Nose cone idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Romain88

Re: Nose cone idea

Hello,

I'm a new member from France, so, excuse me for my english! :lol: :oops:

2 month ago, I did these nose cone on Solidworks ( I will work with Catia next year. I'm a student of the ESTACA in Paris.)

On this nose cone, you can see the system which would maybe used on the F2008.
Morover, I removed both fixations(bindings) between the front wing and the nose and I fixed the "bridge" on the nose with just one fixation, to improve the airflow under the car.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1044/1111er0.jpg

Astro1
Astro1

Although, not ruled out, I doubt Ferrari would use a (McLaren) bridge wing on their car due to a reletively high nosecone.

However...

Can you save the file in a different format such as CAD etc so that somebody here could run a CFD simulation.

Thanks.

Romain88

I know that Ferrari will not use a bridge. Tis nose cone is just a way to show my idea with any fixations between the front wing and the nose. Moreover, I made this quickly and it would be not very interessant to run a CFD simulation. :wink: But, if someone would try, why not... :wink:

Nelis
Nelis

What if you would extend the second nose further down. So you would essentially create another nose after the first nose piece.

I think this would solve the aerodynamic problems of losing the downforce because there will be more air flowing over the top of the car than under the car thus creating more downforce. Or am I missing something here.

Astro1
Astro1

Well, now things are getting intresting!

Manchild..get your lawyers together! I expect a little cut. LOL

According to the member AFCA this info comes from Autosprint for the 2nd time now after the launch of the F2008.
On the 19th of February Ferrari will introduce (undoubtedly among other things) new sidepods and a new nose with a tunnel in it.
http://forums.autosport.com/showthread. ... enumber=51

If anybody can dig this "MYTHICAL" article up it be nice.

checkered

Sadly I'm not

currently an "Autosprint" subscriber ... but it's on the cover, titled "Arma segreta". The magazine has done a bit of photoshopping too, and their idea seems to be a relatively small NACA duct emerging from the top of the nose fairly close to the tip. Other information is in short supply. My first impression is that in a certain "window" of speeds such an arrangement might benefit the airbox intake flow somewhat ... doesn't look like a significant downforce solution to me. I understand Autosprint is well connected within Maranello, but that by itself does little to confirm or deny that this development actually exists. If it does, I expect the front wing to be redesigned accordingly.

Astro1
Astro1

Perhaps a way to simply reduce the drag penelty of the cooling vent for the drivers feet.

manchild
manchild

Astro1 wrote:Perhaps a way to simply reduce the drag penelty of the cooling vent for the drivers feet.
Than they'd move safety net backwards, beneath the outlet. AS photo shows no logic.

Look:

rjsa
rjsa

AFCA, at the autosport forums, is very well informed, makes me wonder...

jaho101

manchild wrote:
Astro1 wrote:Perhaps a way to simply reduce the drag penelty of the cooling vent for the drivers feet.
Than they'd move safety net backwards, beneath the outlet. AS photo shows no logic.

Look:
It'd make an interesting place to put the electronics, you get some weight in the front and cool the electronics at the same time. Probably not possible with the SECU though.

manchild
manchild

jaho101 wrote:It'd make an interesting place to put the electronics.
What happens with the car after minor incident where nose is damaged? How does it reach the pits for a change without part of electronics? How does a car function while damaged nose is removed and replaced with new one without part of electronics?

Belatti
Belatti

jaho101 wrote: It'd make an interesting place to put the electronics, you get some weight in the front and cool the electronics at the same time. Probably not possible with the SECU though.
That´s the worst idea I have heard man!
Why putting such a sensible and important part in the nose of the car? It doesn´t add weigt, electronics are very light. It doesn´t need too much cooling, too. How would you change a damaged nose if it is wired?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Tom

Not everything needs wires, you could just have contact patches. I've heard of much worse idea, and electronics do need cooling. The advantages are outweighed however, i'd imagine electronics are best placed high up because they're lighter and allow more room for heavier components lower down.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Gilles 27

I think, that the advantage that you have with this Nose, is simply: To have a lower Wings angle, with same Downforce at the Front. Lower Angle more speed 8)

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

The ferrari is going to test a hole in the nose between the Fiat and Matini logos - as detailed here..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65025

It will, according to Honda's Geoff Willis "..probably...use the central part of the front wing in a better way. You see, the way they're designed, the wings generate an area of very high pressure at that point. If you have an opening on the nose you can alleviate that pressure by letting the air get off upwards."

:idea:
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners