copied the front suspension from Ferrari, which made them 0,8s faster in Jerez.

I guess we'll soon see if there's any truth in that.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

pRo

1st practice is over.

Kimi and Massa take the first two within a tenth, Alonso 3rd almost 0.8s behind them. Lewis had issues with the car, which froze on the grass and he didn't get too many laps.

jaslfc
jaslfc

lewis with a problem... lets see how he handles abit of bad luck. so far his car and team has been perfect!!
they said the engine safety(blah blah blah) switched off the car.. can we gauge the magnitude of the problem?
even if he needs to change the engine.. would be fantastic to see a fired up hamilton try to cut through the field...

one more thing.. do u know anywhere on the web i can dl or watch a stream of todays practice?

FLC
FLC

They can change the engine on Fridays with no penalty.

Principessa

FLC wrote:They can change the engine on Fridays with no penalty.
If he has a fresh engine this weekend that is

jaslfc
jaslfc

ohh thanks.. so it only going to matter tomorrow if there is any problems

Principessa

No, because if I'm not mistaken, Lewis and Fernando are using the same engine as at Indianapolis. But I've heard that his engine doesn't need replacing...so no problem so far :wink:

Ferrari seems to do better...I believe it will be an exciting qualifying session and race :wink:

vyselegend

I thought on friday teams used different V8, not the races ones... :? Therefore an engine change on friday shouldn't have any repercussion on the grid.

I find it strange that all drivers suddenly praise the track layout (see the selected drivers quotes from official website), now that it has been cancelled for ever (most likely).

I think a lot of people just jumped on the bandwagon saying the track is crap, because it is,but only for people attending the GP at Magny Cours! Not because the layout is bad!
Actually, I admit it is nothing very special, it doesn't compare with a Suzuka or a Silverstone, Monza, etc.. BUT, it is far more interesting (subjective opinion of course) from a driver point of view than, let's say, Hockenheim, Nurburgring, or new tracks like China.

On several simulations and games where I could race on this track, I did found it lead to good races, and the rythm of the track is good, although I'd have like the "golf" straight to be a bit longer before the adelaïde hairpin. If you compare the lap with others frenchs GPs from history (Reims, Dijon-Presnois...) Magny-Cours had the most enjoyable layout IMO.
I strongly hope that wherever they put the new french GP (if there is one!) it won't be a Sepang/Bahrein/China like track, without rythm and personality.

PNSD
PNSD

For a driver magny c is a great track a series of flowing fast corners...

Militia Est Vita

vyselegend wrote: I strongly hope that wherever they put the new french GP (if there is one!) it won't be a Sepang/Bahrein/China like track, without rythm and personality.
Or in other words, a "Tilkelodrome" as Mr. Paul Cahier would say :mrgreen:
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy --- we don't need. - Tyler Durden - Fight Club.

FLC
FLC

I think the fact that it is located in a distant rural area has more with the fact of it been canceled than its layout.

pRo

vyselegend wrote:I thought on friday teams used different V8, not the races ones... :? Therefore an engine change on friday shouldn't have any repercussion on the grid.
They do.

Any engine issue during practice doesn't affect quali or race.

Tom

I enjoy this track on all the games I have, particularely Toca Race Driver where you can T-bone people full speed into Adelaide and enjoy the graphics!

But really, its a track where you can find yourself along way off the pace for no reason then suddenly take a slightly different line into a corner and gain tenths! Tracks aren't made like that any more :(
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Saribro
Saribro

Ferrari running different noses for their drivers:
Kimi:

Felipe:

Granted, small difference, but felt like mentioning it :p.

jaslfc
jaslfc

but end of the day.. will we see a four horse race?