Le Mans 24 hours 2008

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
modbaraban
modbaraban

Re: Le Mans 24 hours 2008

It's going well so far! I support cars #7 and #009 :D

I even made this forum signature pic (that's apparently too big for this furum), here it is anyway.

West
West

I woke up at 4:45 AM Pacific Time to watch the start, and watched around four to five hours of coverage on SPEED (before they switched to NASCAR). They're going to go back on around 6PM I think.

So far... Peugeots are awfully quick; the Aston Lola was a surprise (as well as Dome)... and it looks to be there's going to be another Aston - Corvette battle in GT1.

Question: What's the difference between Peugeot Sport Total and Team Peugeot Total?
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

joseff

West wrote:So far... Peugeots are awfully quick;
Yet amazingly, after 12 hours of racing there's only 1 lap between the #7 Peugeot and #2 Audi.

modbaraban
modbaraban

What's happening to the Pugz? :shock:

EDIT: JV is back in P1... but it RAINS NOW :shock:

Ray

I'm betting the radiator issue on the Peugeots is going to haunt them later. Especially now that rain is falling and the softer rain tires are being used. When it stops and dries out all that rubber is going to screw them up. I'm not too happy to see Team Corvette not doing as well as I hoped. Still a long way to go and unfortunately I've been at work and missed all of the tv broadcast. I have to work tomorrow too, but thanks to radio lemans I've kept the stream going at work so at least I can follow it.

WhiteBlue

JV kept it on the road but the Audis are generally faster. Kristensen has taken a minute out of the Peugeot in half an hour. P1 Audi now and the sun is rising.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

modbaraban
modbaraban

What's the hell's wrong with the timing... it doesn't look that live, does it?

I keep getting quite different data here and here. And both of these contradict the info mentioned by the commentators on Eurosport :roll:

WhiteBlue

Peugeot are indeed running J-dampers as one could see the very minute. They changed the whole aero kit front and rear on Lamy's car.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Carlos
Carlos

West
West

Speed was commenting that the Peugeot team is running too stiff for a wet track. Hence the trailing car trying a different setup... but it's been slower AFAIK. Hopefully it will stop raining soon and they will pick up the pace again. Those pitstops for the radiators really killed them though.

I am not disappointed in Corvette; it's just that Aston Martin has a really good car this year. It's been back and forth for a long time until recently.

I wish there was more coverage on the GT2 class. It's kind of annoying to see only Audi, Peugeot, and Corvette.

I'm going to sleep... wanna be awake for the last hour of racing.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

WhiteBlue wrote:Peugeot are indeed running J-dampers as one could see the very minute. They changed the whole aero kit front and rear on Lamy's car.
what do you mean by J-damper? there is a good pic of the Peugeot's back end on Mulsanne's Corner: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/peugeot908-1.html

do you mean that bit on the back there or something else?

modbaraban
modbaraban

I've been awake for over 20 hours by now and really hoping to see the whole race, so the yawning mechanics do annoy me a bit :)

I don't think it's the overheating that harmed the 908s the most. They just aren't fast/consistent enough on the wet. And unfortunately it doesn't look like drying out at all so far.

Scuderia_Russ

modbaraban wrote:I've been awake for over 20 hours by now and really hoping to see the whole race, so the yawning mechanics do annoy me a bit :)
If you've been up for twenty hours then they have probably been up for thirty! Ther is talk of us doing the Britcar 24hr race next year which is going to be a right mission! :(
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

modbaraban
modbaraban

Scuderia_Russ wrote:If you've been up for twenty hours then they have probably been up for thirty!
Each and every of those guys in endurance racing have all my respect, as I experienced a couple of 3 hour simulator races in GT1 (all 3hrs without driver swaps) including the nordschleife. And if that was very hard, I then struggle to imagine how hard the real thing is :shock: I was just pointing out that yawning is contagious.

WhiteBlue

RacingManiac wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Peugeot are indeed running J-dampers as one could see the very minute. They changed the whole aero kit front and rear on Lamy's car.
what do you mean by J-damper? there is a good pic of the Peugeot's back end on Mulsanne's Corner: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/peugeot908-1.html

do you mean that bit on the back there or something else?
No, they took the nose off and one could see the damper arrangement. The German commentators knew what it was and talked about it.