BBC unveils new F1 presenting teams

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Re: BBC unveils new F1 presenting teams

A great video of great F1 moments..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 925005.stm

Some great moments like Piquet fighting Salazar on track, Mansell giving Senna a lift on his Williams & Prost Senna crash....

The soundtrack sounds like a dubstep version of "the chain" - could well be the theme tune for the coverage on the beeb?..
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

MattF1
MattF1

They'll probably play this tune when they show graphics like the grid lineup graphic and the table, in similar way to ITV used a more upbeat version of their theme tune for the same purpose.

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

Ray wrote:
donskar wrote:A big cast of (some) qualified people.

Unlike SPEED TV's pathetic effort: three guys sitting in a room in Connecticut USA, watching the race on TV and trying their best to add something of value.

Matchett is fine, but "Dyvid 'Obbs" is far from contemporary in the know, and the Other Guy is just a professional voice.

And for this I get up at 6 AM! #-o
Actually donskar, they do the broadcast from Charlotte. Hobbo is a great opposite to Matchett. I think he's funny as hell, and he's got a great sense of humor and I think it would be worse off without him. I'm assuming you mean Varsha is 'the Other Guy'. He's been commentating on Speed for nearly 10 years and worked in that capacity covering F1 for other stations for year before that. You can see him braodcasting when Senna was killed 15 years ago. How long does he have to be involved before he's credible? It's not their fault Speed is too cheap to send them to the races. Peter 'Hamilton' doesn't even work for Speed directly. If they'd get rid of that idiot, Speeds' coverage would improve about a billion percent. He's as bad as James Allen. Both are slobbering idiots when Hamilton is on screen or they get a chance to talk about him.

I don't remember Peter Windsor shilling for Hamilton, he wasn't anywhere near as badly knee-worn as James Allen was. Is there another Peter you're talking about?

David Hobbs has a racing background, but he has all the charm of a right-wing morning radio talk show host. He makes SpeedTV look bush league compared to ITV even at its Hamilton heyday

Conceptual
Conceptual

captainmorgan wrote:
Ray wrote:
donskar wrote:A big cast of (some) qualified people.

Unlike SPEED TV's pathetic effort: three guys sitting in a room in Connecticut USA, watching the race on TV and trying their best to add something of value.

Matchett is fine, but "Dyvid 'Obbs" is far from contemporary in the know, and the Other Guy is just a professional voice.

And for this I get up at 6 AM! #-o
Actually donskar, they do the broadcast from Charlotte. Hobbo is a great opposite to Matchett. I think he's funny as hell, and he's got a great sense of humor and I think it would be worse off without him. I'm assuming you mean Varsha is 'the Other Guy'. He's been commentating on Speed for nearly 10 years and worked in that capacity covering F1 for other stations for year before that. You can see him braodcasting when Senna was killed 15 years ago. How long does he have to be involved before he's credible? It's not their fault Speed is too cheap to send them to the races. Peter 'Hamilton' doesn't even work for Speed directly. If they'd get rid of that idiot, Speeds' coverage would improve about a billion percent. He's as bad as James Allen. Both are slobbering idiots when Hamilton is on screen or they get a chance to talk about him.

I don't remember Peter Windsor shilling for Hamilton, he wasn't anywhere near as badly knee-worn as James Allen was. Is there another Peter you're talking about?

David Hobbs has a racing background, but he has all the charm of a right-wing morning radio talk show host. He makes SpeedTV look bush league compared to ITV even at its Hamilton heyday
Are you kidding? Windsor looked like a little girl that has to pee really bad whenever he talked to/about Hamilton in 2007. The man/boy love was actually a bit apalling, and I switched to ITV coverage just to get away from Windsor!

I must say tho, I don't quite recall hearing anything Allen said that was that bad. I was shocked when I realized who I was listening to after reading a TON of flap about him. I was like "Oh, that's that guy that everyone says is on his knees for Hamilton.", but I never heard it from him myself.

But Windsor, well, I'm sure that he kisses his life sized Lewis "Wet Dream" Hamilton doll before bed...

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

I have both the ITV adn Speed footage of most of the last few years races and must say that I enjoy the SpeedTV more..

I think Varsha is a comedy guy and David Hobbs is class...Matchett is good too.

James Allen was getting better but he tried to be Murray Walker too much and failed.

Hope the BBC do a better job but I would watch it without commentary and enjoy it I am that sad :o
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

NDR008
NDR008

To be fair, so far my favourite coverage of F1 (including pre-race) has been the Italian's Rai coverage - they get technical, CFD/CAD models, technical explanations etc.

Obviously every coverage will have some bias of pro and against one driver or another.

I think ITV dumbed down F1 too much, and made too many mistakes in their commentry.

Personally, between ITV and SpeedTV - I preferred Speed's. Sure they have a bit of the silly American over-drama to it, but they spoke to people, got the dirty info, and technical replays explaining what contrevarsies were all about - while ITV just presented things as 'Hamilton is good because...' or the 'The world is a bitch because McLaren/Hamilton have had this ..........injustice done to them'. I mean even Kov was barely mentioned on ITV, it was Hamilton, and what Massa did to Hamilton. I am all for patriotism, but ITV some times got to carried away.

jddh1

NDR008 wrote:To be fair, so far my favourite coverage of F1 (including pre-race) has been the Italian's Rai coverage - they get technical, CFD/CAD models, technical explanations etc.

Obviously every coverage will have some bias of pro and against one driver or another.

I think ITV dumbed down F1 too much, and made too many mistakes in their commentry.

Personally, between ITV and SpeedTV - I preferred Speed's. Sure they have a bit of the silly American over-drama to it, but they spoke to people, got the dirty info, and technical replays explaining what contrevarsies were all about - while ITV just presented things as 'Hamilton is good because...' or the 'The world is a bitch because McLaren/Hamilton have had this ..........injustice done to them'. I mean even Kov was barely mentioned on ITV, it was Hamilton, and what Massa did to Hamilton. I am all for patriotism, but ITV some times got to carried away.
I wish I could get RAI. You just reminded me of the days when I was younger. Now, here in the States I can't get that. But I also think Speed is better than ITV. By a lot if you ask me.
They're not comparable to RAI and the old RTL days because Speed won't shell out the money for the coverage. I think if they had the funds to create the 3D vids to explain things better they would. I see Speed uses it for Nascar, so it's not like they don't know how to.
And even ESPN Star (Asia) is better than ITV.
Shame on the Brits for such poor coverage actually.