Italian GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Re: Italian GP 2008

Great win for Vettel, i hope he gets a good car at RBR for 2009!
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Vasco

What an awesome race.....super drive by Vettel, and as for Heikki, well he just fits the No.2 position well. Superb drive by Kubica and Hamilton. I don't really care if some of Hamilton's moves were crazy but hell its about time we saw some real racing and wheel banging....absolutely fantastic.

Its really pleasing to watch all these talented young drivers coming through and re-energizing the sport. F1 should get rid of these old "safe" drivers like coulthard, webber and co....we need more of vettel and co....

Conceptual
Conceptual

A huge congrats to Vettel! Does anyone have any news about Coulthard retiring after this race?

I find it hard to believe that Vettel would want to move to RBR this year after the showing that STR has had in the last few weeks.

If RBR doesn't trade in the Renault engines for Ferrari ones next year, it is going to be very dismal for Vettel.

I hope that with the recent showing by STR, that maybe there will be a different scenario playing out than has been previously discussed.

Chris

myurr
myurr

Tomba wrote:
shotzski wrote:What a very intense race! A very deserving win for Vettel(though I wasn't ruing for him :lol: ) Congrats also both to Heikki and Robert for their podium finishes. Great race also from Hamilton; a very aggressive one. I'm a big fan of aggressive driving, but I thought Lewis's moves were at some point, very bullish. But that's racing, and I loved it. =D>
Well, I think Hamilton fans should stay quiet now, because his driving towards Glock and Webber was absolutely outrageous. He can be very very happy that no penalty was given.

Actually it's fairly simple, you MUST leave room for your competitor when he is aside you, and pushing them off the track is something I cannot except at all.

Such showing immediately reminded me of some of the much discussed moved of Michael Schumacher, such as driving off Alonso at Silverstone or deliberately banging into competitors...
Being honest I would be shocked if he deliberately pushed Glock off track - I just don't think he saw him and didn't expect him to have had such good traction out of the chicane.

The move on Webber was harsh, and at the limit of what is acceptable. But no worse than what Kimi had done to him at the previous race - and I also described that as harsh but fair. Many people had said that in that situation Kimi was in the right and Lewis should have backed off - I believe even Webber commented to that effect. Wonder if they all think Webber should have backed off in this situation. Afterall Lewis had the corner, being on the inside. Exactly the same as Kimi in Belgium.

myurr
myurr

Vasco wrote:What an awesome race.....super drive by Vettel, and as for Heikki, well he just fits the No.2 position well. Superb drive by Kubica and Hamilton. I don't really care if some of Hamilton's moves were crazy but hell its about time we saw some real racing and wheel banging....absolutely fantastic.

Its really pleasing to watch all these talented young drivers coming through and re-energizing the sport. F1 should get rid of these old "safe" drivers like coulthard, webber and co....we need more of vettel and co....
Yeah almost forgot that Kubica came through from 11th, he was quite anonymous but it must have been great drive by him as well.

WhiteBlue

Wow, what a race for Vettel and Toro Rosso!!! They never put a foot wrong in both qualifying and race and had the luck that matched their hard work. My commiserations go to Sebastien Bourdais who suffered a technical problem on the grid and went from P4 to lapped before the race was really on. He brought the car home and must feel shattered to see his team mate have all the good luck. It will be interesting to see how things will pan out with the test. Sato will be driving hard for his seat.

Massa deserves praise for keeping a cool head and the car on the track at all times. He was also lucky not to have a tyre failure after he went through debris at the end of the race. Kimi was a bit disappointing. He certainly had a lot of speed on the drying track but the Ferrari was obviously struggling to get heat into tyres in the wet and Massa can cope with this better than Kimi.

Kovalainen did not use the potential of the McLaren as Hamilton certainly did. He showed an inspired drive which was awesome to watch. I agree with the other posters that he was unfairly driving Glock off the track if he saw him. The stewards gave him the benefit of doubt but Glock has said that he will retailiate in kind when they meet next time on track.

Coulthard and Alonso were the first drivers to switch on inters and Alonso just got it right. It was one of the better races for him this year.

Bad luck for Rosberg who lost time at his first stop with a malfunctioning fuel rigg. He made the wrong tyre stop forcing him from a 1 stopper to two stops and was involved in some scraps and a collision if I saw right.

BMW got the strategy right and was rewarded in the end. Kubica was heavier than Heidfeld and still made a better start. He also performed better in the wet part of the race which surprised me.

I loved to see Gerhard Berger on the podium. He praised Giorgio Askanelli who joined Toro Rosso from Ferrari and was instrumental in preparing the car. The team deserves the win. The victors will be equally popular with the paddock and the fans. nice to hear the German anthem and the Italian on the podium which we did not enjoy since 2006. so a fantastic race all round. I'm off for a beer on victors.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Belatti
Belatti

=D> for Vettel. That was like Senna in Monaco 84´ or Estoril 85´ and like Schoemaker in Belgium 92´. The kid has got "the halo" of the racing gods. And so does Lewis. Excellent driving for him! I´m pleased to see true racing drivers.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

chasefreak
chasefreak

Kubica is just 14 points away
he seems to have a shot at the title too
i still feel it is a 3 way battle to the title

modbaraban
modbaraban

Dispite the fantastic performance in the wet by Lewis, I was quite disappointed by him as a racer. (trying to avoid foul words now) HOW ON EARTH WASN'T HE BLACK FLAGGED? What a little bastard!
Apart from the things mentioned above he also nearly cut the nose off Alonso while overtaking him before T1. That's 3 dirty incidents by him + several questionable overtakings in Della Roggia (Massa was forced to fall back after a similar passing).

Overall though the race was fanatstic. I especially loved the Massa-Rosberg battle lasting the whole 1st sector non-stop! Wow!
Newey designed cars were actually better than Ferrari today. i can't really understand how Kimi set that best lap in the end as his car seemed to be all over the place every time he showed up on the screen.

Well Vettel... he was the best ever since yesetrday and till the checkered flag.

myurr
myurr

modbaraban wrote:Dispite the fantastic performance in the wet by Lewis, I was quite disappointed by him as a racer. (trying to avoid foul words now) HOW ON EARTH WASN'T HE BLACK FLAGGED? What a little bastard!
Apart from the things mentioned above he also nearly cut the nose off Alonso while overtaking him before T1. That's 3 dirty incidents by him + several questionable overtakings in Della Roggia (Massa was forced to fall back after a similar passing).

Overall though the race was fanatstic. I especially loved the Massa-Rosberg battle lasting the whole 1st sector non-stop! Wow!
Newey designed cars were actually better than Ferrari today. i can't really understand how Kimi set that best lap in the end as his car seemed to be all over the place every time he showed up on the screen.

Well Vettel... he was the best ever since yesetrday and till the checkered flag.
Oh puh-leeese. He did nothing wrong to Alonso - he didn't touch him, and was moving quicker at that time - all he did was take up the racing line.

Pushing Glock off was unfortunate, but I honestly don't think he saw him - he was looking in his mirror to the inside, presumably to try and spot him in case he was trying to come pass.

And finally the move on Webber was very similar to to what Kimi did to Lewis in the last race - and you didn't complain about it then. In fact you said that Lewis should have backed off. In this case Lewis was ahead and had the inside line.

The FOZ
The FOZ

Hamilton did, indeed, show terrible sportsmanship and flouted the rules numerous times, in my view.

I just don't get it. Twice now this season, Lewis & Co have cried foul about how a ruling came down upon him. And yet he continues to stir the pot and take risky moves.

You play with fire, you're gonna get burned. I think it's that simple.

Lewis is clearly a good driver, but very undisciplined and can't seem to see what he does from any point of view other than his own. I'd like to see him mature a lot before he ever wins a championship, or else his ego and bad attitude will only be encouraged by success.

The FOZ
The FOZ

myurr wrote:Oh puh-leeese. He did nothing wrong to Alonso - he didn't touch him, and was moving quicker at that time - all he did was take up the racing line.

Pushing Glock off was unfortunate, but I honestly don't think he saw him - he was looking in his mirror to the inside, presumably to try and spot him in case he was trying to come pass.

And finally the move on Webber was very similar to to what Kimi did to Lewis in the last race - and you didn't complain about it then. In fact you said that Lewis should have backed off. In this case Lewis was ahead and had the inside line.
Very typical response from a blind Hamilton lover.

Message starts off "He did nothing wrong"

Then "So and so did something similar in some other circumstance some other time and got away with it"

Yes, Lewis Hamilton fans, if you know the sport well enough, you can come up with an example of someone else doing something similar to Hamilton in the past. But seriously, Hamilton pulls this kind of sh!t almost every race now! So come up with all the excuses you like, at the end of the day, Hamilton keeps putting himself in questionable positions, which is nobody's fault but his own.

myurr
myurr

The FOZ wrote:
Very typical response from a blind Hamilton lover.

Message starts off "He did nothing wrong"

Then "So and so did something similar in some other circumstance some other time and got away with it"

Yes, Lewis Hamilton fans, if you know the sport well enough, you can come up with an example of someone else doing something similar to Hamilton in the past. But seriously, Hamilton pulls this kind of sh!t almost every race now! So come up with all the excuses you like, at the end of the day, Hamilton keeps putting himself in questionable positions, which is nobody's fault but his own.
Suppose you're not at all biased then? And for the record I referenced the very last race, not something that happened 37 years ago so your argument is pretty lame.

Personally I've enjoyed the last couple of races and the raw racing we've witnessed. I didn't think Kimi did anything wrong in Spa, and I don't think Hamilton did anything wrong in this race (assuming that he didn't see Glock). I also don't think that Massa should have been told to give that place back, but maybe the stewards could see something we couldn't.

tomislavp4

Great work form Torro Rosso and Vettel =D>
I thought that he would hold the p1 spot the first say 10 laps max

I´m also dissapointed in Hamilton though [-X

JamesS
JamesS

Great drive from Lewis, did exactly what others do when overtaking and did it MULTIPLE times without braking the car. Others, including so called experienced drivers, aka Coulthard, end up out of the race when defending from an overtaking car. Lewis on the other hand recovers from 15th on the grid, ends up 7th and if it had rained again, would have won. The criticism for the lad bemuses me.

The Webber "incident": Lewis had the inside line, was half a car length ahead of Webber. Why is Lewis supposed to back out in that situation!?!?!

Massa was gifted a championship leading moment and fluffed it.