Chinese GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GTO

Re: 2008 Chinese Grand Prix

n smikle wrote:Look on the front page of F1.com.. there was not much Ferrari could do, LH was just faster that day.

Domenicali mystified by Ferrari’s lack of pace in China

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... /8573.html
They were thinking about attacking from 2nd & 3rd place after qualifying had already taken place. What I suggested was Ferrari could have developed a different qualifying strategy for one of their cars (more agressive 3 stop race) to make sure one car would start the race in front of Lewis.

Perhaps they again underestimated the Mac quali pace and thought Kimi or Massa could qualify on pole. Not a brilliant strategy imho. In the past, it was races such as this that the Schumi/Brawn tandem (Shumi's race pace & Brawn's brains) would make the difference when their car were out performed by Mika's.)

GTO

Also, when Ferrari found that they could not match the Lewis's pace, why not short fuel Kimi in the first pit stop to allow him to get out in front?

shotzski

Will the 2 Ferraris have new powerplants for the last race? As for Mclaren, i believe Heikki will have a new engine, while Lewis will have the same engine used in China.

alvinkhorfire
alvinkhorfire

GTO wrote:The Ferrari team strategy was pathetic. :x Massa needed the win & finish ahead of Lewis. They should have done one of the following:
1)low fueled Massa in quali to get pole to try & control race pace. Massa has done well from pole.
2)used Kimi as 'hare' --> low fueled him in quali to get pole to try & control race pace & slow Lewis
3)short fueled Kimi in 1st pit stop to get in front of Lewis & control race pace & slow Lewis

Why did they have both cars on same 2 stop strategy? ](*,) Why not try something different like Schumacher/Brawn used to do? #-o
Yeah, you are right. They should have try something different with the race strategy. These days, I keep getting the feeling that the race strategy used by Ferrari now is bit "bland" compared to the days of Schumacher/Brawn. :( :(
Man, we do need both Schumacher and Brawn back in the team. But, I guess that would be impossible.

mcdenife
mcdenife

Also, when Ferrari found that they could not match the Lewis's pace, why not short fuel Kimi in the first pit stop to allow him to get out in front?
I am not sure they could have got kimi in front of Lewis at the first stop, a)LH was ahead by about 4s and both stopped the same lap, so Mcl would have covered it. b) they could have brought Kimi in earlier and short filled him as you suggested but they would have had to know when LH was going to stop to gain any advantage and also Mcl may well then have brought LH in earlier as well to cover the threat.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Krispy
Krispy

alvinkhorfire wrote: Man, we do need both Schumacher and Brawn back in the team.
Schumacher was a great driver....and we all see how well Brawn is doing over at Honda :roll: :lol:
"In order to finish first, you must first finish"-Stirling Moss

Conceptual
Conceptual

Krispy wrote:
alvinkhorfire wrote: Man, we do need both Schumacher and Brawn back in the team.
Schumacher was a great driver....and we all see how well Brawn is doing over at Honda :roll: :lol:
Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was Ferrari...

Honda is bound to be competitive within the next 2-3 years, and as long as the rule changes don't remove half of the manufacturer teams, we could be in for some VERY good racing in 2009-2012. Especially with 2007/08 going right to the wire!

Chris

GTO

Krispy wrote: Schumacher was a great driver....and we all see how well Brawn is doing over at Honda :roll: :lol:
Brawn is now team principal at Honda, not tech. director like at Ferrari. I'm sure he is not involved in issues like race strategy now. Just because he is at Honda does not raise their game in all areas automatically.